Sunday, September 4, 2011

Digital Age

I poured myself a glass of wine and logged into the dating site I had signed up for. I, surprisingly, had a few messages from interested parties. I decided to go into this whole experience with an open mind (the wine helped) and not count off guys I would normally not consider.

Candidate number 1 is a guy named Chris. He’s 3 years younger than I am which would normally be a reason I wouldn’t date him. He’s still in college and has a surfer vibe going on. He’s blonde with spikey hair and a goatee and his profile picture was of him in swim trunks with his surfboard (where he goes surfing around here, I have no idea because we are not near an ocean). He sent me a cheesey message that made me laugh and we messaged back and forth for awhile before setting a time to meet for next week.

Candidate number 2 is a guy named Hank. He’s significantly older than me (in his 40s) and is a divorcee with two grown children (who are older than me) which are all reasons I would not have considered him, normally. He sent me a message that asked engaging questions and didn’t come off as creepy so I sent him a message back. He’s kind of overweight and he’s smoking a cigar in his profile picture (and also wearing clothes that retired people in Florida wore in the 90s) which is a big turn off, but maybe it’s a rare thing. We’ll see if he replies.

Candidate number 3 is a guy named Todd. He seems like a real party animal. In his profile picture he’s doing a keg stand at a college party but he’s not in college anymore and the caption indicated that it was a recent picture. He seems like he maybe crashes college parties on the weekend, which is kind of skeevy, but maybe I’m just getting the wrong impression of him and he’s just trying to make it seem like he’s more lively than he actually is. He’s got short brown hair and an average looking physique. He’s a year older than I am and works at a law firm as a paralegal; his profile also says that he loves dogs and hates cats, but I decided to give him a shot because his message seemed sincere. We messaged back and forth (he got really flirty) and scheduled a time to meet for next week as well.

All the other messages I ignored because a lot of them seemed creepy or vulgar (why do guys think it’s okay to ask me to send them pictures of my boobs online? NOT COOL.). I updated my profile a bit and changed my pictures to some that were more flattering and added more about myself overall. I hope these dates really open things up for me. I’m sick of dating the wrong kinds of guys so maybe being more open-minded with my dating options will get me to do the right kind of guys.

10 comments:

  1. I miss Sean :(. I really do wonder how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she doesn't settle for less or make excuses for any red flags in her attempts to be more open-minded. It appears like she is moving from one extreme to another. She needs to some time alone to focus on herself, and catch up with her friends.

    I do think she is being a little less mature than we are used to seeing her. I don't think her being open-minded will lead her to meeting "the right kind of guys". "The wrong guy" wasn't what shortchanged her relationships before. It was her inability to look after her own needs, or recognize when her needs were not being met. Meeting new people will be fun but it won't change the fact that in the past year Faith has gone through a lot. She needs time to process, and get to know who she is know after all the learning experiences. It feels like she is doing what she did after Kevin. Dean,Kevin, Sean, who next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with being open minded. usually the pics they post online are who they are in person. (mine are all from my fave bars bathroom, but then i realized i am at the bar all the time, even tho i was looking for a guy who didnt party. p.s. glad my dating site days are over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This could turn in to a couple of fun posts with her reporting about her disaster dates. I can't imagine she's going to actually click with someone so soon after Sean. mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Sean too. I understand why Faith is done with him, but I did like his character and I'm kind of worried about him. In fact I think with all his troubles and drama, he could have his own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DONT miss Sean. The bottom line with Sean is that he isn't good enough for Faith. He has a whole bunch of problems and he's about to possibly be a daddy, so im SO fine with Faith moving on. Faith doesn't need to be with a guy who freaks out when he hears his girlfriends assistant pop into her office, or when shes going to a movies as the 3rd wheel. Get over it folks, Faith is...

    But i am verry weary about these guys she's messaging with. This 'Hank' character sounds like a total creeper, to me. I could totally picture this guy in a hawaiian print shirt. Chubby divorcee... run awayy!
    IDK, none of the guys shes talking to sound like anything worth keeping, let alone looking. But maybe Faith needs a distraction or a rebound.. but i think she could have better luck meeting someone at the coffee shop or maybe she can sign up for another class...


    Im just looking fwd to Fridays post :)
    enjoying the story... not missing Sean at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont miss Sean either...although Im sure he will pop back in at some point. I actually think the on line dating could be a riot (in a funny sort of way) It could totally be humour and funny stories - I just hope she does it super safe! None of these guys sound like anything to write home about, but if she might meet some new friends and end up focusing on herself along the way. :)

    (I actually have hilarious stories from on line dating...ZOMG some of those guys are weird LOL - Like Renee says, Im glad my dating days are over!)

    Looking forward to the next post~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did like Seam. He was a step up from Kevin maybe a couple. Eventually things will get better for Faith. I have to commend him for how he dealt with what he did to Faith. He didn't play the blame game. He took full responsibility for his actions, not a lot of people or men can say that. But I hope we see him again and find out the truth a 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  9. doesnt sean have to move his stuff out of her apartment? i thought that he moved out of his apartment while on tour and put a bunch in storage and then the rest at her place? Did i totally make that up? Bc he certainly didn't have an apt of his own anymore, right?

    and i think faith going on these dates are a total mistake, there is no way she's ready to date again. but im guessing she'll figure that out and it'll be interesting to hear how these dates go...

    ReplyDelete