Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Instinct Games

I had lunch with Dina, Suzy, and Steve today at work and told them about my situation with Sean.
“I’m glad you told us, Faith,” Dina said touching my hand, “We were kind of worried. You’ve seemed so down but none of us wanted to ask.”
“If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been squashing all of the office gossip about why you were down.” Suzy said stabbing her salad with her fork.
“Um. Thanks.” I said looking down at my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
“Do you know what you’re going to do?” Steve asked.
“No. I’ve been trying to figure it out but I’m really torn about it. I have no idea.”
“Have you guys been talking at all?” Dina asked.
“We’ve been keeping in touch; I’ve been updating him about the fact that I haven’t made a decision yet.” I joked weakly.
“You know I was cheated on once by a guy,” Steve said dipping a pita chip into some vegan humus, “we did get back together afterward but it didn’t last.”
“Oh.”
“Not because of the cheating, Faith, I just got tired of him, honestly. I was able to get past the cheating, actually.”
“Oh.” I said a little more cheerily.
“You know, you should just make a list of pros and cons and use that to decide for you.” Dina said.
“Or flip a coin.” Suzy said.
I changed the subject and finished my lunch listening to the others talk. When the lunch hour was over I checked in with Todd and Tanya on their progress before going back to my office. I struggled to get my work done until I gave in to making a pros and cons list since it had been suggested to me twice now. I kept adding to it in between answering e-mails, phone calls, and filling out paperwork and realized it was getting late. I had some time-sensitive paperwork regarding Tanya and Todd’s payment schedule to finish (it’s not on the same schedule the other staff has because of the uniqueness of their positions and commissions for work) so I ended up staying late. When I finally finished, I stretched in my chair, grabbed my bag, and headed toward the elevator to go home.
I noticed a light on as I came closer to the elevator. Stormy was still at work. I waved at him when I reached the end of the hallway.
“You’re still here?” I asked, “I thought we just made your job easier. You should go home.”
“I took on an extra story.” He said.
“Come on, we can share the elevator.” I said nodding my head toward it.
Stormy thought about it and then shut down his computer. I made small talk while he put his stuff away.
“How’s Rose?” I asked.
“She’s fine. Her roommate is moving out so she’s looking for a new one and is stressed out about it, but it’s not a huge deal. I’m sure she’ll find someone. How’s your fiancé?” He asked.
I silently kicked myself for asking about Rose.
“Um, we’re not engaged anymore. We’re kind of on a break right now.” I mumbled.
Stormy stood up and we started walking towards the elevator. He stopped me before we got there though.
“Faith, I’m really sorry for my behavior after our meeting with Veronica. It was inappropriate and if that’s why he’s-”
“It’s not.” I said before he got farther into it.
“So you guys aren’t together anymore?”
“I’m reassessing our relationship.” I said moving towards the elevator again.
“Oh.” He said.
We both went to push the button on the elevator and our hands touched. Stormy looked at me and our eyes locked. We got closer to each other very slowly, he dropped the briefcase he was holding and held my face in both of his hands, mine were on his chest. Right before our lips touched I realized what I was doing and gently touched his hands and bowed my head.
“Stormy, I can’t. I’m sorry.”
He lowered his hands and we broke apart like opposing magnets.
“No, I’m sorry that was-”
“It’s just that things are really complicated with my boyfriend right now and you’re with Rose. I just don’t need to make things even more difficult.”
“I understand, and like you said, I’m with Rose. I don’t know what I was thinking.”
We kept talking and rambling over each other all the way down on the elevator. It wasn’t until I got out to the lobby and Stormy left in the opposite direction that I realized I’d made my choice about what to do with Sean. I chose Sean in a situation where I wasn’t obligated to. I went with my gut. I sent him a text:
“I’m in.”

10 comments:

  1. I hate that I have to wait ALL weekend for a new post. Am I the only one who obsessively checks for a new post like every 5 minutes?

