Friday, May 20, 2011

Deja Vu

When I got into work this morning I had an e-mail from Karen with prospective dates for a visit and an offer to have someone pick me up at the airport. I immediately booked a hotel in the area Sean’s band would be playing in for mid-to-late June and sent her back a thank you message with the details of my itinerary. Sean called me right when I hit send.

“Hey.” I said.

“What’s going on?” He asked.

“Eh, nothing, it’s kind of been a slow day at work. I’ve been planning for that really important meeting I told you about. It’s coming up pretty soon.”

“Oh yeah? What-”

Just then Steve came in.

“You wanted these.” He said while handing me some files I’d requested on possible summer intern candidates.

“I did, thank you very much. Could you also pull another copy of Stormy’s contract for me? I want o familiarize myself with the terms.” I said covering my cell phone’s mouthpiece.

“Sure thing.” He said as he closed my door.

“Who was that?” Sean asked angrily.

“Uh. Steve.”

“You’re not at work, are you?”

“What? Yes I am. Where else would I be right now? Are you…are you seriously accusing me of being out with another guy, AGAIN!?” I asked exasperated.

“Who is Steve, Faith?” Sean asked coldly.

“He is my very gay assistant, who is in a committed relationship with a man named Tom. Would you like me to have them both come in here and tell you themselves or can you trust me enough to take my word for it?” I said acidly.

Sean sighed.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.” He said.

“I don’t deserve this, Sean. I’m your fiancĂ©e and these kinds of interrogations aren’t warranted at all. If you accuse me of this one more time without any foundation I will end our engagement without hesitation. How can you expect me to marry you when you don’t even trust me to be around my gay assistant while you aren’t around?”

“You’re right. I’m being so, so stupid. I don’t know what my problem is. I know this sounds really dumb but when you freaked out over the Guy situation I think it made me wonder if you were cheating on me.”

“What? Why?”

“Because you were so upset by it! I didn’t know how to interpret it and then you just dropped it and I panicked.”

“I was upset because I’ve been in Guy’s girlfriend’s position before, Sean! I know how it feels! I told you all of this.”

“I know…look I was stupid. Can we just forget about it?”

I sighed.

“Fine. I guess.” I said trying to move on.

Sean told me about the last few shows the band played and about the new computer he bought (I’m picking it up next week and I’ll bring it with me when I visit him in June) before we said good bye. I really hope going to visit him makes him relax for a little bit because this whole insecurity/anger thing is really getting on my nerves and I think I've been very understanding considering what I've been accused of lately.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving the frequent posts. And the story is moving along nicely. Thanks! mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi! Sean....take it easy there! Cant wait to see how this keeps on progressing...and I second mum - LOVE having all of the posts! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean is an asshole!

    ReplyDelete