Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Work and Play

Since my date with Sean I’ve been busy with work interviewing the candidates that Veronica had me sift through. I didn’t have too many interviews that were complete disasters with this group. All of the candidates, except for a few were social and would fit in here. I nixed the ones that didn’t make the cut and knocked on Veronica’s door.

“I finished up my last interview. These are the ones that made it through.” I placed the stack of applications on her desk. “How many candidates does that leave us with?”

“About 80.” She said looking over her reading glasses.

She’d been reading a writing sample when I had entered. I knew she’d been reading for hours.

“Do you want me to grab you a coffee? You look like you could use a break.” I smiled.

“That would be great. I’m almost done with the writing samples of the station employees. Then I just have to look through the applications you just handed me and we should be ready for that second round of interviews.”

“You know…I could get in contact with everyone who’s still being considered and ask them to provide a writing sample that has a maximum word limit, if that would save you some time.”

“I wish I’d thought of that before, but it wouldn’t be fair and I’m more than halfway there.”

“How many applications do you think you’ll have after reading everything?”

“I’m aiming for half, so 40. And I’d really like it to be half station employees and half from the new pool but our station employees are just better writers overall so I don’t know if that will actually happen.”
I went down the hall and got Veronica a coffee and myself a bottle of water from the employee lounge.

“Thanks.” Veronica took her shoes off and put her feet up on her desk, “you know, you should go home. You’ve been here all day.”

“I was about to head out, are you sure you don’t want any help, though?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

I bid Veronica a goodbye and headed home. On the way to the train I got a phone call from Sean.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

“Nothing, just walking home from work.”

“You wanna do something?”

“Like what?”

“I thought I’d pick us up a pizza and some movies. We can watch them at my place, you know, break in my new apartment. I still have that honey.”

“Okay, give me an hour, alright? I need to go home and get out of these clothes and give Murphy his medicine, the poor guy is probably starving, too.”

“I’ll see you then.”

When I got home I fed Murphy and stroked him for awhile. He’s getting his energy back, slowly but surely. The vet said he’ll be like a new cat once he’s done with his medicine, but for now he’s a tired little guy most of the time. Anyway, I’m going to meet Sean now or he’s going to wonder where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment