Saturday, June 5, 2010

Taking Flight

I got a text message from Sean this morning before my flight back home:

“Looking forward to seeing you some time, let me know when you’re in town and ready for…exercise?”

I smiled. I think it’s cute how awkward Sean and I are being about our whole situation, but I think I know a way to get over it. I sent him a reply text that scheduled a time we’d meet and continued packing. By the time I finished I had a few hours left and my parents decided to take me out to lunch. We had a nice evening and on the car ride back I was in a really good mood. I don’t think I’ve felt so rested on a vacation before. That sounds silly but I know I’m not the only one that had experienced a vacation that can be more stressful than work. Sometimes just planning a vacation can be stressful. The flight back was okay and I thankfully didn’t get stuck behind anyone in the expert traveler line.

My good mood didn’t last that long, though. When I arrived back at my apartment it felt empty and I felt incredibly lonely. I usually get really homesick after visiting my parents because they provide me with such a sense of security; emotional and financial, but this time it was like getting hit with a wave of it as soon as I walked in the door. As I unpacked my clothes in my empty apartment, I started to cry…then my phone rang. It was my mom.

“Hello?” I said trying not to sound like I was crying.

“Hey sweetie, I just wanted to see if you got home alright.”

“Yeah, I got home about 20 minutes ago, I was just unpacking.”

“Okay, well, is there anything you would like me to send you? I was about to go shopping and thought I’d ask you if you needed anything.” She was getting skeptical at the sound of my wavering and stuffed up voice.

“I don’t think so, I think I’m okay. You don’t need to get me anything.”

“Okay, well I’ll call you later then.” I could see her nodding and making an imaginary list of things to buy from the store and send to me.

Once I got off the phone I sniffled and took a few deep breaths. I finished packing and picked up my mail, which had two movies in it, so I decided to order a pizza and watch them. It was a pretty uneventful night until I found myself searching for an animal to adopt online. I think that might make me feel less alone in my apartment, or at the very least, I’ll have something to come home to everyday. I think I’m financially capable of owning a pet and I have plenty of room in my apartment for even the largest dog I could ever find, besides we always had pets when I was growing up and I think I can be responsible enough to take care of them the way they need me to. I bookmarked a few potential pets and went to bed full of pizza and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment