Thursday, April 29, 2010

Muffin

I’ve been ruminating on the whole hiring Hannah thing. There’s something that isn’t right about it and I decided to do something about it today. We have a pretty involved board. They meet once a week and are often found visiting individually with the writers and other employees. It’s nice because they’re interested in the things the paper produces and by showing their support it makes a very organic working environment. It’s definitely something I’m going to miss when I leave. Anyway, one of the board members, Mrs. Garrison, was visiting with the employees today (she brought a muffin basket!) and I asked if she could stop by and visit with me before she left. She agreed and I retreated to my office to pull Hannah’s application and resume in case I needed it.

“What can I do for you dear?” she said sitting on my couch. I joined her and chose my words carefully.

“Well, I’m just confused about something that I think you can help me with.”

“Go on.”

“Kevin said that the board approved funds to hire a personal secretary for him because it will help boost productivity.”

“Yes, that’s right, we did.”

“Did Kevin show you any possible hires for that position?”

“He mentioned having one in mind, but we don’t deal with actually hiring people, that’s your job.” She laughed and patted my knee.

I smiled at her and relaxed on the couch, “so I’m free to make the decision about the hiring of that position? Because Kevin implied that the person he had in mind was already hired and I just wanted to double check that with you before I process the applicant’s paperwork for a background check, since we have to pay for that.” I knew that if I made this about avoiding extraneous money being spent, it wouldn’t seem so suspicious or negative in regards to Kevin.

She bought it.

“Oh, no Faith, the members of the board aren’t qualified to hire people on the spot. We wouldn’t waste that kind of time or step on your toes like that.”

I thanked her for the cherry almond muffin and we said our goodbyes. I guess I should clarify something: the board hired Kevin because his position is something they have a vested interest in. The Editor-in-Chief decides what is or is not published under the name of the paper and therefore controls the reputation and bias of the news it provides. The board obviously invests money into the paper and therefore they want to control the viewpoints it puts out to the public, so it makes sense that they would review and ultimately hire someone with their interests in mind. That’s why when Kevin was hired; I knew nothing about it (that and the urgency of George’s exit and immediate need for a substitute). I am responsible for hiring our writing staff and any other employees that would have Kevin or me as their boss…which means I’m in charge of hiring secretaries.

After lunch I strutted over to Kevin’s office and knocked on the open door. He spun around in his chair with a questioning look.

“Hey Kevin, I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be starting the screening process for your personal secretary tomorrow. I’ve gotten a few hits off our usual job posting sites and have already started looking into them.”

“Faith, I told you, Hannah has already been hired.” He laid back in his chair and put his arms behind his head.

I stepped into his office and leaned on the door jam, “Well I had a lovely conversation with Mrs. Garrison this morning and she is under the impression that I will be hiring for that position and after looking at her application, Hannah is not a qualified candidate. So…I’m going to start interviewing tomorrow. Kay?”

“Garrison is ancient; she can’t even remember what she did five minutes ago let alone what was decided in a meeting that happened a few days ago.”

I was shocked that Kevin was talking about a board member (someone who pays hi salary) like that so loudly and rudely. Mrs. Garrison was old but she was perceptive and nothing gets past her, I have no problem believing her over Kevin.

“Well, regardless, I have a member of the board’s permission to begin the hiring process for the position and have deemed your candidate to be unqualified. Do you really want me to go to every member and double check with them?”

Kevin suddenly looked uncomfortable, there was a pause, “…No.”

I smiled, “Okay then, I’m going to start calling possible candidates. Have a nice day.”

Kevin snorted and didn’t return my goodbye. I popped my head back into his office.

“Oh and Kevin?” he looked up with an annoyed look, “don’t ever try to go over my head like that again. If I reported this to the board, you’d be fired immediately.” I spun on my heel and walked away. I don’t know if that last part is entirely true, but Kevin probably doesn’t know that...and even if he does, I don't particularly care.

Faith: 1 Kevin: 0

5 comments:

  1. That was great! Nice Job Faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how Faith is standing up for herself. I'm still curious on why he wanted Hannah for that position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Score one for Faith! He obviously thought that Faith wouldn't have done her homework. He probably wanted Hannah there to make Faith uncomfortable. And Hannah probably wanted the position so she could keep an eye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hannah is a moron for being with him!

    ReplyDelete