Saturday, September 24, 2011

Oh.

I had my date with Chris last night and it went fine. We made out for awhile and there was some definite boob groping towards the end of the night. I asked if he wanted to come up and “have some coffee” but he blew me off, too! Something about a math exam… Why aren’t the men I’m dating willing to sleep with me!? I would like some meaningless sex please!

But what I really want to talk about are my friends and how much they are annoying me.

Anna, Zoey, Molly, and I went out to breakfast this morning and then to a farmer’s market down my street to shop for fresh produce. I had scrambled eggs, toast, hashbrowns, and an orange juice while Anna had a ham and cheese omelet, a side of strawberries, and coffee; Zoey had a stack of pancakes with a side of bacon, hashbrowns, and a grapefruit juice; and Molly had Belgian waffles with a latte.

“I don’t know why he blew me off you guys! We were having a great time and I made it very clear that we were going-”

“How do you know he was lying though?” Molly asked cutting into her waffles.

“Because who uses that excuse when they are presented with a sure thing?” I said taking a bite of toast.

“Maybe he really did have an early meeting, Faith.” Anna said soothingly over her cup of coffee.

I gave her an eye roll.

“Well, even if he did lie, are you going to go out with him again?” Zoey asked.

“We have another date scheduled for Tuesday.” I said.

“Then why don’t you just ask him if he lied and see what the deal is?” Zoey said.

I sighed.

“No, that would just make things awkward. Besides, if Randy doesn’t want to have sex, then I have someone else who will...eventually.” I said shrugging and putting a forkful of eggs in my mouth.

“Um. Who?” Zoey asked taking a sip of juice.

“This guy I’ve been dating. Well actually two.”

The three of them shared a look.

“Just how many guys are you dating, Faith?” Molly asked.

“Three. Why?”

“Well…what exactly is your goal?” Anna said leaning forward a little.

“What do you mean?” I asked a little angrily.

“What, exactly, are you doing?”

I stared at her blankly.

“Faith, are you really looking to get back into a relationship right now?” Zoey asked after putting her fork down.

“Of course not. I’m just having fun! I’m dating.” I said, “I’m putting myself out there and meeting new people, and, eventually, I’ll be having great sex.”

“Do these three guys know about each other?” Molly asked.

“No. And they don’t need to. I’m not in a relationship with any of them. We are just dating.”

The three of them didn’t say anything.

“What!?” I asked exasperatedly.

“Come on, Faith. Do you really think you should be doing this? Even if you are just having fun do you honestly think you are emotionally ready for getting involved with other guys right now?” Zoey said harshly.

“Yes. I do. I’m fine. I’ve moved on.”

I knew this would eventually come up. I don’t understand why my friends are being so overbearing about my love life right now. Molly dated a bunch of other guys before her and Calvin decided to get into the non-relationship they’re in (nope they still haven’t had “the talk”). I’m just getting myself out there. Isn’t that better than being mopey and self-pitying in my apartment?

“You guys broke up just over a month ago, Faith. You were together for more than a year! You were engaged! There’s a certain amount of grieving time you’re allowed to take…” Anna said.

“And I don’t need it! I spent the majority of my relationship with Sean grieving for our relationship, especially towards the end. It was over as soon as he told me he cheated on me. We may have tried but it was over long before it ended, okay? Can you guys just drop it?” I said getting angry.

“Fine.” Zoey said stonily.

“Faith, have you…uh…heard from him at all?” Molly asked meekly. I glared at her.

“No.”

“Have you been reading the paper?” Anna asked just as meekly.

“I work at a newspaper; I’m up to date on current events.” I said acidly.

“That’s not what we’re talking about…” Zoey said quietly, “Faith, the tour has been put on hiatus. Their last show is in three weeks. He’s not going to be on tour anymore.”

I nearly choked on my eggs.

“WHAT!?” I practically screamed it. People were looking at our table with disgruntled or concerned looks. I could feel my face getting hot.

“Apparently someone was laundering money at his record company and so everything currently happening has to be put on hold during the investigation. The tour has been put on an indefinite hiatus along with everything else the record label was involved in. The article we all saw was that they’ll play in the area like they did before the tour but they can’t continue to the tour until the investigation is completely closed which could take months.” Zoey said.

“Or years.” Anna corrected.

I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

“H-he’s coming back?”

“Looks like it. He didn’t tell you?” Zoey asked.

“We haven’t spoken or been in contact s-since I kicked him out.” I said still in complete shock.

I excused myself, paid my bill, and went home. I don’t know what to think right now. I have my date with Hank tonight and I have to go get ready for it. I don’t know what to say.

10 comments:

  1. The last time Faith had meaningless sex it turned into a relationship. I'm not saying that will repeat itself, hopefully Faith comes up with a new way to deal with breakups. She insists that she is fine, the same thing she did after Kevin/before Sean until Sean refused to accept her false I'm-absolutely-fine act. I don't believe Faith is fine only because this indifference and stubbornness is how she acts when she is hurt. I think she is unintentionally waiting for someone to rescue her; her casual dating prospects are temporary (since she insists she doesn't want a relationship) and till the next time she gets into a relationship, is she not going to address her underlying feelings. Faith needs to realize her stubbornness isn't strength and her anger doesn't mean she is ready to move on, it just points to how hurt/affected she is

    ReplyDelete
  2. *is she not going to address her underlying feelings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, faith is kind of coming off as a skank, no wonder none of these guys want to sleep with her. they're all probably looking for MEANINGFUL relationships. second, she needs to stop blaming her friends for actually CARING about her and wanting her to have a healthy mind before involving herself with men (molly got to date all those guys because she was in the right frame of mind, which Faith is definitely not in). And finally, faith clearly needs to have a long drawn out conversation with sean where she screams at him and tells him how much he ruined her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith isn't coming off as a skank. She's coming off as normal. She's coming off as someone who wants to date people casually before jumping back into monogamy. men do the same thing all the time and no one judges them for it. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I know where she's coming from, about the whole "spending a relationship mourning for it before it actually ended" thing. It happens when you're in a shitty relationship.

    I hope she'll be okay learning that Sean is back in town. Just because she's upset that he will be around doesn't mean she isn't ready to start moving on. Sometimes thinking about my ex upsets me, and we broke up years ago, and I'm living with someone right now (who I'm much happier with.) Sometimes we just get stuck dwelling in the past and it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been thinking that Faith is coming off as skanky, but that's not because she's a woman. For the record, I also think that men who operate the same way are skanky, but then I was a kid before the time when randomly sleeping with people we barely knew wasn't taboo. I understand wanting to have fun, but she doesn't know her friends well enough to realize that they're not of the same mindset?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she's in complete and total denial. She is going to come crashing back to reality and it's nice that she has friends that already realize this. Poor Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, Star. Been thinking it the whole time. mum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being this desperate (for lack of a better description) is out of character for Faith. It's definitely going to crash down - I mean, she's going out with men she isn't even interested in. Her reaction to finding out that Sean will be back in town was pretty telling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...Faith seemed a wee bit trampy with the new guy...its quite apparent that he is interested in more then just hooking up...and she hasnt been clear with him or more importantly with herself. I have to agree with the others that she is probably going to crash soon and everything will come out. :( good thing she has great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @nova - and a great therapist. LOL

    this was a good post. idk if we can call it A "twist" (we all sort of knew we werent quite done with Sean) but this is interesting!!
    I really cannot wait to see what happens next! =]

    ReplyDelete