Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bias?

“I think Kevin is having an affair with someone in the office.”

Zoey looked at me with a shocked look, “Really? Why would he be so dumb? He knows you’re going to be looking for any reason to get him fired.”

“Kevin is pretty arrogant, though, so he might think he can get away with it.”

“How do you even know this?”

I blushed, “Well…I might have eavesdropped and observed something surreptitiously….behind a giant plant.”

Zoey laughed and went to go get the popcorn impatiently beeping in the microwave. I followed her to the kitchen and got out drinking glasses and filled them with soda while she filled a bowl with the popcorn.

“What did you do?”

“It wasn’t something I sought out. I was actually trying to avoid Kevin ALL day and almost made it. When I was leaving work I saw Hannah come in and hid behind a plant in the lobby.”

“You hid behind a plant?” Zoey started munching on the popcorn.
“Yeah, she and Kevin sort of got into a disagreement and he lied to her that he was meeting with the board about George’s job. But he wasn’t, that’s supposed to happen on Friday, I know, I scheduled the meeting.”

“Really?” Zoey was surprised at that information.

“Yeah, I mean, normally I would say that I’m being paranoid-“

“-And being a creeper.” Zoey added.

“But I know this was a lie. THEN, after they left, a woman walked out of the elevators.”

“Who was she?”

“I don’t know, by that point it was dark outside and I couldn’t get a good view of her face or clothes since she was wearing a hat and a black coat.”

“Lame. Do you have any idea who it could be?”

“No, everyone in the building basically wears a black coat, it would be impossible to guess. I think she might have been a blonde.”

“Have you ever seen Kevin flirting or checking out anyone in the office?”

“No, I guess not,’ I sighed, “Maybe I am just manipulating what I saw to make me feel like I have some power over Kevin…”

“Maybe. You’re right that he lied, but that’s the only proof you’ve got and it doesn’t mean he was doing anything with that woman. Besides, she might not even work with you right?”

“True.” I nodded, the paper shared an office building with a lot of other businesses and companies, so it’s entirely possible that the woman who came out of the elevator isn’t even someone I work with.

“I mean, Kevin doesn’t really need a good reason to lie, he lies like a professional, right?” Zoey took a sip of soda and put her feet on the coffee table.

“You’re right, I believed all of his lies.” Zoey could see that I was starting to feel negative and changed the subject.

“So…which movie do you want to watch first? Apocalypse Now? Or Full Metal Jacket?”

We watched violent war movies until we passed out and it, surprisingly, made us both feel better about the state of our love lives.

2 comments:

  1. Oh he's definitely screwing around with someone else. He has already shown that he thinks he can get away with it. My guess would be the secretary (I forget her name), it's always the secretary.

    Faith needs to channel her inner Nancy Drew, solve the mystery, and get that ass fired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea the prick prob has more than 1 stringing along. I want to see him fired and lose Hannah. Btw, I hate war movies but for some reason always like Full Metal Jacket

    ReplyDelete