    I liked how Faith stopped the situation with Stormy from becoming something complicated, how she didn't make herself the "other woman" to make herself feel better. If it doesn't work out with Sean, at least she knows that SHE didn't contribute to the demise of someone else's relationship. I still think she should grab Karen by the hair and drag her around a little...but that's just me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm not as angry towards Karen cos I think Sean is an adult, and had an equal part to play. I guess i see it as one isn't better than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that I don't feel that Sean isn't an adult, but I feel like Faith has a right to confront Karen. There should be more honor among women, and Faith and Sean were engaged a few hours prior to the tryst...and Karen should have at least respected that enough to not let things get that far long enough for Sean to figure out exactly what WAS going on with Faith. He acted like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum and his judgement may have been "clouded" but Karen's was not. She is obviously attracted to Sean and took advantage of a situation, and for that I think that Faith deserves to confront her, she may need to in order to get past it. I don't think that one is better than the other, but Faith got to talk to Sean, get her questions answered-she deserves at least that from Karen, especially if she is going to continue working with Sean on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice point Stephanie...

    Faith may be "in" right now and wanting to fix their relationship after a momentarily slip-up with Stormy, but the road ahead of Faith is NOT going to be an easy one. Now Faith is going to have to "deal" with Sean being on tour and being managed by someone he screwed.

    I wouldnt be surprised if Karen gets a little jealous to see that Sean and Faith can weather the storm and attempt to fix their relationship after such deceit (when HER boyfriend basically told her to kick rocks after she wouldnt quit the tour) and try to make Seans life on tour really misreable.
    What if Karen wont tweak his schedule so he can attend couples therapy?
    What if Karen gets all Fatal Attraction on Sean, hahahah THAT could be entertaining, however i think Faith is in for a rude awakening, yes she loves her man and wants to stick by his side and work thru things, but its not going to be easy KNOWING that after every session they have, he will be hitting the road, right back to Karens control.

    eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's total bullshit that faith is going to stay with Sean. Total and complete bullshit. Just because she decided not to kiss Stormy doesn't mean she picked Sean. All she picked was not to make a stupid mistake with Stoemy that could end HIS relationship. Hers is already over, at the moment. Her choosing to not kiss Stormy Does not mean she should be with Sean.

    I'm all for forgiving people when they cheat but I canNOT get why faith would forgive Sean after all the shit he pulled- not even the cheating, but all the other things he did that were shitty. I would have broken up with him long before.

    If they get married. I'm going to be so effing pissed

    ReplyDelete
  6. *giggling*
    One or more of you aren't going to like what I have planned.

    Enjoy that cryptic message!
    -del

    ReplyDelete
  7. THEY'RE GONNA ELOPE!!!!!



    mwhahahaha. i doubt it.

    what a tease! Especially on Friday??? Best believe im going to be stalking your page Sunday night! lol


    ;]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Adriana, tell us how you REALLY feel :). I do agree that Sean hasn't been the best boyfriend/fiance and that he really doesn't deserve a second chance.

    Seriously Del....I mean c'mon I have a BAJILLION things I need to get done this weekend, and now I'm going to spend ALL day Sunday obsessively checking for an update...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arg my far fingers just pressed something and deleted my entire comment... I said basically it's ok bc this is my favorite blog anyway so I wish Del didn't have a life and could post 24/7 :)

    Also I'm really hoping if they do stay together it ends up great and maybe one day I'll like Sean again, hes been going downhill in my book a long time. But if they do try and it fails then faith can move on and be happy. I get the trying things out- I do, but i think I'm more like Faiths friend, who doesn't get what there is to salvage, in this situation...

    Ah well we shall see :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adriana! I agree!!! Sean needs the boot...and Karen can definitely get a wake up call about this type of behavior! C'mon and post Del! We are dying here!!!! :D No matter what happens you have kept the story line fresh and fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete