Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hell

Kevin walked into my office this morning absolutely beaming.

“Good morning, Kevin.” I said slightly irritated, “What can I help you with?”

Kevin sat down across from and smiled. There was an awkward pause while he smiled at me and I counted down the seconds. This is the absolute worst working situation ever….having a boss that revels in your discomfort and goes out of their way to make your life hard. UGH.

“If you don’t need anything….I’m busy planning George’s retirement party….and your congratulations party.”

This was a recent event that bothered me a lot. The board wanted to give George a great send off because he’s worked for them for so long (the paper is new but he’s been working for members of the board on previous news projects forever and therefore has qualified to receive retirement benefits that they set up through a private employee insurance company) but they are also trying to spend money so they’ve required that George’s party be given 50% more funds and shared with a welcome/congratulations party for Kevin. We usually don’t have congratulations parties but George insisted that Kevin should be thanked taking the position while he was on sabbatical and the board made an exception. It’s more of a thank you party, but the board and Kevin are referring to it as a congratulations party. Oh, office politics.

Anyway, Kevin reached into his blazer pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He handed it to me. I looked at it for awhile in immense confusion.

“Um….we aren’t hiring. Did I miss something?”

“I got approval from the board. I need a personal secretary now that I’ve taken George’s place and they thought it would be a productive investment.”

Funny….Kevin never needed anyone before; Kelly was doing just fine being everyone’s secretary.

“Um, okay, I’ll place an ad on the usual sites this afternoon.”

He handed me another piece of paper, “Not necessary, I’ve already hired her.”

I saw the name on the filled out application and broke into a cold sweat.

“Ha-Hannah? Your fiancée….Hannah?”

“Yeah.”

This could not be happening to me…

“Isn’t that a conflict of interest? I’m usually the person who does the hiring and looking at this application she doesn’t have any of the skills we normally look for in a secretary.”

“This is really just a formality Faith….she’s already been hired."

I stared at him in disbelief.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“The board already approved her. Have a nice day.”

Kevin walked out of my office. I am LIVID. Not only is Kevin making my life more difficult than ever, but now he’s going over my head to do my JOB. I can’t believe that they hired someone with absolutely NO qualification to be a secretary whatsoever…it’s like they never even looked at the application.

4 comments:

  1. Well what a lovely turn of events. Not just having to see Kevin everyday but Hannah as well. Talk about awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith needs to find a new job ASAP. But why the hell does Kevin want his finance working with him if he's still screwing around? Maybe Hannah insisted so she can keep an eye on him??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe.. Kevin surprised Hannah with a job so he could gain her trust back after the whole catching Kevin in a compromising sitution thing. And that could be why he was talking to that woman that Faith saw while she was hiding in the bushes.

    OR! Kevin did not approve it with the board and he is trying to get Faith to trip up. It's mentioned that Hannah is not qualified for the job, then Kevin could report her to the big guys and tell them that she made a bad hiring decision and perhaps, she'll be ultimately fired or she'll quit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is a good point. He may be setting her up. But something tells me that he is less interested in setting he rup as he is in making sure Faith is as uncomfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete