Saturday, December 15, 2012

I Love and Miss You


Mike and I arrived to meet his dad at the hospital in 15 minutes. He was waiting for u sin the emergency department’s waiting room.

“Dad what happened!?” Mike said as soon as he saw him.

“Your mom was feeling dizzy…she…she started shaking. I had to call an ambulance.”

We followed him back to Betty’s room where she was laying in a bed hooked up to several monitors.

“Oh, Mikey, you shouldn’t have come! This is so embarrassing…and you brought Faith? Oh, really this is not a big deal. I just got dizzy.”

“Mom, dad says you had a seizure, that is a big deal. And I was with Faith when he called me.”

I sat next to her and held her hand.

“It’s really not an imposition, Betty. I wanted to come, I was worried about you.”

“You’re such a good person, Faith.” She said.

She sounded out of breath and her hair was damp with sweat.

“Has the doctor seen you, yet, mom?”

“Yes, they’re going to send me for a test soon.”

And so we waited. About 30 minutes later a nurse came and wheeled Betty out of the room.

“We’re just going to take her to get an MRI to see what’s causing the dizziness, okay.”

“Wait.” I said coming around to look at Mike’s mom, “Betty are you in pain?”

Betty gave us all a look of helplessness.

“Mom, it’s okay.”

“Sweetheart?” Frank said, “You gotta tell ‘em if you’re in pain baby.”

Betty looked at Frank and nodded slowly.

“Yes. But it’s okay. Don’t fuss over me. I’m sure I’ll feel fine soon. This is really all so unnecessary.”

The nurse said she’d let the doctor know after she dropped her off for the MRI.

We waited in her room for at least two hours. Mike couldn’t stop pacing.

“Hey,” I said, putting my hand on his arm, “Do you want me to go get you some coffee?”

“I’m fine.”

“Frank? Do you want me to get you some coffee?”

He nodded and I headed out to the waiting room where they had a coffee vending machine. When I came back, the doctor was talking to Mike while Frank listened.

“She had another seizure while she was in the MRI machine, we stabilized her but we’re going to do a shorter test to see what’s going on. It won't give us images that are as clear as the MRI but it won't last as long. I’ll keep you updated. It should only take about 30 minutes.”

“Thank you.” Frank said.

Mike nodded in agreement.

“Here, Frank,” I handed him a cup of coffee, “Why don’t you go outside and get some air?” I suggested gently. He nodded and left.

Mike sat down in a chair and nervously wiggled his leg. I sat down next to him and held one of his hands in both of mine.

“She’ll be okay, Mike. They’re taking great care of her.” I said putting my chin on his shoulder.

“Do…do you think I should call my sisters?”

“I don’t know.” I said.

“I should probably wait until we know something. I don’t want to worry them if it really is nothing.”

“Okay.” I said nodding.

We sat together in silence, eventually Frank came back, and, finally, Betty was wheeled back into the room. Frank started crying at the sight of her.

“You gave them a big scare, sweetheart.”

“I didn’t mean to worry anyone.” Betty said.

“She’s a bit woozy from the pain meds we gave her.” The nurse said, “The doctor will be in shortly once the tests have been analyzed.”

Betty fell asleep about five minutes later.

“Dad, do you think we should call the girls?” Mike asked.

“What do you think, Mikey? I don’t know. I don’t think your mom would like that if it turns out to be nothing.”

Mike nodded and the doctor walked in.

“The tests we did on Betty indicate that she has a brain aneurysm and I think the seizures, pain, and dizziness may indicate that she needs emergency brain surgery immediately.”

Mike, Frank, and I weren’t sure what to say. Frank spoke first.

“How long can we wait?” He asked.

“I’ve already called a brain surgeon; he’ll be here in 20 minutes. We need to prep her now.”

Everything after that happened so fast. It’s all a blur. Betty was whisked away while Frank was told about all the risks the surgery entailed and was asked to give consent for the surgery. She woke up long enough to talk to us and for Mike to explain what was happening.

“Mom, you have to have surgery, that’s where they’re taking you right now.”

“Frank…I’m…I’m scared.”

“Me too, sweetheart. I love you.”

“Mikey,” she reached out for his hand and gestured for him to lean closer. I couldn't hear what she said but she looked at me and smiled, “Faith, thank you for being here with me. Knitting you a scarf for Christmas seems so small, now.”

All of us laughed. I hugged her and then she was taken away.

The nurse came in and showed us to the waiting room for surgery. We were there for hours.

“Mike, Frank do you want me to go get you something to eat?”

They both nodded and Mike handed me his keys. He gave me a kiss and I headed out to a Mcdonald’s nearby.

On the way there I got my phone out; it was late but I really needed to make that call.

“Hey, mom. No…everything’s fine, I just wanted to call you and tell you that I miss you and that I love you. No, I promise, I’m fine, I just miss you and dad, that’s all.”

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post brought tears to my eyes. I really hope that she's okay. Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I would have called my mom right away, too. I hope Betty is OK. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching post; Betty seems like a trooper. Also, regarding the last post, Alicia...yeah, you make good points about who the arsonist may or may not be. Can't wait to find out more about that situation.

    ReplyDelete