Wednesday, May 18, 2011

E-Mails and Paperwork and Contracts, Oh My!

I’ve been thinking about this whole Sean situation and what would be best for him and decided that going to visit him would be a big step in the right direction to make him feel a little more comfortable so I e-mailed Karen:

Karen,

I was wondering if it would be possible to come see Sean on the road. Since you have access to his schedule, do you think you could help me figure out when the best time would be to come visit him? I’d like to make a hotel reservation in the area whenever you decide would be a good time. Also, I think I want this to be a surprise, so don’t tell Sean about it.

-Faith

Right after I hit send Stormy and Rose walked into my office.

“We need to sign some forms disclosing our relationship…again.” Rose said as they sat down in the chairs across from my desk.

“Oh. Okay.” I said walking over to my file cabinet.

Once I got all the forms filled out Rose and Stormy got up to leave but I asked Stormy to say so we could discuss something. Once the door was closed and we were alone I started in.

“You cannot tell Rose about the meeting with Veronica.”

“What? Why?” Stormy asked.

“Because Veronica thinks I’m the only one who is going to be there and if Rose mentions that you’ll be there, too, all of the time and energy we put into tracking Veronica down could go out the window. I don’t want that to happen, do you?”

“Well, no-”

“Good. Are you ready for this meeting? It’s coming up. Have you thought about what you’d like to negotiate your contract for with the station? I’s doubtful they’ll let you out entirely.”

“Honestly, not really. I’ve been so excited that I’m going to have my life back that I’ve been doing other things…”

“Like getting back together with all the women in the office again?” I asked with a smirk.

“No, just Rose. This whole experience has really opened my eyes and made me grow up quite a bit. I’m tired of working nearly 100 hour work weeks, but this experience has at least helped me realize what I really want to do with my career and made me realize how awful I was before. Rose put up with more than she deserved and I realized, later than I should have, how special she is. So, for now, it’s just her.”

“Okay, good, the last thing we need is you pissing her off and then having her spoil all the plans I made with Veronica out of spite.”

“Fair enough.”

“So the only thing I need you to do before the meeting is to think about how you’d like to renegotiate your contract. I made a copy for you so you can bring it to a lawyer or an agent have it looked over if you want to.” I said as I handed it to him, “But please make sure that you have a clear cut list of what you want and what you’re willing to compromise on. You should probably make a list of things you are willing to compromise on for your writing job, as well. I’m sure there will need to be a lot of compromises on both sides.”

“Okay, I will.” He said as he left.

I leaned back in my chair and looked out of the window when he closed the door. I’m going to have a weight lifted off of me once this is debacle is over. The only problem now is to figure out a strategy for this meeting and preparing for the inevitable backlash that I’m going to get from Veronica for doing such a shady thing. I am prepared to defend myself in that regard but I have no plan whatsoever for handling the actual meeting. I need to get on that.

2 comments:

  1. Good girl, Faith. Get prepared for the meeting and aftermath. I'm kind of thinking Karen is going to discourage Faith visiting Sean while he's on tour. I'm not sure why, just a feeling. mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope Karen doesnt give Faith the run-around. ESPECAILLY after Karen just got dumped for being on the road all the time, I'm sure she can relate to how the distance can really strain a relationship.
    If it were ME and i was getting run-around from the tour manager, I sure wouldnt shy around the fact that its OK for her to re-arrange every body elses schedule so SHE can handle her own break-up situation, and then not even return the favor when Faith would be going to them. u know?
    i hope theres no drama like that!! "/

    ReplyDelete