Saturday, May 1, 2010

Man!

I was in the middle of interviews for our new position and was making pretty great headway. I had some funny stories to tell form the day, though. The best one:

A woman came in for the interview today with her infant. This has happened before and so I wasn’t all that surprised or confused…until she opened her mouth. The woman talked in hushed tones and “baby talk” during the interview like it was normal. I didn’t really know what she was expecting because when I spoke like a sane person with my interview questions I started to get the feeling that she was kind of pissed that I wasn’t talking like her. To be sure, she will not be someone I hire or keep for future reference…

I’ve settled on someone that is really going to annoy Kevin. They are perfectly qualified for the job, they have a great attitude, and have a valid interest in HR, which is good if I need to train someone to take over for me when I find a job and get the hell out of here. Oh…it’s also a dude. I can’t wait until I introduce Scott to Kevin because I have a feeling Kevin wanted an attractive woman, not for her secretarial skills (we saw that with him trying to pass Hannah off as a valid candidate) but so that he would have something nice to look at all day. And probably someone to use as a fling before his wedding. I’m sure he’ll absolutely be miserable with Scott but the best thing about it is that Scott probably won’t give me or Kevin a reason to fire him. His references were GLOWING. I wish I’d had references like his right out of college and he graduated with a 4.0 as the valedictorian of his class. Saying I was impressed by his resume was an understatement.

Speaking of the job hunt; I’ve got two interviews next week that I’m really looking forward to. I probably am overqualified for both jobs but I’m ready to get back on the market and expect to be looking for awhile. One job is an HR assistant at a television station while the other one isn’t really a traditional HR position. It’s for an internet start-up company where I would help hire bloggers for an online community. It’s sort of like an online newspaper but everything is an opinion. I would also be responsible for trolling the internet to find potential hires. The second job is a pittance compared to what I get paid now, but it sounds interesting. If I’m even offered it...I don’t know that I would take it.

My day was actually going fine until I checked my office mail. There was an unaddressed envelope to me and inside it was a bereavement card. It had a black wilting flower on it and the inside had blocked out script in embossed gold that said, “Sorry for your loss”. When I read it, I crumpled the envelope in my hand and immediately went to Kevin’s office.

“What the hell is this?” I said throwing the card on his desk.

“How should I know? Is this your way of asking for funeral leave or something?”

I looked at Kevin with a dark glare. “You know exactly what this is because you sent it. Is this your way of trying to intimidate me into thinking you’re going to get me fired?”

“Faith, I’ve never seen that card, and besides, if I was trying to get you fired why would I leave evidence like that?”

I was silent a moment and then said, “Knock off the pranks Kevin. We’re adults; can we please act like it?” I didn’t wait for his reply and for the second time this week, I stomped out of his office. I ripped the card up.

2 comments:

  1. Hiring a male secretary is epic!! I was hoping it would either be a guy or some hardass secretary from way back.

    I wonder who she is getting these things from. First the flowers and now the card.. Maybe Hannah is getting her digs in where she can? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot all about the flowers until this. Can't wait to find out who is behind it. Male secretary I love it!!

    ReplyDelete