Friday, October 15, 2010

Guilt

Suzy and Dina started their first day today and seem to be fitting in really well. More importantly, I have lunch pals again. Steve called in sick to work today (he’s been battling a nasty flu since last week) so to celebrate my freedom from vegan Steve for lunch the three of us got double cheeseburgers, milkshakes, and cheese fries.

It wasn’t my best moment, to be fair, and I’m sorry that Steve is sick but I needed to eat a cheeseburger without Steve’s scoffs from across the table. I think he’s just jealous. The cheeseburger I had today would have looked delicious to any of the stuff he’s brought to lunch the past month (lettuce wraps filled with shredded cabbage, shredded carrots with black bean paste, dill pickles wrapped in imitation soy turkey). I like Steve, I really do, but I really liked that cheeseburger too.

Anyway, I told Suzy and Dina about my life so far. I’m going to take them to see Sean’s band next weekend since Gerry is going to be fired and I’m assuming won’t be there. Dina’s going to bring her husband and Suzy is going to bring Stormy, the really egotistical news anchor that writes for our paper as well. I haven’t had to work with him too much but from what I can tell, he’s pretty full of himself. Apparently Suzy and Stormy have already scheduled a date.

“You just started here. Do you really think that’s wise?” I asked Suzy.

“Faith, not everyone ends up being groped in their ex-boyfriend’s office. Give me a little professional credit here. We’re adults.”

“Fair enough.” I said reaching for my milkshake.

Dina wasn’t convinced.

“Suzy, what about the office gossip? I’ve heard that Stormy has systematically made his way through all of the female staffers and interns. The only people he apparently hasn’t slept with are Faith, me, and Veronica.”

“I heard that, too.” I added.

It was true. Dating a co-worker isn’t against the paper’s policy guidelines; the only requirement is that the relationship is disclosed to me so we can file paperwork to cover our asses if a sexual harassment issue comes up. I’ve had to fill out that piece of paperwork for nearly all of the female staffers and Stormy. It seems like a weekly occurrence and from what I’ve heard he just kind of cycles through the women when he gets bored. This is something he does at the news station as well. It’s not very professional but I’m covering my professional bases and staying out of it for now.

“Guys, I just want to have some fun, okay. Besides, he’s a funny guy. He makes me laugh.” Suzy said with an air of finality. “Speaking of office gossip, did you guys know that Steve and Tom are dating?”

“What?” I asked.

“Yeah, I heard Tom talking on his phone on the way in today, he was definitely talking to Steve.”

“Suzy, you’ve been working here for half a day. Only you would figure out the juiciest gossip this fast. You should be an investigative reporter instead of a celebrity gossip columnist.” Dina said before biting into her cheeseburger.

“That’s against our policy, Steve knows that. Why would he risk his job like that?” I mused more to myself than to my friends.

“I don’t know, it sounded like Steve. Tom wished whoever he was talking about to get better and that he couldn’t wait to see him later. He offered to bring them soup.”

“So you don’t actually know if it’s Steve.” I said flatly.

“It’s a hunch, Faith. Don’t be surprised if this is true.” Suzy grabbed the ketchup and squirted it on her fries.

“Whatever.” I chose to change topics because Suzy’s “hunch” wasn’t evidence of a possible relationship between Steve and Tom and I didn’t want to gossip about Steve. It just felt wrong.

I talked to Suzy and Dina about Elise and Zoey and asked them for their advice.

“You should tell her.” Dina said quickly.

“Yeah, you should.” Suzy nodded in agreement.

“But Elise said she’d never do it again and I told her I wouldn’t. And, technically, if Zoey doesn’t ask me about it it’s not really lying.” I said weakly.

“Whatever lets you sleep at night.” Dina said.

“Lying by omission is still lying,” Suzy said, “mark my words, Faith, she’ll find out eventually and she deserves to know. Wouldn’t you want to know if it was Sean?”

I mulled over what Suzy was getting at and now I feel guilty. How am I supposed to keep my promise to Elise (and Anna) while being a good friend to Zoey?

2 comments:

  1. I am confused on one think, if its ok to date co workers why is Steve risking his job if he is dating Tom? or is it because he didn't disclose it to Faith? And I don't think that Faith is obligated to Elise at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's about disclosure. Faith has to file paperwork in case of sexual harassment lawsuits. Steve isn't exempt just because he's gay.

    And I still think Faith should tell Zoey. Zoey has been a good friend to Faith while Elise has shown her shady side. The Elise stuff will come to light and people are going to get hurt.

    ReplyDelete