Monday, August 25, 2014

Start of the Fire

In hindsight, my phone call to Adam was probably one of the more stupid things I’ve ever done and I definitely wasn’t thinking clearly when I did it. I was upset and in shock.

I watched my foot jiggle as I sat in Dr. Sheehan’s office as I tried to explain what had happened.

“So, that was super dumb.” I said.

I had just got done telling her about my phone call to Adam about getting back together.

“Why did you call Adam to begin with?” she asked.

“Um.” That was a more complicated story.

A few days ago I was out running some errands. I had just finished up at the pharmacy and decided to head to the farmer’s market to pick up some produce. I had to pass by a busy thoroughfare lined with restaurants and thought I saw Mike. I was going to wave and go up to him but something seemed off. He was sitting at a table outside a restaurant with a gorgeous blonde woman and it looked like they were having a great time. I stood on the crowded street in complete shock and then somehow made my way back to my apartment. Somehow I found my phone in my hand, dialing Adam’s phone number. But he didn’t answer. A woman’s voice did.

“Adam’s phone.” A smooth female voice said.

“Uh…c-can I speak to Adam, please?”

“He’s in the shower, do you want to leave a message?” She asked.

“I…can you just let him know that I called?”

“Sure, what’s your name?”

“F-faith.”

“Okay, Faith, I’ll let him know that you called!” She said brightly and then hung up.

The dead sound of the phone echoed through my cell phone’s ear piece as I stared forward. I tried to distract myself throughout the day but when Adam called me I panicked. I had almost convinced myself to just lie and make up a reason to call him but everything came out about getting back together and, well, it went terribly and ended with Adam telling me not to bother him again.

I immediately wanted to call him back and apologize but he was just so upset with me (and rightly so) that I couldn’t bring myself to pick up the phone. Now that some time has passed, I think leaving him alone is what’s best for him. I sighed once I finished telling Dr. Sheehan about all of this.

“Adam was right to be angry with me,” I said, “I wish I could just go back and erase what I did.”

Dr. Sheehan surveyed me over her glasses.

“Faith, you’ve spent a lot of time talking about Adam but you haven’t said much about Mike.”

I blinked.

“I…there’s not much to say. He and I aren’t exclusive, he’s allowed to date other women.”

“Okay, Faith, how do you feel about that?”

“What do you mean? I’m fine with it.”

“Are you? Your actions say otherwise.”

I gave her a confused look.

“Faith, you called Adam and asked him to move back here to be with you while you’re currently dating Mike. And you did this immediately after seeing Mike on a date with another woman. It doesn’t sound like you’re fine with him dating someone else to me.”

“Well…when you put it like that…”

“How would you put it?”

“…like that.”

I put my forehead in the palm of my hand and groaned.

“Why am I so stupid all the time?”

“Faith, negative thoughts like that don’t help you change your behavior.”

I took a deep breath.

“I don’t think I’m okay with Mike dating someone else.”

“So, what can you do to solve that issue?”

I sighed.

“Talk to him about my feelings.”

She nodded.

“But what if he doesn’t like what I say? What if he doesn’t want to just date me?”

“You can’t use ‘what ifs’ to justify avoiding a conversation. Mike cares about you, I’m sure he’d want to know what you’re thinking about and how you’re feeling about your relationship with him.”


Dr. Sheehan is right. Mike and I have been seeing each other for over a month, we should be able to have a conversation about our relationship. What I did to Adam was unacceptable and I regret it so much but focusing on the negative side of that isn’t helpful. Maybe this is a good thing in the long run for him? Maybe I managed to piss him off so much that he’ll be able to move on now? I think losing him as a friend was worth it if it means he’ll be happier without me screwing up his life.

22 comments:

  1. After I read the last post, I was really hoping to hear Faith's perspective so I could understand her thoughts. I was hoping to learn something about her that would make me feel some compassion toward her since I really haven't liked her character in a while. But after reading this post, I feel so disappointed. She's so incredibly selfish. She truly doesn't think about anyone but herself. The way she treated Adam was abysmal and while she acknowledges that, she still really is only thinking about herself. I guess one of the previous posters was correct; she really never did care about Adam. I guess the team Mike people will be happy with this post, but I'm finding it very difficult to read about a character who is as self centered as Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. I agree that Faith's actions are all about her wants and not anyone else's needs. Her reliance on hindsight to justify her bad behavior is annoying. Therapy obviously is not working as she continues to make the same mistakes over and over. Thankfully she is a fictional character because I just cannot see how she would not end up alone, without friends, she is very unlikeable.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with your post. I keep waiting for something to happen when I start to feel connected to her story again, but the more I read about her the more I dislike her. She's so self centered and it's really hard to stomach Adam with someone else.

      Delete
  2. This is going to sound so mean, but how much longer is Faith going to keep seeing her therapist? It doesn't seem to be doing her much good. I realize change and progress is a process, but how long has it been? Seriously, how long? It might have only been less than a year. I can't remember. I hope she has insurance that pays for her sessions at least.
    I should have seen a therapist a few years back, but didn't want to end up in a rut, always doing the same thing, always going to the therapist. I didn't want to be able to excuse away my behavior by being all "well, I have a therapist so I'm working on it" (and I'm crazy and didn't want people to think I was there for attention, but that's a whole different thing) Not to undermine people who need a therapist, but I almost feel like Faith is using her's as a reason to get away with her behavior. "I messed up, time to see my therapist again".

    That sid, I still love the writing, my current distaste for the character has nothing to do with the author.

    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with loving the writing! I love the author, but I hate the way Faith's selfdestructive phase has lasted this long. She has been seeing the therapist for years, and it isn't helping much. I think she is using therapy as a crutch and only uses some of the things she learns IF they work in her favor. Please, please, please let this version of Faith be coming to an end. Let her grow up and start facing her problems like an adult rather than a child.

      Delete
  3. What Faith deserves is for Mike to dump her. She's managed to severely hurt two great guys. She doesn't deserve either of them. And with Molly and Zoe sick of her antics, she'll end up alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh every time I'm anxious to read and find out what's going to happen but every time I get disappointed in what is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need Faith to have a semi-permanent coming-to-Jesus moment. She is still so self-unaware, and her character needs a true, clarifying wake-up call. I like everyone in this blog more than her right now, which speaks well of the author for creating a character we are all so opinionated about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO SO SO agree with this post!! I think it's great work by Del in having us so invested in Faith! That's just amazing.
      At the end of the day, this is a story to be entertained by and to learn from (the latter is what I think stories are mostly good for). Anyways, I think we're all learning a lot from this character, at least what not to be like, or trying to think about what we would do in her situation.
      Anyways, I am surprised that Faith could act so immaturely too, but like another commentator said, have we always been mature in our relationships? This got me thinking...
      Best,
      Sandy
      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
  6. Wow, so seeing Mike with someone else was the instigator for her mystifying call to Adam?! I'm surprised Faith would be that self-absorbed; the call was hurtful to someone she was supposed to be deeply in love with. Also, she & Mike only had "the talk" about how they were going to handle dating each other again a mere month ago; that's not very long. She wants to change things between them to exclusive so quickly, just because she saw him with someone else? Since both Faith & Mike seem to agree that what she did back when they were together the first time *was* cheating, he might not be ready to dive back into an exclusive, committed relationship with her after only a month of dating again. That's really very little time. Mike might not be on the same page as Faith at all with her wish for a more serious arrangement; kind of seems like rushing things. Baffled by Faith's reasoning and behavior after this post. Great writing, Del. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Faith still desperately just needs to be with a man; any man. Disappointing. Hopefully the storyline arc starts pushing her in a direction that allows her to be truly okay on her own so she might actually have a chance at a healthy, fulfiilling relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faiths life/story needs some happiness. It's been so sad & frustrating for quite some time now

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a low blow, even for Faith. How could any treat someone they love like she just treated Adam? SMH...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok so we can *all* agree faith calling Adam was stupid and selfish. But she's human!!! I mean I don't necessary agree with what faiths done but I don't think she's a terrible person. Honestly I liked her a lot less with the whole dating brad/aboetion thing. I think she has grown, and learned about her self but it doesn't mean she's perfect. I just can't imagine every person who comments how bad faith is has always done the mature responsible thing in every relationship. I've seen a lot of people do really stupid things when it comes to relationships, and we can't all be the exceptions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think everyone it hating on Faith for this Adam thing alone...I think it's for everything she has done, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. At least it was for me. In my earlier comment, I said she didn't learn much from therapy. She has probably learned more than I realize, but I think she uses it to her advantage in being able to give herself justification for her bad choices. She needs to stop and think about the consequences of her actions BEFORE she acts. I'm guilty of bad choices in the past, but I have learned from them, and I do stop and think now. I know this is fiction, but man, she really needs to grow up and take responsibility for herself.

      Delete
  11. It's not just about making bad choices we all know we all done that it's the constant depressing posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - the posts that relate to Faith are depressing. The thing that frustrates me the most is that last year around the time when she was involved with Brad, we were told we'd see a new Faith (the implication being one who is stronger, less self-centered, makes better decisions, etc.) For a while, it seemed like Faith had matured, but now I'm not seeing that side of her. For me, that makes it really frustrating to care about her. I'd much rather read about how Adam is doing over in Cincinnati. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the author; I'm just stating my opinion.

      Delete
    2. I think this is a fair point. The only explanation I can give you is that I hadn't really figured out where I wanted the blog to go in the long-term a year ago, and I've only recently figured out where I want it to go within the past few months,hence the change.

      -del

      Delete
  12. I just hope Del, that you don't keep Faith at a depressing self observe teenager.... Because that's how she's been acting for awhile and it's very depressing... Let's please make her grow up so she dose not end up alone and start to live a healthy life. On the other hand I love your writeing, keep up the good work =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith will get a "come to Jesus moment" as one reader put it. I won't say when but it'll happen at some point. I know what it'll be and when it'll be and who/what event will cause it but it's still sort of far off. After that though, Faith turns it around, or at least...I hope she does.

      I will say, though, that this "come to Jesus" story line I have planned isn't going to be a popular one AT ALL. So, reading the comments for that should be fun. Faith has to hit rock bottom first and she has a long way to fall.

      -del

      Delete
    2. Ugh why!!!! Start Making Some Bonus Posts Haha We Need It To Come quicker

      Delete
  13. Well, Del (rhymey-rhymey)...in the real world, everyone has his/her ups & downs, right? While it's sometimes a bit baffling to read about *some* of Faith's choices and behavior (they're not always choices & behavior I can personally relate to), I still have a basic affection for her character, and sympathize with much of her inner turmoil. I've always gotten a sense of overall kindness and goodness from Faith, even when she was behaving in self-destructive ways, and even when her actions were hurtful to others. So, combined with the excellent writing and the fact that I like her, I'll put up with Faith's shenanigans for as long as it takes for her to skip (stumble) down the Yellow Brick Road on her way to find the Bluebird of Happiness. (That's a mouthful of symbolisms, isn't it?!). Anyhoo...you get the point. Your blog, your direction; a-ok with me. I'm a captivated audience, including when Faith's skies are more cloudy than blue. It's a good ride.

    Nighty-night, and take care.

    ReplyDelete