Friday, June 11, 2010

New News is Good News

“I’m thinking about getting a pet.” I said.
Anna looked at me with surprise as she handed me a cup of coffee.

“Okay, why exactly?”

“I feel lonely.”

“But you have me and Zoey and Elise.” Anna looked a little hurt.

“I know, but it would be nice to come home to something. I don’t want to be annoyingly needy to my friends by calling them multiple times a night because I’m bored or lonely. Then I won’t have any friends.”

“Faith, listen to yourself. You’re always there for us when we need you. It’s only fair that we be there when you need us, too. I’m sure my miscarriage wasn’t the most convenient for you but you came to the hospital and helped me when Theo left. Let us be there for you.”

“It’s not that I don’t think I can’t rely on you guys, I just want a pet to take care of. They’ll be happy to see me when I come home, I’ll have something to do, like take it for a walk or play with it when I’m bored. I feel like I’ll be more fulfilled if I have something else in my life. For the past few months all I’ve been doing is dealing with Kevin’s crap and working, I just want something for me.”

“Okay.”
Theo walked into the dining room and greeted me.

“Do you ladies need anything?”

“Can you grab the lemon raspberry cookies and then join us?” Anna asked,

“So I’m glad you could come over, Faith. I know I haven’t been the best person to be friends with this year.”

“Anna, you’ve been perfectly fine. I’m just glad I could help you through it. How’s the counseling going?”

“I think it’s going really well. I feel like our marriage is stronger than ever and Theo and I haven’t been so…active …since we were newlyweds,” she said blushing.

“These cookies look and taste amazing,” Theo said setting them on the table and then sitting next to Anna.

They both smiled at me and I suddenly felt nervous.

Anna cleared her throat, “Faith, I-we kind of had an ulterior motive for inviting you over.”

“You mean you didn’t want to just bask in my amazing personality?” I asked trying to lighten the mood.

Anna and Theo giggled, “No, I guess not,” she said, “ We wanted to know if you would be a god mother for us, well, I mean for our baby.”

“WHAT!?”

“Anna found out that she’s pregnant again a few days ago. She’s only a few weeks along and we don’t want to get any hopes up since we could lose it like the last one-“

“But we just couldn’t hold it in anymore and I think you’d make a great god parent to our baby or any future child we might have.” Anna said.

I was speechless with shock and happiness, “Of course! I’d love to!”

Anna jumped up from the table and gave me a hug. Theo left us alone after a few minutes (and after a giant hug from him too) and we started talking.

“We were so surprised, Faith. I thought it would take forever to get pregnant again, like before, but it just happened so fast. I’m going to tell Zoey and Elise tomorrow at work but Theo and I just couldn’t wait to ask you about the god parent thing.”

Anna was absolutely beaming, I’m so happy for her! I told her I couldn’t wait to plan a baby shower and eventually left after much celebrating.
In other news, I’m starting work soon with the news station paper and I have a meeting with the editor in a few days to talk about our work styles and begin the interviewing process.

3 comments:

  1. That is excellent news about the "baby!" Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are working out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like things are looking up for Anna and Theo. Good for them!

    ReplyDelete