Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Next!

Tonight I had my date with Todd. I got home after work and did my hair; pulled back and up with loose curls. Then I set about looking for the perfect outfit. I went with a cobalt blue dress with black lace accents around the bust and hem line and then paired it with a pair of black strappy shoes and a light gray cardigan. I redid my make-up, fed Murphy, and headed out the door to go meet him.

Our plan was to meet at a funky bar and grill downtown, have some drinks and share an appetizer, and if things went well, we’d have dinner together. I was nervous before I got there. I don’t know why but I think it might have had something to do with the fact that this was my first blind date and Todd and I found each other on the internet. I know it seems outdated but meeting people from the internet in real life terrifies me. My parents were constantly warning me about the dangers of meeting people from the internet as a kid and so there’s still a taboo about it for me.

I found the bar and grill fairly easily but took a few minutes outside to pull myself together and relax a little bit. Then I sent a text to Anna, Molly, and Zoey, telling them Todd’s full name and where we were meeting. When I went in I saw Todd almost immediately and sensed something was off. He waved me over to the bar where he was sitting, there were three bottles of beer sitting in front of him, all empty and he was really hyper.

“Faith?” He asked as I came over. I smiled and nodded as I sat down on the bar stool next to him.

The bar tender came over with two more beers and placed them in front of us.

“I got here a bit early. I hope you don’t mind.” Todd said motioning to the three empty beer bottles.

“Uh…it’s okay.” I said hesitantly.

We decided on an appetizer (mozzarella sticks) and while we were waiting for them (the bar was really busy so it took awhile) Todd moved on to harder liquor. I hadn’t finished my beer yet so I declined when he asked me if I wanted him to order two gin and tonics instead of one. By the time we finished our mozzarella sticks, Todd was so drunk that our date ended shortly after with me putting him in a cab and sending him home, but not before he tried to drunkenly cop a feel and shove his tongue down my throat. Luckily, he was so drunk that he missed and ended up kissing the side of the cab. I was pretty embarrassed. There were people who had been standing outside the bar and grill watching me try to wrangle him into the cab and as I went to walk to the train I noticed they were giving me sympathetic looks.

So the first date was a wash but I’m not discouraged! I still have two more dates scheduled for this week and I’m sure they won’t be as bad as this one.

2 comments:

  1. lol - that's a pretty funny post.....poor Faith...ah well..on to the next ones..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember dating online. That's where I meet my husband but I don't miss it at all. It's hard to distinguish the bad from the good.

    ReplyDelete