Thursday, August 21, 2014

Burned Bridges

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked up to find Serena sitting on the edge of my bed, stretching. She was topless and I admired her bare back before propping myself up.

“Good morning.” I smiled.

“Good morning to you.” She smiled wide and leaned forward to kiss me, “I’m going to make us some coffee, why don’t you go take a shower and I’ll join you in a few minutes.”

She winked at me and I nodded before heading into the bathroom.

I let the water pour over me and thought of the night before. At first, I wasn’t able to stop imagining she was Faith but the second time I barely thought about Faith at all. The softness of Serena’s skin and the sound of her whispers popped into my head and I shivered. After a few minutes, Serena stepped into the shower and wrapped her arms around me. She kissed the back of my neck and shoulders. I turned around and kissed her deeply…

The third time in the shower was even better than the night before and I smiled to myself as I wrapped a towel around my waist. Serena was washing her hair in the shower while I brushed my teeth.

“Hey, while I was making coffee, your phone rang. I answered it and some girl named Faith wanted me to tell you to give her a call.”

I nearly dropped my toothbrush and stared at my reflection in the mirror in front of me with shock splashed across my face.

“Adam?” Serena’s head popped out from behind the shower curtain, “Oh…was that the ex-girlfriend?”

I nodded and stared into the sink. I choked down the mild panic coursing through me and smiled brightly.

“You know what? No big deal.”

Serena looked at me closely before popping back into the shower. I tried to act as normally as possible until she left to go change clothes for work. As she put it, she didn’t want to do the walk of shame into the office this morning wearing the same clothes from the day before. I couldn’t blame her.

We walked to work together and I spent the day trying to focus on my work. Internally, though, I was debating on whether or not I should call Faith. But what if something serious had happened and that was why she was calling me? I put the thought out of my mind so I could get through work and I was so productive that I actually ended up leaving about a half an hour early because I’d gotten everything done.

I walked home, alone, and debated the entire way on what to do. I decided to call her back but I wanted to wait until I was in my apartment and ready for whatever she had to say. I paced in my kitchen and stared at my phone before dialing it and waiting for her to answer.

“Hi.” She said quietly.

“Hi…I got your message. You wanted me to call you? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah….everything’s fine. I just…I thought we could talk, um, about us.”

My stomach flipped. I wasn’t sure I’d heard her right.

“Um. Okay?” I couldn’t think of a better response.

“This morning a woman answered your phone.”

“…right.”

“Well…are…are you dating again?”

My eyes narrowed at her question and I wasn’t liking where this was headed.

“That woman…are you….is she…”

“Faith, why did you call?” I asked tiredly.

“I thought we could talk about getting back together. I thought that if you moved back here we could-”

“What?” I reeled.

“I’ve been thinking about the night you came to see me and the night we broke up. You said that you would have given up the job if I asked you to so I thought we could talk about you moving back here.”

“No.” I responded quickly. It was a gut reaction and it surprised me. What she was proposing was what I'd wanted for months, but something wasn't right about this and I responded fast.

She was silent on the other end of the line.

“Are you still dating Mike?” I asked.

“Yes. But we’re not exclusive, so I could-”

“What just date both of us?” I asked, “Because dating one person isn’t complicated enough for you?”

I knew I was being harsh but I was angry. She didn’t say anything for a couple of moments.

“I thought this was something you wanted…that you would be open to…”

“What? I’d be willing to uproot my entire life here to move there and be your side piece?”

“That’s not what I mea-”

“How else was that supposed to come off, Faith? You want me to move back there for you….to be with you while you date the ex-boyfriend you were crazy in love with? What the HELL?”

“Adam, it’s not like that, I just-”

“It is like that, Faith! How can you not see that? Do you not realize that the people you have relationships with have feelings? You can’t just choose two guys and put off having to actually choose because it’s easier for you.”

“I know that but-”

“So, then, if you know that and are taking my feelings and his into account, I’m sure you’ve consulted him about this arrangement you’re trying to set up?”

“Well, no, but-”

I scoffed and cut her off. I couldn’t believe she was proposing this to me. It was insulting, to be honest. To think that I would be willing to quit my job and move back there to be with her when she was still with someone else was just…I respect myself too much to do that. I deserve to be in a relationship with someone who wants to commit to me and I don’t know what Faith is doing or why but I know that I deserve better than being someone’s third wheel. I couldn’t hold back my anger from her.

“Okay, well, since you can’t seem to just let me go and live my life here without dragging me into your shit all over again, I’ll make this decision really easy for you. We’re done, Faith. I’m over this back and forth bullshit. You had your chance to talk about all of this weeks before I left. You had your chance to talk about all of this when I came to see you. You missed your chance, Faith. Don’t call me. Don’t ask Molly how I am. Go be with Mike and forget about me.”

I hung up on her and realized I was breathing fast and shaking. I waited a few minutes but she never called back and I felt this enormous sense of relief because of that…and then followed by guilt. I never thought it would have been so easy to cut one of my best friends and the love of my life out of my world. I was pulled out of my thoughts by a knock on the door and found Serena standing in my hallway with a bottle of wine, wearing a plum-colored wrap dress.

“Um, hey.” I said letting her in.

“I thought we could get drunk and have sex.” She said holding the wine up and laughing.

Her face turned serious when she looked at me though.

“Jesus, are you okay? You look sick.” She put the bottle down on my end table and put her arm around me.

“I’m…I’m okay. I just got off the phone with Faith.”

“Oh…the ex-girlfriend. It didn’t go well, did it?” She led me to the couch and we sat down.

“You could say that.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” She asked hesitantly.

I looked at her and it felt like I was seeing her for the first time. Her red hair cascaded over her shoulder and her eyes were so clear and full of genuine concern.

“No.” I shook my head and pulled her into a hard kiss.

50 comments:

  1. Faith is a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another not faith post? You said it would be one a week and that's two in a row. Come on. This is supposed to be a blog from Faiths POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never said that there would only be one a week. I said that was the way it had been over the past three weeks in a reply to a comment on the last post. Which is true.

      Since I started writing the blog this way, I've maintained a 1:1 ratio of Faith posts and other people's posts, regardless of how many different posts have been done in a row. I'm sorry if you don't like the different points of view, that's certainly a valid opinion for you to have but I'm not really under any obligation to write this blog a certain way if I don't want to.

      -del

      Delete
    2. I for one LOVE Adam's point of view, and hope there are many more in the future!

      Delete
    3. Me too!! loving it :)

      Delete
    4. Me too.

      Someone please give Faith a reality check. Honestly, when I was reading hers and Adams convo, I was getting angry and thinking... You crazy, crazy b!tch!
      That sounds bad, but I can't believe she did that. Horrible!

      Delete
  3. Ugh! I like Serena less now. She seems cool, but I hate it when the hot girlfriend is a redhead. Lol I have issues. And I like the different perspectives this week.

    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the different points of view. In fact, I much prefer reading about Adam's life because I don't like Faith's character anymore. She's really unstable and it's difficult to find any compassion for her. It seemed like she had matured after she went through the whole ordeal with Brad and having an abortion, but she really hasn't changed at all. It's become very frustrating to read about her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! I so wanted her to be with Mike & be happy but I see that she's just as unstable & inconsistent as before which is annoying & sad

      Delete
    2. I agree too!!! This post was much better than any of the one's from Faith's POV in a long time.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. Maybe I just need to hear Faith's side of it, but this just seemed out of left field. We've seen her go off the rails a bit in the past, but this seems out of character, even for her. Is that just me?

    Can't wait to hear what Faith has to say about this... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same thing!!! The next post has to be from faiths Pov & what led up to this phone call. And something seriously wrong had to happen. I can't believe after everything she would up and call adam out of the blue.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same thing! Where did that phone call come from? She doesn't deserve either of them at this point.

      Delete
    3. Agreed! This is a whole new level of nuts do Faith. What guy in their right mind would move to casually date someone. I get why Adam was pissed.
      -Nicole M.

      Delete
    4. It really doesn't matter what her side is...she told him to move on, she already has, and now she's making the most selfish demands. Adam moves back....she starts dating two guys and then ends up picking mike so she can try to make up for cheating on him. Faith has become extremely unlikable.

      Delete
    5. No way, I'm so with you! Faith is pretty crazy when it comes to relationships but this seems totally unprovoked and way out there.

      Delete
    6. Yup same here.

      After reading this post I'm like wtf faith?! She's been a mess before but this is too weird.
      I like the different pov's but this doesn't seem right, need faith's pov.

      Delete
  6. Ugh. I HATE Serena...she spent the night once and felt like it was okay to answer his phone?! And what is Faiths deal?! Asking him to move back?! I REALLY want them back together because it's getting hard to read about them with other people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Faith IS such a hot mess right now. She needs to stop messing things up! Good lord.

      Delete
    2. I agree with BCR. I really can't wait to hear how she cleans up this mess and gets her thoughts back together. Next one. If it's from her POV maybe we'll get some answers!

      Www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
  7. I really liked Adam in this post. Faith is getting tough love all around. It might be enough to make her crack, big time. Kind of scary. mum

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS, I'm really hoping for Faith and Mike POV's next week...hint hint, Del ;)

    PPS, please realize earlier I wasn't trying to be critical of your writing in any way...it's great! I just wish I understood where Faith's head was at right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even want adam and faith together but I get a bad vibe from selena...like amber vibe. Plus I'm just not a fan of the behavior she exhibiting right now. I think there's somewhere for adam but I hope she's not it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who answers the phone of someone that a) they've known for one day and b) is only having sex with. Plus she had to have sen faiths name on the phone when she was calling even if she didn't know that faith was the ex it's still kind of creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed this post, and even more so, I'm really enjoying the different POVs! To play devil's advocate, I'm getting the feeling that Faith made that phone call on purpose, to get Adam to finally let her go. He's so nice and sweet, that he was always going to hang on to the hopes of them getting back together. In order for him to really let go and give this new city a chance, HE would have to be the one to say he's done and throw in the towel. What better way to get him to do that than make some ridiculous proposition like she did? I could be way off base here, but something just seemed off about that whole conversation. Can't wait until next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope this is what happens. Faith is killing me! I want to slap her and tell her to grow the @#$% up!

      Delete
  12. I don't think Faith is that messed up.
    How do you think you would feel if the man you are in love with and thought you were spending came home and told you he is moving 4 hours away and just assumes that you will move with him or do the long distance thing? Am I the only one who thought Faith made the right decision?? Maybe it's my independence, but this wouldn't have cut it with me either. That being said- this also wasn't a relationship that met a natural end. Both characters are both very much in live with each other. There is bound to be going back and forth and doubt in their decisions as they make their way. Faith was moving on with Mike and not being selfish. She told Mike she was working on a broken heart and wanted to move slow. He entered the union knowing where her head was at. Adam- being selfish- showed up unannounced and told Faith he wanted her back. He is the one that started this back and forth stuff, instead of respecting Faith's choice to not do long distance. HE is the one who chose to take his dream job and there is no shame in that. But there is also no shame in Faith wanting to stay at her dream job and knowing that her and Adam were at a impasse... I say good for Faith- she knows what she wants for herself and is sticking to it ( albeit she had a moment of weakness asking Adam to come back- but when you are in this situation- it is bound to happen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith is the furthest thing from a grown-up. She waited until the day before Adam was leaving to break-up with him. She didn't even talk to him about an alternative. She plays so many games with the people who care about her. It is just very immature and disappointing. She doesn't even know where her head is at. That is evident in previous posts where she says she knows she is still in love with Adam, she knows she can be a better person for Mike, etc. What sane person does that?

