Monday, May 17, 2010

Hannah 2.0

When I got to work the next day I closed my door and calmly hung up my jacket and purse before practically ripping apart my file cabinet looking for Hannah’s application. I found it, but it definitely wasn’t hers. The application Kevin gave me was for a Hannah King, not a Hannah Fitzgerald. He had lied to me (yet again) that this Hannah was his fiancĂ©e. I couldn’t believe just how low Kevin was; I was absolutely shocked.

I looked at the application on my desk with an icy stare before typing her name into several career and hiring sites we regularly used. She came up on several. Her current place of employment was as a mailroom clerk for Summit Advertising Incorporated…which was in the same building as the paper. The pieces were all falling together. I looked into the database for our building (it was a security feature that had been opened up about a year ago that let us see everyone who should have access to the building so we could report suspicious people) her information popped up as well as a picture. One thing was pretty clear: I found the mystery woman from the elevators.

I calmly walked down to Kevin’s office and waved at Scott while I passed by his desk. He looked like he was going to stop me but decided against it. I stared at Kevin’s office upon entry, it looked like he had been living in it.

“Hi, I need to talk to you about Hannah.”

“Not now, please. I’ve had to deal with her enough this week.” Kevin said groaning and going back to his proofreading.

“The other Hannah.” I stated.

Kevin sighed, “Take a seat.”

“Are you having an affair with her?”

“Wow, that’s pretty damn blunt Faith, is that even appropriate for an HR rep to ask?”

“No, but I saw you leave pretty close together once and didn’t know who she was until about ten minutes ago. So? Are you?”

“It’s really none of your business and it’s not breaking any company rules if I was, so what’s your problem?”

“My problem is that you wanted me to hire someone you’ve been having an affair with. I need you to stop trying to make me look bad at my job. I mean it.”

“Oh, please, this isn’t about you. Hannah hates her job and wanted to see if I could help her out, nothing more, nothing less.”

“I have enough on you to get you fired, do you know that?”

“Bullshit.”

“No, I’ve been documenting things and if you try to screw me over one more time, I swear to God that I will take everything I’ve got and give it to the board.”

“You have nothing.”

“Oh, really. Well, I know that you’ve missed several deadlines and blamed the writing staff when it was actually your fault, I know that you do very little work because you keep screwing with me, and I almost have enough for a harassment claim if you send me another anonymous “gift”, and that’s not even the tip of the iceberg.”

Kevin’s jaw dropped and he looked uncomfortable. He told me to get out of his office and basically shoved me out the door. He didn’t come out for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

  1. I got it right on the Hannah thing lol. Kevin didn't send her the "gifts" and I really wish he'd tell her in a way she'd believe so she can start trying to figure out who is doing it. And Hannah the fiance probably gave him the boot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin is such an ass! If he lost his job and his fiance it would be due justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agreem with Laura B about the gifts not being sent by Kevin, but because he's such an ass, I don't care if he takes the fall for it or not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love this! You go Faith, keep the jerk in line!

    ReplyDelete