Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dry Spells

Things at work have been going somewhat smoothly. Steve and I are both currently reading through past policy guidelines and laying out the structure of what the newspaper’s will be. He also replaced all non-vegan items in the break room with vegan alternatives. Veronica was not enthused but didn’t want me to use the money to replace everything so I decided that I’m going to be in charge of stock for the break room instead of Steve and I’ll replace the vegan things with non-vegan things as they run out….which will probably be forever. No one really likes the vegan bagels or the packets of texturized vegetable protein to sprinkle on top of them instead of cream cheese. Except for Steve, he can’t stop raving about them.

Zoey and I were hanging out at her place for awhile when she asked me about Sean.

“You seem a little more relaxed since the movie. Did you talk to Sean?”

“I didn’t tell him about the Kevin thing but we did talk and we’ve decided to just let things go in whatever direction they end up veering into.”

“That’s good. That’s what you wanted, right?”

“Well, I mean, I’d like to be having sex but this is a nice compromise. How about you? Still having that dry spell?”

“Yes, but that might be changing soon.”

“Do tell.” I said grabbing a pillow and putting it on my lap. I leaned forward as Zoey started turning redder than her hair.

“Well, I met this guy at work. He’s a photographer’s lighting assistant that does freelance work for our magazine. He’s super cute. He’s blonde, fit, tall…”

“What’s his name?”

“Wesley. He’s been hitting on me for awhile and I finally accepted an invitation for dinner this weekend.”

“Why didn’t you accept right away Zoey?”

“Because, Faith. Guys that look like him don’t date women who look like me. I’m not tan, I’m overweight,” Zoey put a hand up to silence my objections, “Faith, I have a better body image of myself than every single model I’ve ever worked with, including Elise. I have a better body image than you or Anna do and I have since I was a teenager. I love the way I look but I’m not going to ignore the snorts of laughter or judgmental stares that come when I order a cheeseburger. I eat more healthfully than you, Anna, and Elise and I’m still fat, I work out constantly and I’m still fat. It’s just the way I am and I’m fine with that, but men like Wesley don’t. Men who look like Wesley will be in a relationship with me for about a month before suggesting I eat a carrot or just stop eating altogether. Frankly…I don’t want to deal with that.”

“Then why bother to say yes?”

“I don’t know, there’s something different about him. When we’re on shoots he doesn’t look at the models, he looks at me, he shoots me smiles, and he asks me my opinion. At first I thought he’d get bored with me once he realized he was surrounded by thin, beautiful women walking around in bikinis, but he hasn’t, so I relented.”

“Maybe he won’t be like other shallow guys, Zoey. Going into the relationship expecting it to go badly won’t help the chances of it working out.”

“You’re right.” She said getting up for another bowl of cheese popcorn, “Do you want some more?”

“Yes please,” I followed her into the kitchen, “For what it’s worth, I think you’re one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met, inside and out.” I gave Zoey a hug from behind while she filled our bowls with popcorn.

“You’re just saying that because I’m feeding you.” Zoey tried to hide the fact that she was blushing when we went back into her living room to watch the new programs for Shark Week this year.

(P.S Today is the author's 22nd birthday!)

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!

    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - Happy Birthday! Get yourself a big bowl of cheese popcorn - because that sounds delicious right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, and I love Shark Week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! I hate Shark Week...but then again I have an insane phobia of sharks.

    Zoey is sweet, hope she takes a chance on Wesley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I'm buying myself a dozen cupcakes and hunkering down for some major Shark Week fun tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! sounds like a fantastic evening... I donno what it is about cupcakes but they are so superior to cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, you quirky, creative, funny Lion-girl, (Leo). I've been wondering what sign you are - though I always hesitate to ask outright, since it's off-putting to some. I really had you pegged more for a detail-oriented, polite and precise Virgo, though. I guess it's pretty tough to tell purely through the written word. One question: is there anything unusual or noteworthy that others would pick up on about your hair? In lots of instances, Leos have something unique about their hair. Also, would others describe you as warm and loyal, if a bit fiery when angered? I always wonder about a million things whenever I discover someone's birthday. You can bet I'm going to go find out right now what your moon sign is...since all I need for that is the date and year. Too bad I don't know your exact time of birth for the rising...(I don't know if you like to answer personal questions on your blog or not. I won't take it personally at all if you don't). I just couldn't help myself, though.

    Sooooo...HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sunshine Girl! Enjoy your cupcakes, and today's post was very enjoyable, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was supposed to be born November 4th (I don't know the exact time I was born, though), I don't know if that's a virgo or not, but that might explain things. I am fairly detail-oriented and don't tend to get angry easily but my friends do say I'm loyal (to a fault, I have a hard time letting a friendship die without immense guilt even if it's mostly because of the other person's behavior). I've never been told my hair is unique. It has natural mahogany highlights, though. I have fine, flat hair that doesn't hold a style even with massive amounts of hairsprayin/styling products.
    I'm allergic to metal, I don't know if that matters.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes ladies! The cupcakes I bought are to die for and I don't have to share, which is the best part!
    My cat turned 18 today, he's officially old enough to vote now (we really do have the same birthday, my mom wanted to adopt a cat but waited a few weeks after my birthday to get one and it just so happens my cat was born on Aug. 4th as well, he was found hours after being born in a bag laying in a creekbed with the mother cat and rest of the litter, he was very sick and the runt of the litter and is the only one that survived being so ill from the inhumane treatment).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy late birthday! Hope you had a great one.

    ReplyDelete