      Delete
  13. I agree with the commenters who remarked that Faith's bizarre phone call to Adam was her way of nudging him into making a clean break with her - for *his* own good. Unless she's seriously losing it, it's hard to imagine her being so utterly selfish and self-serving. *Anyone* would feel insulted and belittled hearing a proposition like that; she had to know Adam would nix the idea and react with finality. *Unless* something really drastic happened in her world, I can't see Faith's basically kind-hearted personality do something so out-of-character. Not sure about Serena, other than she's very outgoing and confident, or she's irritatingly nervy. Seriously, who answers the phone of someone they are *just* getting to know, for any reason? Really wondering what her deal is; Adam sure seems to be enjoying the company, though. *Love-love-love* everything you're doing with your blog, Del; per usual, the storyline and character development are terrific. So enjoyable to read. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Faith found out she was pregnant... hey it has happened before... and that is the motivation behind the call?

      Delete
    2. Now *that* would be some serious drama, wouldn't it?! Hmm...possibilities.
      Take care.

      Delete
  14. Faith's suggestion is so absurd that I'm starting to think she might have something wrong with her. A rational person wouldn't suggest something like this. Maybe she has a mental illness or something else physically wrong with her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Serena...she has guts and I think that is what Adam needs in his life. She is an equal to him. No babysitting needed which is what I feel like he was always doing with Faith. I love here from Adam and Molly's POV. Faith is sooooooo whiny lately. Its refreshing to hear from adults.

    As far as the phone thing goes, I don't care if someone answers mine phone. I assumed she didn't give it a second thought. I didn't when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't mind if someone who didn't know you answered your phone? I would not be okay with that.

      I get that he needs to sleep with her to get over faith but I really don't want them to become a couple. I don't think she'd be very likable.

      Delete
    2. I get that there are a lot of people who are very serious about their phones, but I am not one of them. To me, its a phone. Nothing to get worked up over. IMO, if I know someone enough to have sex with them, they can surely answer my phone.

      Delete
  16. Faith doesn't want adam, not really...she just doesn't want anyone else to have him either. She wants him to pine for her forever and be there as a backup she'll never really want. I feel like it's always been this way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So that phone call was weird. I get that we all do some crazy things we tend to regret, but she is taking it to a whole new level. And whilst I love how realistic the blog gets, all the negativity in Faith's life is draining. So thank you for these other perspectives; they're a respite from her hectic life. And whilst I do hope Adam and Faith get back together, can't wait to see how his life progresses away from her. Great writing as always Del :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm frustrated, ever since you killed off one of her best friends almost every post has just left sad. I know everyone will just say don't read it, but I was invested in faiths character and just hoped things would start picking up. My opinion I hate that Adam and her broke up, hate that she is seeing mike (and using) hate that Adam is sleeping Serena and I hate that she called him and pushed him further away. Yep telling you how I really feel haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but what if the phone call wasn't really from Faith? What if the phone call was from someone who knew about the situation, was trying to offer a helping hand (as jacked up as that would be), and pretended to be Faith in order to get Adam to do what they (the "helping" friend) thought Faith might want Adam to do, but was too messed up to say/do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think faith just permanently burnt her bridge with adam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think faith and Adam will end up together in the long run bc we've ears his point of view. Since we have not heard mikes, I think his character is minual and will be replaced

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually don't post comments, but I have to say I had a college roommate that Faith has always reminded me of and I can totally see her making a random psycho call like that. Maybe the first call was not going to go that way but once another woman answered it flipped Faith's psycho switch to on.
    I don't like that Serena is so bold but let's face it Adam needed someone to be bold because he would not initiate anything like this by himself with the funk he's been in. I don't see him and Serena long term but just long enough to get Adam back to normal and over Faith. I would rather follow his story for awhile instead of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Remember back in the day you use to have bonus post:) please please please please I really need to know what going to happen!! Please let her get back with Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I originally commented that this seemed out of character & that's still true, but I re read it and Serena seems a little dose of her own crazy. I wonder if Serena said something to faith to make her think adam would come back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...basically Serena set faith up to crash and burn so adam would get over her. Just a thought...

      Delete
    2. I didn't think about that but I get you're right. I'm getting a crazy vibe from Serena.

      Delete
  25. I like that he put her in his place but seriously.......who answers someone's phone when they JUST met them. That is totally creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really feel bad. I mean faith is being so immature and selfish. She needs to grow up.

    ReplyDelete