Thursday, May 13, 2010

Produce

I got a second interview for the news station job. It’s on Friday and I should know by Monday if they want to hire me. I found out that they won’t be prepared to take me on until nearly a month from now, which means I’ll be stuck with Kevin for a whole month even if I do get the job. I also learned that this particular news station has its own newspaper connected to it and if I get the job, I’d be responsible for hiring staff for that AND the editor and I would be a hiring team for any new writers. I REALLY want this job. I heard back from another place but said I needed time to think about it. I’m really waiting to see if I get the news station job before I make a decision. I’m prepared to take it though if I don’t get an offer from the news station.

I spent most of the day deep-cleaning my apartment and decided I had to go grocery shopping after looking at the pathetic contents of my refrigerator and pantry: an expired carton of milk, some wilted lettuce, a box of Cheez-its, and powered hot chocolate packets.

First off, I actually enjoy going grocery shopping, but I live in the city so I don’t have/can’t afford to own a car which means I either have to borrow a friend’s or ration off how much I can buy at the store and make multiple trips. Yeah….

“Pleeeeeeeeeease? You can come, if you want.” I begged into the phone.

“How much do you have to buy?” Zoey said, making me sweat it out.

“A lot, I have literally no food in my house. Unless you count Cheez-it’s and hot chocolate powder food.” I started smiling as Zoey pretended to consider it.

“Okay, I’ll pick you up in a few minutes. It’s only because I was about to go, though, don’t make it a habit.” She laughed and hung up. Zoey and I always did this, she pretended not to let me borrow her car while I begged and showered her with compliments. I always paid her back for the gas and I’m an impeccable driver so she’s comfortable letting me drive it. It’s always fun when Zoey comes along.

Zoey had to walk across the street to fill a prescription while I perused the grocery store shelves. While bending over into a freezer I felt someone standing next to me. When I looked up I saw Theo.

“Oh….hey Theo…how….how is…everything?” I said holding a carton of strawberry ice cream and a frozen cheesecake. He looked at my goods and smiled, “Watch it.” I said dumping them into the cart.

“Everything is…healing.” Theo said choosing his words carefully. I could tell he didn’t want to jinx anything but my heart was bursting with happiness now that they were able to start a reconciliation process, “I’m currently sleeping on the couch and we started seeing a new marriage counselor, one that specializes in couples who have lo….like us.”

I nodded and gave Theo a hug, “I’m really happy for you. Progress is good.”
Theo hugged me back before snatching my cheesecake from my cart. “HEY! That’s the last one!”

“I know, but Anna specifically asked for it, you wouldn’t want to deprive her, would you?” He said laughing. I sighed and waved goodbye to him while I went digging in the freezer looking for any hint of a hidden cheesecake.

After shopping and browsing for a little longer Zoey and I checked out and she helped me carry my groceries up and put them away. As a favor I made five cheese lasagna and garlic bread with a side salad for the both of us. For dessert we had cheesecake (There was one hiding under some popsicle boxes) and I told her about seeing Theo and that things might be looking up for him and Anna. Zoey smiled and nodded. That’s all that needed to be said.

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm happy to hear about Theo and Anna. Hope they can make things work out. And good luck with the job. Funny I'm looking for a job in Human Resources. I've worked in Accounting all my life, and am just finally finishing my business degree and want to move into Human Resources. I think it'll be a bit more exciting than Accounting lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy about Theo and Anna. Going to a couselor who specializes in loss was a good move. And I hope everything works out for them.

    ReplyDelete