Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Handfuls

Something interesting happened today: I was asked out on a date. I was coming home after running a bunch of errands (grocery shopping, picking up some cat food and dry cleaning, etc.) and stopped to pick up my mail. There was this guy in the mail room with his dog on a leash. He was wearing a burgundy sweater and his hair was windswept. I smiled as I opened my mail box when his dig became interested in the bag of groceries I was holding and tried to jump up to inspect it further.

“Lady, no!” He said as she (a black lab) tried to get at the bushel of greens hanging out of my bag, “I’m really sorry.” He said as he pulled her over to him and had her sit down.

“It’s fine, really. How old is she?” I asked bending down to let her sniff my hand.

“She’ll be a year in about a month. She’s a handful sometimes.” He said.

“I hear ya. I have a cat and he can be a handful sometimes, too.” I said standing up and opening my mail box, “I’ve never seen you before, did you just move in?” I asked.

“Yeah, about a month ago. We’re still getting settled in.” He said, “I’m on floor three.”

“I’m on five. How are you liking it here so far?”

“It’s nice. I like the extra security they’ve got and it’s close to a lot of convenient places. I’m Randy, by the way. And this is Lady.”

We shook hands and I introduced myself. Just as I was about to say goodbye and head toward the stairwell he stopped me.

“Faith, I know this is cheesy and might possibly make this incredibly awkward, but would you like to get some coffee some time? Uh…with me?”

I was caught off guard. I hadn’t expected him to ask me out and so I think I took too long of a pause because he looked crestfallen.

“I’m sorry, that was weird. I mean-”

“No. It’s fine.” I smiled, “I’d love to. You just surprised me, that’s all.”

I put my cell phone number into his phone and told him to call me and then walked upstairs to my apartment. I’ve been smiling all day. It’s nice to feel desirable and now I have another date this week. My date with Hank is later tonight. We’re going to a tapas bar. It should be fun!

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally having Deja Vu.
    Did Faith used to talk to another guy who lived in her building? or am I thinking about that other blog some of us read from time to time?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete