Friday, July 15, 2011

First Kiss

I found myself sitting in the waiting room of the relationship counselor’s office waiting for Sean. His plane was delayed and he sent me a text saying he might be a few minutes late to our first session. I was irritated and kept wiggling my foot and looking at the clock. Mike, our counselor recommended by Dr. Sheehan, called me into his office after a few more minutes of waiting. Mike has cropped black hair and a meticulously manicured beard. He wears dark-framed, thick glasses and was wearing and brown suit.
I apologized for Sean’s lateness as I sat down in his office and explained the situation.
“That’s not a problem. Why don’t you explain why you guys are here today.” Mike prompted.
“Well,” I said trying to think of the best way to phrase everything, “Sean and I got engaged shortly before he left for tour, he’s a musician, and we’ve been having tension for a long time. I recently found out that he slept with his tour manager on our anniversary after a fight between us and after a lot of thinking about it I decided to stay with him and try to fix our relationship. So that’s where we’re at right now.”
Just then Sean came into Mike’s office apologizing profusely and sat in the chair next to mine. He was panting as if he’d ran here. The tension between him and I when he entered the room was still apparent, though (this was the first time seeing each other since we’d met in the park).
“Faith was just telling me what brought you guys here.” Mike explained calmly to Sean.
Sean gave me a sideways glance as if to gauge my mood.
“I’m sensing some tension.” Mike said.
I almost burst out laughing. That was an understatement, for sure. I hadn’t looked at Sean once since he’d come in. Neither of us said anything. I looked down at my nails; the long silence was very loud. Eventually Sean cleared his throat and spoke up.
“We haven’t seen each other since we last discussed my….”
“Infidelity.” Mike stated.
“Yeah.” Sean said.
I smirked on the inside. I liked that Mark was being direct about Sean’s actions.
“Sean you seem uncomfortable discussing this.” Mike never seems to ask questions; he makes comments, really.
“Well, I am.” Sean said.
“Is there a reason?” Mike asked.
“It’s a sensitive topic.” Sean chanced a look at me. I was still looking at my nails. “I don’t want to make anything worse.”
“Avoiding a candid discussion about this isn’t going to help either of you. Sean, you were unfaithful in your relationship with Faith. It happened. Let’s acknowledge it. Acknowledging what happened is the only way either of you will ever be able to move on from this.”
“Okay.” Sean said.
“Now, our time is almost up for today so-”
“What? We’ve barely just started talking.” I said looking up from my nails.
“We started rather late.” Mike said matter-of-factly.
I glared at Sean. It was the first time I looked at him during the appointment.
“Faith, you seem upset.”
“That’s because I am. I went to the trouble of setting up this appointment and Sean can’t even get here on time.” I said crossing my arms and looking out the window.
“My plane was late; I got here as fast as I could, Faith.”
“We can’t come here every week so it annoys me that you were late, especially since this is our first appointment and it’s going to last for less than 20 minutes because of you. If this becomes a habit, I don’t-”
“It won’t become a habit. I’ll just have to plan better.”
Sean and I were both looking at each other for the first time during our appointment. Mike cocked his head before deciding to move on.
“So, your homework for the next session is to have sex.”
Sean and I both looked at Mike with wide eyes full of confusion.
“Excuse me?” I said.
“What?” Sean said at the same time.
“I think that you two need to start building up the level of intimacy you have lost not just with Sean’s infidelity but with the tour, as well. Having sex will increase the intimacy the two of you will have and that can help repair the trust that was broken.”
“I fail to see how that will help. I have absolutely no desire to have sex with him right now.”
“You’ve gotta bite the bullet at some point, Faith. Here’s the problem: Until the intimacy is reinstated and the trust at least has a foundation to be rebuilt on, then you may never want to have sex with Sean again. But you aren’t going to get that intimacy back with just talking to each other considering how much Sean will be away from you and touring. You need to have sex in order to kick start your relationship back into gear. We can try getting the intimacy back with talking and bonding sessions but because of your situation with touring, I’m going to be blunt: you’re just going to end up wasting your time here. It won’t work. So you need to have sex.”
Sean and I gaped at Mike.
“That’s going to be the worst sex, ever.” Sean said.
I nodded.
“Neither one of us is going to enjoy it. I obviously don’t want to and Sean knows that, how are we supposed to have sex knowing how the other one feels about it?”
“Well, I don’t recommend that you have sex immediately,” Mike said, “You just need to before we have our next session. You’re going to have to talk to each other and bond a little in order to make the sex more bearable. I don’t expect you guys to have the same sex you had prior to Sean’s infidelity but the talking and bonding will help you avoid having hate sex, for example.”
Sean and I were speechless.
Mike herded us out of his office, I paid his secretary, and then Sean and I left the building together. We stood in front of the main entrance doors to Mike’s office building looking at each other for a few moments.
“I’ve gotta go to the airport in about an hour and a half for check-in.” Sean said, “Do you want to grab something to eat?”
“No, I ate before I came here,” I said. It was true. I’m not sure I would have gone with Sean even if it hadn't been true.
“Um. So I’m going to go, then. I’m sorry for being late. It won’t happen again.” Sean said.
“Okay.” I said turning to go.
“Faith?” I turned back around, “Can I give you a kiss good bye?”
I considered this. My first instinct was to say ‘no’ but then I thought about our therapy session and the fact that I was at least going to have to try to make this relationship work.
“Okay.” I said.
Sean leaned in and we kissed. It was kind of awkward because it was sort of a peck but then not; but then it wasn’t very passionate. It was like the first kiss you have in junior high where you bang your heads together and then get out of sync and you just stand there with your mouths pressed together really tightly while not touching each other and wondering where to put your hands. I’ve definitely had better ones. I probably would have laughed if it had been under different circumstances.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if we will learn about Sean's past, and the issues he developed because of it, through this. Faith has never asked Sean about what he discusses during his therapy, and I wonder if she will finally find out/understand Sean better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way the story line is going is just making me very.....sad. I do feel that Faith has the right to be upset- her fiancé cheated on her- but I feel like she is being very malicious and rude. She told Sean she wants to try to work it out, but she is not acting like it. Also, it makes me feel uncomfortable with how Sean just takes it. After all this, instead of rebuilding their relationship, I feel like Faith will only bring Sean down and ruin the progress he made with his therapist. I don't feel like Faith is trying to make it work, I feel like she is trying to......punish him in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Faith is trying to rebuild the relationship, and cope with her feelings of hurt and anger. She was more calm and patient when she had to make the decision of what to do next. The decision-making process kept her preoccupied. But, now she has to directly deal and confront the betrayal. She must be feeling a surge of emotions that she hasn't quite felt as intensely, since the moment she realized he cheated on her.

    I don't think she sets out to punish Sean but it does feel like she is distancing herself from Sean, and creating a wall around her. I can't blame her, she is trying to protect herself from hurt. She is taking the steps and going through the motions of recovery on the outside. But it appears, that she has a lot going on the inside, and that it may take her a long time to recover.

    Sean is the only one in control of whether this situation ruins his progress with his therapist. He has to make choices such that he doesn't reverse his progress. Even with Faith's sessions Dr. Sheehan, it can be said that Sean's infidelity may have affected her progress in those sessions. But ultimately, it is in Faith's control whether her recovery and progress with Dr Sheehan continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think faith is reacting quite normally. you cant expect to go back to the way things were - all happy and go-lucky. he broke her trust, he ruined their relationship. he needs to take the heat he's getting and let her work through her anger and hurt before they can act normally.

    now if this is still happening 6 months, a year later, then clearly the relationship is not going to work, and yes, it could seem as though she is just punishing him (sort of like when aidan and carrie in SATC got back together and he was a total jerk bc he couldnt really trust her anymore...but she took it bc like, well she cheated on him, but yeah).

    i just dont think they should be together anymore. Also, bc she's so angry its like every little mess up he does, even if its not HIS fault the plane was late, it still shows a "how into this are you" from someone whose hurt that he cheated on her.

    really good post, but ugh i still really dislike sean.

    and personally, i KNOW this sounds extreme, but i dont know if i could stay in a relationship with him knowing that he's on tour with KAREN. id be like, fire her. get someone new. or we are over until you are done with the tour. bc I couldn't trust him anymore being around Karen. AND i'd want to sock her in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post. I think it shows what I would assume is an accurate picture of trying to rebuild a relationship after infidelity...I personally wouldn't go through this, especially for a guy where the majority of the relationship has been tense and unhappy.

    If the therapy sessions are every two weeks, and Sean can't come back every week, and he had exactly 1.5 hours before he had to check back in...when exactly are they going to have sex?

    I can understand Faith being irritated that he was late...I can imagine that A LOT of things he does are going to irritate her, I think that she is still processing her feelings about everything, Sean included, and in a few weeks she might decide that well it just isn't worth it. Do I think she has a right to "punish" him...yeah I do, he cheated on her and she's still obviously pissed off.

    I think it's funny that the therapist wants them to not have hate sex...maybe that is EXACTLY what they need...

    I agree with Adriana on the Karen front, if I were Faith it would totally be a me or her thing, and I'd be flying to a show soon to have it out with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with Adriana - karen would have to be gone and I would have had to smack the crap out of her.

    I understand how Faith feels..but I am not sure I could go back to someone who cheated on me. I am just not that forgiving.

    ReplyDelete