Thursday, October 7, 2010

One Year Anniversary- Extremely Important Author's note

Hello friends!

One year ago today I wrote my first Modern Day Faith blog post. As some of you may know, this project started because of a school assignment for a fiction class I was in. I decided to continue writing after the class ended and it's kind of taken off. I love writing this blog but I never thought I'd be writing it a year later and in hindsight I'm going to have to make an extremely weird change to the blog.

When I started writing Modern Day Faith I made Faith 24 because it seemed like a fitting age for her and her group of friends, but now that I've been writing for this long, I feel uncomfortable writing someone who is 25 because I can't really grasp the idea of a mid-twenties woman (I was 21 when I started this blog and I just turned 22...so I'm not even half-way to being in my mid-twenties and it just seems really forced to try and write a 25 year old). So I'm making Faith's age stay 24 instead of aging her up a year, the same goes for her friends. This won't change the timeline or events of the blog and everyone else's ages are staying the same but it will be really awkward when I bring up birthdays considering there was no mention of them whatsoever last year. I'm really sorry for this hiccup in the blog and I hope it doesn't bother anyone too much, it was the easiest way for me to address this issue. For the record:

Faith is 23- Birthday is November 4th (she will be turning 24 this Nov. 4th)
Anna is 24-Birthday is June 12th (she turned 24 this past June)
Zoey is 23- Birthday is October 29th (she will be turning 24 this month)
Elise is 24- Birthday is April 15th (she turned 24 this past April)
Sean is 28- Birthday is February 3rd (he turned 28 this past February)
Theo is 28- Birthday is August 9th (he turned 28 this past August)

I'm going to change the blog description to reflect her age but I didn't want to do it without explanation. So, to be succinct: there were no birthdays addressed in my blog over the past year because I couldn't believe I'd still be writing it in a year, but I am writing it a year later and age needs to be addressed.

One last thing: I'm moving at the end of the month and I'm trying to pack and organize things so blog posts might be off-schedule or non-existent on posting days this month. Once I'm settled in, the blog should be up and running again in which I'll be making yet another announcement. That doesn't mean posting will come to a complete standstill, I will still be trying to post every week but a post might be missing occasionally. I know this is frustrating and I've been trying to write longer, more fulfilling posts to combat this, but I feel you have a right to know why a post might not show up occasionally from now until November and I hope you'll still want to read the blog. Faith's story is about to heat up and I think you'll enjoy the stuff that's going to happen, so I hope you'll still stick with this blog (some of you have been reading for a whole YEAR. WOW!).

Thank you for reading and commenting on this blog. You guys make this worthwhile for me and I really hope you're enjoying it. Feel free to leave suggestions, constructive criticism, or theories about what is going to happen in the comments.

-del
(There will not be a post tomorrow (Friday) because I want to make sure all of my readers see this to avoid confusion before I continue on with Faith and her life)

UPDATE: The "big" announcement that I mentioned in my last author's post is the birthday issue I mentioned. The other announcement doesn't affect Faith's story at all and it's not a big deal, I promise, but I can't announce it yet since it's not entirely set in stone and I don't want to jump the gun or jinx it.

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, C'MON, Delor...why do we have to wait for the major announcement? Can't you just tell us now, or give us a hint? I've been waiting patiently since you first mentioned it a couple of weeks ago - and patience is challenging for me. I don't usually resort to whining, either...it's hardly ever productive, anyway. BUT, there's exceptions to every rule. Any idea about when we can expect the goods? SPILL-SPILL-SPILL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot: Loved the birthdate-breakdown for each character; you know I like that kind of info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, i wanted to whine about that too :
    ohhhh but YOU SAID in the LAST post that in the NEXT author's post, you're going to make a big annoucement, and now you're saying that the big announcement will be in the next post, whyyyyyy?

    lol i feel like such a whiny baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe its been a year already!! Thanks for the age thing, won't confuse me at all. But I know how readers complain about bedroom blog where K doesn't seem to age, so it is nice that Faith will be aging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you are trying to write about what you know. No one can fault you on that. And you are always updating us and keeping us informed. I am a new reader, but have read everything and am current. Keep up the good work! mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Delor: you're a very considerate and conscientious writer who's very good to your readers. We appreciate you and your thoughtful, sincere ways. I neglected to tell you that while I was pestering you about the announcement. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read every post for the last year and loved it!

    I do totally understand about the age thing, but really it wasn't an issue, Faith is written very well. I'm 26 and there's still alot of girls my age that act the same as in their teens/early twenties and some that act like they're old ladies. So you can get away with alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the explanation - I love this blog and will keep on reading it!!!!! Keep up the great work and we will be anxiously waiting for new posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blog birthday! :D I lvoe this blog! :D :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delor, Thanks for taking time to come up with little details like each character's bday & for updating us! And congrats on your blog birthday! :)

    I actually kind of prefer when characters don't age, because (1) I don't think age matters very much, at least not in the "real" world, and (2) I feel like knowing how a character's age affects how you judge her. Having followed your blog pretty much since the beginning, and I think the story leads me to think Faith is older than the age you're giving her / her "prior" age (pre-bdays). In my mind, I'm going to keep thinking of her age as more a life stage than a number :)

    ReplyDelete