Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Talk Back

I went in to talk to Hugh about what happened and to give an official statement for the paper’s records. When I walked into the office everyone was staring at me and it made me really uncomfortable. It was like I was making a walk of shame to the conference room where Hugh was sitting. He looked up from some papers and a voice recorder as I entered and shook my hand. He asked how I was and after the pleasantries we started.

“First, Kevin will not be anywhere near you for the remainder of your time with us. And I just want to let you know that, although I understand you’d want to leave after what happened, your job will be open if you change your mind.”

“I appreciate that Hugh, but quitting was something I’d been thinking about before what happened last week. My decision to quit was not influenced by any of it.”

Hugh looked relieved and we moved on to recording an official statement.

“So can you tell me what exactly occurred on the date in question.”

“I went to Kevin’s office to have him sign some forms for my two-weeks’ notice as dictated by our policy. After he signed them I asked him if he’d been drinking. Once I told him that I’d have to call security, as building policy demands, he attempted to grope me. I slapped him on the face and tried to leave. At that point Kevin pushed me up against his desk and tried to take off my shirt. While doing this he continued to grope me, that’s when Herb and Wesley came in to pull him off.”

“What prompted you to file the sexual harassment claim?”

“The nature of Kevin’s approach and actions were deliberately sexual and I felt the paper would want a record of what had happened.”

“Is there anything else you’d like to add?” Hugh asked from across the table.

“Yes.” I paused and became uncomfortable.

“Go on.”

“Kevin and I were involved in a romantic relationship from January to about March. We ended things about a month and a half ago. I chose to end the relationship due to issues I had with him being my boss as well as some personal reasons. Since then Kevin has been monitoring my work and looking to get me fired while I have tried to remain professional and cordial. I wanted to tell you so you know the full extent of Kevin’s and my relationship and heard it up front.”

Hugh looked a little shocked. Dating my boss wasn’t something he expected of me and I could see his disappointment. It wasn’t against the rules or anything but there’s a stigma to it. He absorbed what I had said and continued with the statement.

“Thank you, is there anything else you would like to include for this statement?”

“Yes, I will not be pressing charges against Kevin or the paper in any way.”

We finished the statement and Hugh apologized for what happened. He can’t disclose what happened to Kevin but I’m sure he’s been fired. Dina told me that he cleared out his office and that Hannah came by to help him. When I think back to meeting Hannah for the first time I was so jealous of her. Now, I just feel pity for her. She knows the person she’s dating is a creep but she doesn’t want to leave him; the excuses, the lies, they’ll wear on her eventually and she’ll realize she’s better than Kevin in so many ways. He doesn’t deserve her and she’ll hopefully realize that sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

  1. Have to say that Faith handled that with grace, dignity, and professionalism. Hanna, I don't for the life of me know why a woman like that would stay with a low life like Kevin. I'm sure he made this incident sound like it was Faith trying to seduce him and when he said no she screamed sexual harrassment. And for whatever reason I'm sure she believed him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith handled that well. And Hannah does deserve better, anyone would with a jackass like Kevin.

    ReplyDelete