Monday, August 23, 2010

Brotherly Love

Sean picked me up from work and we headed to go meet my brother and Shannon for dinner. They were already seated when we arrived and waved us over. We made small talk over what to order and I started asking questions about their day in the city.

“Which museums did you decide on today?”

“We went to the aquarium then to the history museum right next to it. I liked the aquarium more, though.” Shannon said.

“I’ve never been to the aquarium,” I said, “I hear it’s one of the top places to visit here and I’ve always wanted to go, but it’s hard to find time.”

“Well, you know what they say, ‘people who live in tourist areas generally don’t go to see the sites.’ I think that’s really true for New York, I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who have lived there their whole lives and haven’t been to the Statue of Liberty.”

Conversation flowed like this throughout dinner and my brother was being much nicer to Sean. I was relieved because I thought his immaturity had passed; as we were wrapping up dinner and finishing off dessert, my brother started in again.

“So Sean…what do you do?” My brother asked with a smirk.

“I’m a musician. I play the guitar in a band.”

My brother scoffed, “I guess not all of us can be selfless and go to war.”

I kicked him under the table.

“The military was never for me, I guess.” Sean tried to give the best answer he could.

“Sean’s band is actually really successful. They have gigs all the time and travel to other places, too.”

At that point I signaled the waiter for our check because this dinner experience had started to go south.

“Sean what kind of music do you guys play?” Shannon asked, trying to change the subject. I had a feeling she was just as embarrassed as I was of my brother’s behavior.

“We play rock music and cover older bands or major hits. I help write the music we don’t cover.”

My brother got in some more rude jabs at Sean before the check came but as we left I told Sean and Shannon to walk to their car so I could talk to my brother alone.

“What the HELL is your problem?”

“Nothing. What? I can’t hate your boyfriends? You hate my girlfriend for no reason.”

“So you just acted like a major ass all night to prove a point? And I don’t hate Shannon, I just don’t think you need to be dating someone as old as she is, someone who’s been divorced, this close to your deployment. I think it’s dangerous.”

“You’re delusional.”

“No I’m not! The last thing I need to think about is if you get a ‘Dear John’ letter from her right before you’re supposed to go out on a mission! You don’t need to be distracted when you’re surrounded by violence and danger. She could get you killed and I will hold her entirely responsible if you don’t come home because of something she did!”

My brother was quiet for a minute and then, “Faith that won’t happen-“

“Fine. Then I’ll make an effort to like her…when you get back.”

“That’s almost a year!”

“Do you have a point? If you have the same girlfriend in a year, it will be the longest relationship you’ve ever had and I think only then should you expect me to make an effort to like your girlfriend. I’ve been dating Sean longer than you and Shannon have been dating and I never asked you to meet him or make an effort to get to like him.”

“I don’t have to like the guy that’s dating my sister, especially when he’s some loser musician.”

“Sean isn’t a loser. He has a job he likes, he’s a happy guy. You don’t even know him!”

“Oh, please Faith, could you have picked a more cliché boyfriend? He’ll only hurt you.”

“You seem pretty sure of that. Just like I’m sure Shannon will hurt you. But there’s a difference between my relationship with Sean and yours with Shannon.”

“Is that so? And what, exactly, would be the difference?”

“I’m in love with him!”

We were both silent. He pulled me in for a hug and we started walking in the direction of the car. It was clear our conversation was over and it was now shifting into the good-bye part. When we got to the car Shannon and Sean were talking and laughing, I smiled automatically at the sight of Sean.

“So we’re going to drive down to your parents’ house tomorrow and stay there until Justin has to leave. I’ll make sure he calls you before that.” Shannon winked at me and then she got in the car.

“I’ll see you later.” My brother said wrapping me in another hug.

“Bye.” I said, the word caught in my throat. I couldn’t bring myself to say anything else.

“I love you.” He said when we pulled apart.

I nodded and whispered, “I love you too.”

And with that he got into the driver’s seat and pulled out of the garage. Sean waved as they drove bye while I did my best to try and wave back. As soon as they were out of sight I started crying and Sean pulled me into his chest and started patting my hair. We stood like that for a long time.

5 comments:

  1. Scenes like that are heart-wrenching...both in "real-life", and in blog-world. I hope Justin stays safe and sound, and comes home in good shape - both physically, as well as emotionally. On a bright note, his girlfriend seems pretty nice. I think Faith is just experiencing overall anxiety about her brother's impending departure to a war zone. Understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read ur blog from day1- great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a heartbreaking scene. Hope Justin stays safe and comes home alright. Shannon seems nice but they did just start dating and he will be gone for a year. Not very good odds.

    And Faiths declaration of love for Sean was a shocker. Hoped she was heading in that direction but who knew it would come out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just finished reading your blog... I love it! Thanks for sharing! Keep the story coming! :)

    ReplyDelete