Monday, August 16, 2010

Dexterity

Sean and I were listening to music and making dinner together the other night and we were having a blast. He hadn’t brought up Kevin since our last date and I had a feeling he wasn’t as okay as he was acting, but I decided to leave it alone.

“You know for someone who’s a great musician you listen to a lot of bad 80’s music.”

“Hey, don’t insult my hair metal bands. I am a lover of all music.”

“The Final Countdown? Really?” I said giving Sean a joking judgmental look.

“It’s a classic 80’s staple. You know you love it.” Sean winked at me.

Within about 20 seconds Sean was playing air guitar with a dish towel and I was singing into a wooden spoon. There’s just something about the opening of that song that no human on earth can possibly ever resist. Sean insisted I make my cheese-stuffed mushrooms again and he made a five-layer lasagna to go with them. When we settled in for dinner Sean brought up his visit to the psychiatrist.

“So…I saw Dr. Deerhorn today.”

“Yeah? How was it?”

“Well, it was weird…but I think I’m going to see him a few more times before I really make any judgments about it, you know?”

“Sure. Is he like the psychiatrist stereotype?” I joked, “Does he make you lay down on a couch?”

“No…it’s actually nothing like I expected.”

“That’s really nice Sean. I’m glad you’re going to try more sessions, I just want you to be happy.” I smiled at Sean warmly and he blushed. I decided to change the subject so Sean didn’t feel too exposed, “So…I think Zoey has a boyfriend. I think she’s falling love with him.”

“Really? I thought Zoey didn’t date.”

“He was persistent.”

“See? Persistence pays off…it did with me and you…now Zoey…I bet it’s relevant to Anna and Theo, too.”

I giggled at Sean remembering how persistent he was with me (and such an emotional rock when I needed him) and our conversation flowed. He even suggested we go on a double-date with Anna and Theo, so I’m going to look into it.

We finished dinner and snuggled under a blanket. It was thundering and lightning outside and we decided to watch the storm instead of a movie. The sound of the rain pelting Sean’s windows (which are huge, by the way…I have a thing about windows) was so relaxing and we had a gorgeous light show from the storm clouds hanging above the skyline.

“Faith.”

“Mmm?”

“Aren’t you going to ask me what Dr. Deerhorn and I talk about?”

I looked at Sean.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because what you talk about with Dr. Deerhorn is personal and private. I would never ask you about it, Sean. Me prying into something so private would be taking away your privacy. I want you to feel comfortable in therapy and not filter anything because it’s the only way for you to come to terms with your issues.” I put my hand gently on his jaw, “I would never put you in such a position.”

Sean seemed content, almost relieved, by my answer and held my hand, he started kissing my wrist and making his way up until we started making out under the fluffy blanket to the sound of the rain and thunder. We didn’t end up having sex but let me just tell you, ladies, having a guitarist as a boyfriend has its perks, especially in terms of finger dexterity. Faith was quite the happy little girlfriend last night and I made sure Sean knew it...and probably his neighbors too. ; )

5 comments:

  1. Lovin' the story...so much realism. Keep it up, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh that was so nice. Love how they were content to watch the storm rather than TV. And I commend Faith for not asking or expecting Sean to tell her about his session, even though I'm dieing to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. I hope dinner with Anna and Theo goes well, and there are no accidents like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope there are no accidents either, considering that Theo knows, but I feel like Theo wouldn't say anything, because he was uncomfortable with the whole thing too.

    I like Sean and Faith's relationship. I like how its not one built up around sex (unfortunately?) because they are able to have conversations and be so comfortable with each other that they would rather listen to a storm and enjoy each other's company, than watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Sean and Faith. And Faith not asking Sean about what the doctor said shows a lot of restraint because I would be too curious to resist.

    And yeah dinner with Anna and Theo may end badly if Theo accidentially spills the beans. Sean trusts Faith and that would be a break in that trust.

    ReplyDelete