Wednesday, April 14, 2010

World War K

Kevin hasn’t been to work for two days but today he called me about 20 times while I was trying to work. At about the 50th call from him I answered the phone.

“What do you want? I’m at work!” I hissed.

“I want to explain what happened. It’s not –“I cut him off.

“If you want to explain, that’s fine, but I’m at work right now and I will not deal with this while I’m at work.”

“Can I meet you when you get off of work then?”

“You know, I don’t think I really have anything to say to you other than we’re over.”

“Just meet me after work and give 5 minutes, Faith. Please?”

I sighed and relented. When I left at the end of the day he was waiting outside in his car. I refused to get in and we walked to a coffee shop in a cold silence.

“Do you want a coffee?” Kevin asked as he held the door open for me.

“No.” I said harshly.

We sat and I started right away, “Let me get this straight. We are no longer together. You and I will no longer have a personal relationship, I cannot and do not trust you.”

“Let me explain, it’s not what you think.” I sighed and looked at my watch, he took that as a sign to get to the point, “Hannah never moved out. She was in the process of moving and found out about you. When I told you she was moving out, I wasn’t lying, she really was. She still thought we could end up back together and I made it very clear to her that I was with you, that’s when she went crazy and moved back in. There wasn’t anything I could do about it.”

“Why didn’t you move out?”

Kevin was silent.

“She didn’t really know about me did she? I saw her face when she walked in, you’re lying to me. You’ve lied to me the whole time. Hannah never knew, you never broke it off with her, you just told me you did so I would be with you.”

Kevin gave up, “Of course I didn’t tell her. I couldn’t."

“So you decided to lie to me about it. I need a better explanation.”

Kevin relaxed in his chair with an air of arrogance and I saw a hint of malice in his eye.

“You don’t know Hannah, I need to marry her to get everything I want. I wasn’t going to waste that on dumping her to be with you. I mean do you really think you’re all that special? You work a dead-end job at one of the least credible newspapers in the city, why would I dump Hannah for you? I was never going to stay with you. You were something to waste my time while Hannah planned the wedding and nothing more. Luckily, Hannah is understanding and has not called anything off, so my activities with you weren’t even really a risk.”

I was speechless. Kevin saw the shock on my face and started laughing. I looked at him sharply and composed myself almost immediately.

“Well, since it’s the least credible paper in the city I take it you’ll be happy to keep up your end of our bargain?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t you remember? Before we got involved we agreed that if we ended things you would leave the paper.” I sat back in my chair and cocked my head.

“Oh, please, like anyone would actually agree to that.” Kevin scoffed, “Not only am I not quitting, but I’m acting editor-in-charge now. George is retiring and that means I have full responsibilities and privileges including being able to fire you.”

George must have contacted Kevin about it after he visited me the other day.

“I’d actually have to do something that would require being fired and I’m an ideal employee.”

“You’re not perfect; you’ll have to slip up sometime.”

With that Kevin stood up, I followed him out of the coffee shop and went to leave. He grabbed my arm to stop me from going and whispered into my ear.

“Thanks for the ride.”

I slapped him across the face, spun on my heel, and hailed a cab. Kevin stood on the sidewalk and watched me go.

9 comments:

  1. omigosh! i hope there's a way for her to get him out of there without losing her job! what a douchebag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should have gotten the coffee so that she could have thrown it in that jerk's face. He's a douche and I can't wait till he slips up and gets fired. And I feel bad for Hannah. She just thought he was cheating on her, wonder if she knows about him using her to get what he wants. Maybe someone should clue her in. It'd be sweet revenge for him to have the rug pulled out from under him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next to that slap I would have given him a knee in the balls. Idiotic jerk. And he seemed so promising in the first few posts (before they actually started dating).

    Faith has to discuss this with her girls. And maybe file a complaint for sexual harrasment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I didn't expect this!! I mean yea I figured he had never really broken up with Hanna, but to be this unfeeling piece of sh** I also knew he wouldn't quit his job. But now he's going to make Faith's job hell, so she may as well go looking for another because I for one couldn't go on working with someone like that. And there must have been something with Faith, he persued her, didn't push sex on her. Was great with her friend problems. I mean like a real relationship. What s douche

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura B, I certainly expected some low from him. What a snake! Can we rally the troups and get us sum revenge? Yeah baby, don't get mad get even with that snake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope great idea. Love to see the "girls" do some payback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is evil and must be destroyed.

    Still think Hannah is probably in the dark about just how low Kevin is. It would be nice to have her dump the chump and he will loose the means to get what he wants.

    And I wonder if their "relationship" is against company policy? Time for Faith to play dirty and beat Kevin at his own game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't Faith mention in the beginning of the blog that office romances where against policy. Even though she was a part it would be worth the risk to take it to the Board of Directors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember but if it would get Kevin fired I would be all for it. Usually in that sitation they wouldn't even care about Faith's part in it since Kevin is her boss. That's a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete