Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Party Job

I got the revisions on the company policy guidelines back last week and Steve and I have been working diligently on brainstorming, adjusting, and resubmitting all of the revisions. Suzy and Dina both got the jobs I gave them notice about because I gave them glowing recommendations when Veronica asked me about them and I am SO excited! I haven’t realized how much I missed them until now. It’ll be great to have them be my lunch buddies again. Don’t get me wrong, Steve is great, but I just miss Suzy and Dina…they didn’t have as many dietary restrictions as Steve the vegan and I never found myself lying to them about working through lunch just so I could eat a chicken salad without immense shame and guilt coming from across the table.

I also finally touched base with Zoey about the double date she promised me with Sean and Wesley. We’re going next Friday since Sean, surprisingly doesn’t have a gig. Dinner and a movie, it should be a lot of fun. Speaking of Zoey, Anna called me up after our less than great time with Elise to talk to me.

“Faith, you can’t just say you’ve moved on when you haven’t. You’re still suspicious of her and you still resent her and you know it.”

I sighed. Anna did have a point, but I really was going to try and move on. I told Elise that I would and it’s only fair that she gets a second chance. We all mess up.

“I’ll get over it, I just need some time.”

“Well, you better start the count-down because Zoey’s birthday is coming up and I want to throw her a surprise party.”

“Really? Zoey doesn’t really like surprises.”

“I think it’ll be fun. I’m going to rent out a party room in this pub she likes and we’ll have the pub cater hors d’oeuvres and free booze. She’ll love it. I thought we could get her a cute Z-shaped cake in leopard print, since that’s so in right now.”

I was kind of taken aback at how much thought Anna had put into this and I have to admit, I was pretty excited just hearing about it.

“That actually sounds….good.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“You know what I meant. I think she actually will like this surprise. How can I help?”

“Well, you can help me set up before the party. I don’t want to do balloons because they’re kind of immature and the world is running out of helium, anyway, so I might as well avoid stealing helium from people who really need it like MRI manufacturers and NASA.”

“You know the weirdest stuff….”

“Theo was telling me about it.”

I giggled.

“Anyway, I figured you could bring Sean and he could even bring his friends if he wanted to, so he’s not totally alone.”

“I’ll invite him, do you want me to handle the invites? I can send out an e-vite to whoever you decide to invite and I’ll let you know who RSVPs.”

“That sounds perfect. I’ll also need you to pick up the cake.”

“Okay. What’s Elise going to do?”

“Uh…”

I narrowed my eyes as I heard Anna’s trepidation to tell me.

“Nothing. I asked her to help but she’s too busy. I wanted to involve her somehow but she said she’ll be booked up until the party starts with work and her various boyfriends. I didn’t want to push it considering everything that’s happened.”

“Are you sure she’s really that booked?” I asked doubtfully.

“I didn’t want to push the issue. We’re lucky she’s even coming to the party.”

“No we’re not. Elise would come to the party to save her own ass. She knows that if she doesn’t show up Zoey will know what’s up and start digging for the reason.”

“Faith….I thought you were going to let it go?”

“I am, but that doesn’t mean I can’t get this out of my system, first. Anna, when are you going to wake up? She’s not being a very good friend to any of us and especially not Zoey. Looking back, I’m not sure she ever was. She was never on time or respected our time, she was useless during a crisis, and she’s been hitting on Zoey’s boyfriend!”

“I know…”

“Anna, I said I’d get over it, and I will, but being close to Elise probably won’t be an option for me ever again and I hate that I can’t tell Zoey.”

Anna was silent for awhile before I spoke again.

“Do you know how…insecure…Zoey is about Wesley wanting to date her?

“How could I not be?”

“Then you realize how damaging her finding out is, right?”

“Yes.”

“Then why are you sort of siding with Elise on this?” I asked exasperated.

“Because, it’s like you said, she deserves a second chance and I’m trying to avoid hurting Zoey, just like you. If we pretend like everything is normal, Zoey can’t catch on. I’m doing a better job of pretending like nothing happened than you are, I might add.”

Anna was right on that point.

“I’ll work on it, okay. I just need time.”

“Alright.”

After that Anna said good-bye and I hung up the phone. Murphy was sitting in my lap watching a house plant move in the wind from my open window. I scratched his ears and then gave him a hug. Having a kitty to pet when you’re down really makes things better.


(Author's note: if you haven't seen the one-year anniversary post, please be sure to read it, there is some very important information in it regarding Faith's age.)

6 comments:

  1. I wish Faith and Anna would realize it is not (only) for them to forgive Elise. Zoey is the key person here that needs to do the forgiving. I wish they would stop trying to 'protect' Zoey because they are just lying to her. I don't understand why Elise deserves a second chance at the expense of Zoey.Faith and Anna need to wake up and realize they don't have a right to make the decision whether Zoey gets to know or not. They should have given Elise the chance to tell Zoey or tell Zoey if Elise chose not to herself.Argh,I just don't think people should be lied to (outright or by omission).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey deserves to know the truth no matter how much it hurts. Elise is not a good friend to any of them, I say dump her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bad feeling that it's going to come out somehow, Zoey is going to find out the other girls knew and is going to feel extremely betrayed. mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only rarely does keeping a secret from the person it affects most work out to be a good idea. Faith and Anna should tell Zoey for a number crucial reasons. Plus, it really doesn't sound like Elise is a good friend - overall - to any of them. She sounds completely self-absorbed and even seems surly in her interactions with her "friends". I don't see any positives in hanging on to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweeping it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen is going to come back at them. When Zoey finds out, which I'm sure she will at the party, she is going to be even more hurt that her friends didn't tell her what was going on.

    Elise ISN'T a good friend. And it sounds like she hasn't been a good friend for awhile now. She put both Faith and Anna in an awkward position that can benefit no one and didn't even sound sorry for her actions. Doesn't sound like there is any real reason to not cut her loose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I've been reading since the beginning, but first time commenting since I only recently set up a user account. So with that being said, I think Faith and Anna should tell Zoey. Because she's either going to find out by walking in on Elise and Wesley or some other way, regardless she'll know that they kept it from her. No matter how good the intention behind it she will feel hurt. I hope they realize that before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete