Friday, December 28, 2012

Womp Womp


It’s been 4 days and Mike has still not called me.

“Maybe I should call him.” I said staring at my phone sadly.

“Don’t you dare.” Molly said sipping her coffee.

Molly came home last night from visiting her mom for Christmas. I told her what happened with Mike and I and also explained why Zoey was crashing on our couch temporarily until she could find an apartment and move her stuff out of what was now Wesley’s place.

“This is the first time we’ve ever had a big fight.” I said, “What if I’m just being too stubborn. I should call him.”

I went to grab my phone, which was sitting on the coffee table, but Zoey got to it first.

“Faith, you have absolutely NOTHING to apologize for. He needs to call you, especially since he’s the one who wanted space and, ultimately, he’s the one who needs to apologize.”

“But what if he’s just taking the ‘don’t ever call me again’ thing too seriously. I mean, I did say that to him.”

“He’ll call.” Molly said, “They always call.”

“I say just enjoy the temporary single life until he figures out what he wants to do. Boys are dumb and Mike is just one example.”

“The other being Wesley asking you to marry him? Or planning to, anyway?” Molly smirked.

“Of course that was dumb. Just because we’d been dating for awhile doesn’t mean we automatically need to get married.” Zoey was filing her nails.

“Maybe I was in the wrong.” I said, “I mean, even though Maggie was incredibly rude to me she’s his sister. I can’t expect Mike to put me above his family. We haven’t even been dating that long. I should never have opened my mouth and started arguing with her in the first place.”

“Do NOT call him.” Zoey said, “You didn’t give him an ultimatum that put you above his family. And, honestly, Mike should have stood up for you and he should have done it ages ago. If there’s one mistake you made in all of this it was not telling Mike about Maggie’s treatment of you sooner so he could take care of it before it exploded in front of his entire family. But, still, that’s not really your fault either because how do you tell your boyfriend that his sister is being a huge ass when he’s about to bury his mom? There is no easy fix to this, Faith. Accept that’s things are going to be weird and complicated for awhile. And DON’T call him.”

“She’s right.” Molly said tipping her head to Zoey, “Personally, I think you handled yourself with as much tact as possible in such a bizarre and uncomfortable situation. I think Maggie has a ton of issues that have nothing to do with you.”

I was pretty bummed about the whole Christmas Eve fiasco but life had to go on. I was still expected to be at work at the theatre for performances of the holiday show and at Bruno’s for the late shift. Cara and Brad could tell I was upset about something but were kind enough not to pry.

The holiday show will be ending in a few weeks and then my work situation will be up in the air again. This whole freelancing-stage-manager thing is already getting old. I don’t like the stress of having to constantly be looking for my next job. At least Bruno’s is a steady job, even if it is just being a bartender.

No comments:

Post a Comment