Sunday, August 15, 2010

K-Fed Up

I told Sean before I left yesterday that I was going to plan out a date for us tonight. I did some research and came up with the perfect idea. The Perseids meteor shower happened to be tonight, so I decided to make Sean a dinner of hors d’oeuvres, pack everything in a picnic basket, and lay in a park near my apartment so we could watch it together.

Sean arrived right after I finished packing the cheese stuffed mushrooms, mini ham and cheese quiches, and garlic rubbed bruschetta (I might be obsessed with that cafĂ© Zoey and I went to more than I realized, okay, don’t judge me) in a small picnic basket. I added two chocolate cream cheese brownies I bought from a bakery earlier in the day and a bottle of wine on top of my two plates and forks and closed the top right as he walked in. Murphy greeted him warmly and started purring.

“Something smells great…” Sean came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“It’s a surprise, can you go grab the blanket that’s folded on the couch?”
Sean left to go grab it while I double-checked everything and grabbed two wine glasses which I had forgotten to add to my basket.

“So what are we doing?”

“It’s a surprise.” I said leaning against my kitchen counter with my arms across my chest.

“I have ways to make you talk.” Sean said sidling up to me and putting his hands on my waist.

“Nope, you’ll get nothing from me. Do your worst, villain!” I threw my head back and did my best melodramatic voice.

“Alright, you asked for it.” Sean started kissing me and started moving towards my neck.

“Okay, you win; I’m taking you to the park.”

With that we set off into the night and picked a grassy spot unobstructed by trees, Sean still didn’t know about the meteor shower and I was waiting to reveal that particular secret. We dug into the picnic basket as soon as we sat down and Sean couldn’t help but rave about my cooking skills. He liked the stuffed mushrooms the most. We laid out on the blanket (Sean had the smart idea to bring a pillow from my couch, too), Sean had his arm around me and I leaned on his chest.

“The park wasn’t the only draw,’ I said, “There’s a meteor shower tonight, too. I thought you’d like it.”

Sean kissed my head and we laid around in a comfortable silence waiting for the show to start. It did and we talked about how beautiful it was. Sean even took a picture of it with his phone.

“So…I looked into seeing a doctor. I’m going to see them next week.”

I looked up at Sean, “Really?”

“Yeah, I thought about it and you’re right. I should be more concerned about this than I am.”

I gave Sean a kiss and looked deep into his eyes.

“Faith…it’s not a big deal…” I could tell I was making him uncomfortable so I laid my head back down.

After a few minutes of silence, Sean spoke up again.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“It’s about your ex-boyfriend.”

“Oh,” I said my heart sinking. I’d told Sean the basic gist of Kevin’s and my relationship the night we decided to start dating, but Sean didn’t know the deeper, emotional problems with Kevin and he only had a small idea of what working with Kevin was like. He didn’t know about how Kevin got “fired”, he just knew I left my job because of him.

“You said that he did a lot of damage, to you, with the things he said. What exactly happened?”

I sighed, my romantic night under the stars had suddenly taken a bad turn.

“He said a lot of things. It wasn’t until later that I realized how hurtful it had all been. I guess the worst part was when he said I still wanted to date him and I knew it even though he was kind of trying to sexually assault me at the time. I told him it wasn’t true.”

I felt Sean’s arm tighten around me, his voice was low, “What?”

“Look Sean, it’s not a big deal. I’ve moved on.”

We both sat up from our blanket, completely ignoring the meteors sparkling above us.

“Did you just say…”

“Sean it sounds worse than it was, okay. I went to give him my two week’s notice and he put his hand up my skirt, tried to take my shirt off, and kissed me while I was pinned against his desk. It’s not a big deal, two of the journalists I worked for were able to come in and restrain him before he could do anything else. He was drunk.”

“He stuck his hand up your skirt!? And you’re excusing him because he was drunk?”

“It really does sound worse than it was. Really, I’m fine.”

“Faith! How can you be so nonchalant about something like this? Your ex-boyfriend wasn’t trying to sexually assault you, he did.”

“But I’m fine.”

“So that makes it okay for men to put their hands on you?”

“No, of course not.”

Sean was quiet for a minute.

“Tell me what you’re thinking…” I pleaded.

“Are you defending him because you still have feelings for him?”

“What!? No!”

“Then why wouldn’t you press charges against someone who did that to you, why are you defending him?”

“Sean…I just wanted to leave, okay, pressing charges would have connected me to him even longer. I wanted to get away from him. It was an invasion of my personal space; he groped me, but I’m never going to have to see him again. I’m free. I’m not defending him; I’m letting him off the hook in exchange for never having him in my life again. It seems like a fair trade. I promise…I’m fine.”

Sean wrapped me in his arms and kissed my hair. We watched the rest of the meteor shower in a reserved silence; neither of us knowing what to say. I drifted off to sleep in Sean’s arms after about twenty minutes. He gently woke me up and we decided to go back to my place. We tried to have sex but it didn’t work out, luckily Sean handled it a little bit better than last time. He was still extremely embarrassed but I was able to get him to look at me after a few minutes. Sean fell asleep a few minutes later but I was having trouble sleeping so I thought I’d write up about our date to see if it helped at all. I don’t think it did.

6 comments:

  1. The date was going so well too. But I think Kevin's reaction was a normal one. I know I was questioning why Faith didn't press charges because Kevin was deserves everything negative coming his way.

    Glad Sean is looking into seeing someone about his issue. Hopefully it helps him, and Sean and Faith can move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Sean is persuing therapy for his problem. I understand why Faith didn't press charges against Sean. I look at it as he drunkenly made a bad judgement. No that's not excusing him, I'm just saying I don't think he's a rapist or anything, so it's not likely he'll do that to someone else. So in this case it's up to Faith and I agree with her I wouldn't want to be dragged into court rehashing the whole thing. It would be nothing but a he said she said thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Press charges against Kevin OH Monday mornings lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I understand why Faith never wants to see Kevin's face again, it would be really really nice if karma kicks his ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the daily posts!

    and I do think that Kevin would do it again, he's an asshole with entitlement issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Kevin needs an ass-whoopin' by the legal system. Probably hard to prove what the exact details of the assault were, though, since those 2 guys who saw it didn't remember exactly what happened. Poor Faith.

    Sean seemed intensely angry when Faith described her ordeal to him. Let's hope he doesn't go after Kevin himself, or it'll be SEAN in legal trouble, rather than the asshole who deserves it - Kevin.

    ReplyDelete