Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's Address It

I got a phone call from my brother today. When I saw the caller ID I didn’t really want to answer it, but he’s in combat training and I’m not such a bitch that I will refuse a phone call from someone I might not ever see again.

“Hey! I miss you! How are you? How’s the new job?” He was really cheerful and I felt a twinge of guilt for silently being mad about him for the address debacle.

“I miss you too, the new job is pretty sweet. My office is like the Taj Mahal. I have an entire wall of windows.”

“Well you deserve it, anyone who doesn’t hire you are jerks.” I suddenly became suspicious; my brother isn’t the type of person to shower me with compliments.

“What do you want?” I asked incredulously.

“I just have a quick question.”

“Okay….”

“Did you get me that video game and do you like Shannon?”

“One, that was two questions, two I did get you that game but ended up taking it back to the store after I found out that you had an address and hadn’t told any of your family members about it, and three, no I do not like Shannon.” I may have lied a little bit in this part of the conversation….I was going to take the video game back….but I ended up downloading it on to my computer and playing it instead.

“How did you know I had an address?”

“I got an angry, hysterical phone call from mom about it.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Do you think she likes the fact that the only way to know anything about your life is by trolling your facebook page? Do you think I like finding out things like this on facebook?”

“Well, dad knew my address.”

“He didn’t tell anyone else, it seems. Is it too much to ask that I be given contact information for my own family members? What’s next? Are you going to change your phone number so I can find that out on facebook too?”

“I think you need to calm down. Shannon and I are dating-“

“She’s almost ten years older than you and yes, I did know that….facebook’s funny like that isn’t it?”

“Well I like her and I want you to like her.”

“That’s not going to happen.”

“Why not?”

“Because, Justin, when she breaks your heart while you’re on your deployment, I’m going to be the one that sends you cookies and tries to make you feel better so you don’t get distracted and end up doing something stupid. She’ll be gone in a few months just like all the others.”

“I appreciate that you don’t want me to get hurt, but it would mean a lot to me if you would try to like her.”

“She talks down to me like a parent, because she’s ten years older than me and thinks she can, she thinks we’re friends, but I was being polite when she talks to me on IM. And she knows how I’ve felt about your girlfriends in the past, she knows I didn’t like them and she knows my opinion isn’t going to change because she’s suddenly the girlfriend.”

“Can you try, at least?”

“What do you want me to do? She’s on the east coast. Fly out there and have a slumber party?”

My brother sighed and I could tell he was struggling to not come off as incredibly angry even though he was.

“Did you really take the game back?”

“…Maybe.”

“When you finish beating it can you send it to me?”

“…fine.”

He had to go shortly after our conversation and I was struck with a wave of guilt. I think I made him feel bad for not wanting to be friends with Shannon but I can’t help the way I feel. This whole situation is weird. My brother has never cared about my opinion when it comes to his girlfriends, I mean, he always knew I didn’t like them. I’ve called them names to their faces, but this was the first time he actually cared about what I thought. I just can’t support my brother being in a relationship with someone almost ten years older than him, who’s already been married, and doesn’t support the fact that he’s in the military.

Ugh! I’m going to play my video game. I’m a cloud of angry guilt feelings right now. By the way, Sean hasn't called me since our experience at the pizza place.

8 comments:

  1. is this part fiction or non fiction? some days i can't tell lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's because she's so good at writing...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Alicia!

    It's fiction but some things happen to match my life. For example, my brother is in combat training right now, but I don't work in HR like Faith, her life circumstances are very different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Susanna doesn't support the fact that Justin is in the military than this relationship already has a strike against it. Add that to the fact that she is 10 years older than him and has already been married and one has to wonder how long this will last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the relationship will last very long. And the fact the she talks down to Faith is just disrespectufl, because afterall she is her boyfriends sister. If someone who was dating my brother talked to me like that I would not like her either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith needs to pick up the damn phone and call Sean herself. She is making him do everything in the relationship, and if she wants something to change, then she needs to talk to him about it and stop sulking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I agree with Courtney about Faith making Sean to everything in the relationship so far. But, while it's a contradiction, I have to admit that I've always been guilty of leaning in that direction: letting the guy make most of the first moves. Maybe it's because they just DID, and I just let them...I don't know. But, if my friends had let the cat out of the bag about private matters like that, resulting in some awkwardness, I WOULD take it upon myself to initiate communication and get things rolling. Just seems only fair I guess.

    ReplyDelete