Monday, May 9, 2011

All Aboard!

Sean’s mini-vacation from the tour was uneventful and he really enjoyed being able to just relax and not have to worry about playing a show or rehearsing or being walked in on while trying to have some intimate time with his girlfriend (except by his girlfriend’s cat, who recently learned how to open doors). He left this morning and it was really hard for both of us. He was home almost too long because it felt like he’d never left and we got back into our old routine. Before he left though, we had a small fight. I went to drop Sean off at where the tour bus would be picking everyone up so I could say good bye. I said hello to everyone while we waited.

“Faith, the girls are looking good today.” Jake said as a greeting. I giggled and gave him a hug. We made small talk until the buses (yes plural!) pulled up.

“Oh, cool! They got us another bus!” Sean said. He and the guys high-fived (and I’m pretty sure Karen looked up to the sky and mouthed the words “Thank you”).

“Looks like everything but that last issue you were having has been fixed.” I said smiling at Sean.

There are actually four buses. Two for the band and a few crew members and two for the rest of the crew (plus the bus drivers that drive them). There’s also three giant equipment trucks and a smaller one just for the instruments. I guess I never realized just how big of a deal the tour was until I saw everything. Sean took me into the old bus and it was huge. I’ve never been inside a tour bus before. He showed me where he sleeps. It’s literally like a cubby hole with a mattress in it and there are three stacked on top of each other like bunk beds. You can close a thing of curtains for privacy and there’s a personal light in each one. The back has a television in it and a bunch of couches and there’s a small kitchen and a bathroom. We got out of the old bus and Sean and Lou ran to check out the new bus. I started laughing because they both looked like little kids who just got an awesome new toy. Meanwhile, Karen was giving orders to the crew so they could leave. I looked over and saw Guy a few yards away hugging and flirting with a pretty blonde girl. Sean came out to try and coax me into the new bus until he saw what I was looking at. He came and stood next to me.

“Is that her?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He put his hands in his pockets and looked at his shoes.

“Did he ever tell her?”

“No.”

“She’s really pretty.” I said turning away.

“Let’s go everyone! Yes the buses are nice, let’s get ON them, we’re behind schedule already and traffic is only going to get worse!” Karen shouted in the background.

“That means you.” I said putting my hand on Sean’s chest. He pulled me into a hug.

“I don’t want you to go.” I whispered.

“I don’t want to go, either.” He sighed.

“You’ll be able to come home for our anniversary, though, right?”

Sean was quiet.

“Right!?” I said pulling out of the hug and looking at him with concern.

“Faith, listen, I-”

“LET’S GO! Guy! If you’re not on the bus in 30 seconds I will physically put you on it. Let’s go Sean.” Karen walked by us and started yelling at some crew members who were doing something with one of the trucks. Sean started again.

“I tried to get Karen to make it happen but she couldn’t do it. The emergency schedule change she made so she could deal with her break-up threw a bigger wrench into our schedule than expected. I’m not going to be able to get back for it.”

“WHAT!?” I yelled and then immediately lowered my voice when I noticed we were getting looks from some crew members. Sean pulled me aside between two of the trucks so we could have some privacy.

“I tried, Faith. According to our current schedule, I’d only be able to come back for like four hours. It’s just not manageable. I’m really sorry.”

“So, let me get this straight: Karen has a relationship crisis and because she’s the tour manager she gets to change the schedule for HER relationship but when it’s anyone else’s it’s a big fat NO? You asked for our anniversary off before you even left for the tour Sean!”

“I know but-”

“But what!?” I was getting upset and the bus was ready to leave. I didn’t want to say good bye like that so I took a deep breath and just chose to accept what Sean was telling me without anymore resistance, “You know, what? Just forget it, Sean. We’ll celebrate when you’re in town again. Just forget it. When is your next break?”

“Not until July.” Sean sounded defeated and we walked to the bus so he could get on it.

“Oh.” I said. I hadn’t realized we’d be apart for two months after he left and I felt even more upset and sad than before.

“SEAN, we have GOT to go. I swear to God GUY!” Karen stomped by us and over to Guy, “This bus is going to leave without you if you’re not on it in the next 15 seconds!” She got on the bus and he followed.

“Maybe I can fly home for a day in June or something.”

“Okay.” I said pulling my light sweater closer around me, “You should go. They’re waiting.” I nodded towards the bus.

“Faith-”

“It’s fine, Sean, we’ll get through it. Anniversaries are overrated anyway.” I said forcing a smile.

“Okay. Give Murphy a hug for me. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” I said. He squeezed my hand before getting on the bus.

I waved and then turned to start my way back home. I started crying a little, too when I heard the bus start up.

“You didn’t think I was going to leave without giving you a kiss, did you?” Sean asked from the doorway.

I turned around and smiled at him leaning against the door.

“I guess not.” I said trying to wipe my tears surreptitiously.

He came down from the bus and enveloped me in a big hug. It was warm and comforting. I tipped my face up to his and we kissed, gently, at first, and then there were fireworks.

“SEAN! Karen says we need to g-….Nevermind we’ll wait.” Jake stuck his head out of the bus and then promptly back inside of it.

Sean and I broke apart and laughed. It makes me happy that he’ll have his friends with him, even if I can’t be there and even if I think some of them are slimy jerks (ie: Guy). We said good bye for the last time and I watched as the bus convoy drove away. Maybe I can go see Sean while he’s on tour so we won’t be apart for a full two months. It’s unfair for him to always have to come to me, anyway. I’ll ask Karen if that’s a possibility in an e-mail later or something because I’ll need to arrange a hotel (there is no way I am sleeping with Sean in what is essentially a mattress cubby hole, although cubby hole sex might be interesting.).

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! Really hit home for me. My boyfriend has been sent away for work over every important date for us this year - my birthday, valentines day, our 4year anniversary, and his birthday. Even though this blog is fictional it helped reading about someone else going through this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could be fun...go visit him on your anniversary. And there will surely be more Guy drama. Surprised he's being so public about it. Oh, well. Love the post! mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get where they are coming from on this blog - jobs with sooo much travel are really really hard! Im glad it ended on a high note...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the story is good.
    kindly check out my blog at the following link..
    http://wwwkates-world.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete