Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Windfalls

“Faith we need to add a journalist to cover politics. With the overturning of Prop 8, the death of Ted Stevens, the upcoming elections, and the gold mine of irrationality that is the Tea Party…it’s just not feasible for Riley and Mariah to be able to write that much. In fact I think we need to add more than one person.”

Veronica and I have made it a habit to touch base at least once every morning. She updates me on anything she needs my assistance on (like Steve replacing all of the break room food) and I update her on my progress with the company policies, and problems that I might have to take care of (like one of the toilets kept running so I had to call maintenance). The topic of conversation had shifted to future hires.

“Well, I know that Jenny had expressed interest in writing political-based stories. If I remember correctly, I think one of her writing samples was about the health care reform. And she has background experience doing political research. We could have her write for politics and gossip.”

“No, let’s shift her to the politics team as a full-time writer and hire a new gossip columnist. I still want you to look for one more possible hire for politics. The Tea Party activism alone will be impossible to cover with Jenny, Riley, and Mariah.”

“Okay, do you want me to use the resumes we kept on file? Or should I sniff around some other resources as well.”

“Whatever you decide.”

Then Veronica’s phone rang and I took my cue to leave. My amazement at the windfall that had just landed in my lap carried me all the way to my office. I closed the door and then ran to my computer. I sent Dina and Suzy an e-mail:

Hello ladies,

My paper has two openings in it and I think you should submit your resumes, cover letters, and writing samples.

First, the perfect job for Suzy: a gossip columnist. I expect your resume within 24 hours ; ).

Dina, there’s a job opening up as a politics writer. You’d be working with four other people, three writers and a cartoonist. I know you’re a fact-checker and line up sources but I know you used to write. It’s worth a shot to apply.

I’ll put in good words for both of you.
-Faith


I then called Jenny in and explained that we would like to transfer her over to politics. She was pretty overjoyed about it because politics was her main focus. All in all it was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Nice of Faith to give her friends a heads up. But I get a feeling that their defection will bring a Kevin encounter. Like him confronting Faith or issuing threats, something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugg- no Kevin encounters...unless they read about him being arrested in the paper!! lol

    Love the posts, just spent a bit of time catching up!

    ReplyDelete