Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cut!

Adam’s kisses sent a spark through me and made me see fireworks. I realized just how much I missed him and it was painful. But not as painful as what happened next.

I felt Adam’s hands resting on my hips under my shirt, pulling me into him and god I wanted this to happen so, so badly but I came to my senses and gently pushed him away.

“We…I…I can’t do this.” I said.

We were both panting and he looked at me with sadness painted across his face.

“It doesn’t have to be over.” He pleaded, “We can start over, you can-”

I swallowed hard and cut him off.

“With you living in Ohio and me living here?”

He nodded.

“Then, no. I’m seeing where things go with Mike now. I…I want to be with him, Adam. We both deserve to move on.”

He pulled away from me and looked hurt all over again. He backed away from me and I saw his shoulders collapse in defeat. He knew it was over, really and truly. We stood there in silence for a long time on opposite sides of his foyer. Adam slid down the wall he was leaning against and I did the same against the opposite wall.

“I miss you. I miss my friend.” He said quietly.

“I miss you, too.” I said sadly.

“So this is it?” He looked up at me.

“It doesn’t have to be. We can try being friends like before…but I think both of us need to have a little more time before we try that. And you deserve to let yourself build a life in Cincinnati, Adam. You need to go build a life there.”

He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and shook his head. I slid over to him and pulled him in to a hug.

“You need to let me go, Adam. It’s okay. You should go back to Ohio and make new friends and meet someone new.”

“Why? You haven’t.” He pointed out.

I opened my mouth to respond but he had a point. I hadn’t move on, either, as much as I’d tried to convince myself I had. Mike wasn’t a new person in my life, I had made no new friends. Before Sarah’s phone call I had passed the time by being sad, working, and pretending I was fine.

“Well, then, let’s just make a promise to each other…”

Adam eyed me.

“Let’s both agree to try as hard as we can to move on. So that one day, when enough time has passed, we’ll be able to be friends again.”

He stared at me unconvinced.

“Look,” I took his hand, “Adam, our relationship may not have worked out, but I think the friendship we had was really special and I’m willing to revisit that…but once we’ve both had some time and space away from the failure of our romantic relationship.”

He rubbed the top of my hand with his thumb and sighed sadly. I sat next to him and put my head against the wall. We were a sad sight, sitting next to each other in his foyer. We both stared straight ahead.

“What we had was good, right? I’m not just imagining that?” He said still staring at the opposite wall.

“It was.” I said smiling, “I think it was the happiest I’ve been in a really long time.”

“We knew breaking up was a possibility when we started this thing. You were so concerned about what it would do to our friendship and you warned me but I…I was so stupid.”

“No, you weren’t.” I said looking at him, “Adam, being with you will never be something I look back on with regret. I mean that. You were right when you told me that I couldn’t let fear of losing our friendship get in the way of falling in love with you because it was so worth it.”

I felt a tear slip out and Adam wiped it away and smiled at me.

“It would’ve been nice if we could’ve had sex one more time.” He joked.

We both laughed.

“Don’t I know it.” I giggled.

“I was pretty good, huh?” He waggled his eyebrows at me.

“Better than ‘pretty good’.” I said seriously.

“Well, then how about one last time?”

“Not happening.” I said getting up and rolling my eyes.

I walked towards his door and he followed me. He opened it and we just stood there for a moment. He leaned forward and kissed me one last time. It was soft and sweet and for the briefest second I felt like I was making a mistake by essentially saying ‘no’ to restarting our relationship, but it passed and we pulled apart.

“Good bye, Adam. I hope Cincinnati is good to you.”

I turned and left his apartment.




(As a thanks for all the birthday wishes from yesterday....SURPRISE POST! -del)

21 comments:

  1. YES!! I want her with Mike! He's the guy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the surprise post! Thanks Del.

    BUT so disappointed that she ended things with Adam. He's perfect for her. So sad. I wonder if she's going to end things with Mike too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't quite expecting her to so that! Not that it matters, but was Adam only in town to see her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I was expecting something that would lead to lots of regret. I liked it though.

    thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything Faith does with Adam seems to be so much better handled than with anyone else. She just makes better choices when he's around. And I think Adam *was* there just to see Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. All of her Adam related decisions are smart.

      Delete
  6. Happy belated, Del. I'm pleasantly surprised in Faith. Maybe there's hope after all! mum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam is the best thing for Faith. Her being scared of long distance is LAME.

    Mike will always be second best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree. If there was an end date to the long distance relationship, I would support trying it. But, no one should be in a long distance relationship that can go on forever.

      Delete
    2. That's the thing I don't thonk it would have been forever at some point someone would have had to make a decision when the time came. She just truly never tried it or wanted to try it. She is a runner.

      Delete
  8. I almost just wish she would pack up & start over, too! Not necessarily with Adam, but just get a fresh start! I'm glad she was grown up with him, she handled it perfectly for the situation.
    :) hope you had a great birthday!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many people said she should get a fresh start. She has had so many "fresh starts" and they all end up the same. She and Mike are good together. With Adam there is always going to be his family to contend with. They will never accept her. Mike's family, well sister, was difficult but I'm sure in time they can overcome that.

    Happy Birthday Del. Thanks for always keeping us readers on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed, Joangle. I actually like Mike for her.

      The fact that she makes good decisions around Adam (which other commentators suggested), well hopefully she'll learn to make them alone. This is what growing up is about!

      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
  10. So sad for Adam but happy that there's still hope for Mike. #TeamMike

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so bummed thinking about Faith cheating on Mike that I forgot to wish you a happy birthday. So, happy belated! And way to go Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad she nipped that in the butt! But there is still the issue of not being forthcoming with Mike about her and Adam. But I hope she doesn't try and hide it. She's turned a new leaf and I hope she's honest with Mike....He deserves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand why everyone thinks Mike is so good for her. He didn't stand up for her when she needed him too. He pushed her away. Did she make a huge mistake by sleeping with someone else before they were officially broken up, yes. But imo, his betrayal was just as bad. Adam never betrayed her. He was always so supportive. I am sad she broke his heart, but I think he is better off if she doesn't love him enough to even try. He deserves better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely. I think she should just be alone. Even though I did like Mike that relationship to me doesn't make sense now. I feel she needs someone who wiill be with her when it's hard and don't get gone when it becomes hard or difficult things happen to them. She needs to be single and make better decisions for her life.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday, Del! Sad about Adam but excited to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Faith is pissing me off, I hate it when stories and movies do the stupid break up for only one reason while everyone watching from the sidelines knows if you're really in love you'll make it work. I never felt her and mike and now she's just using him as a distraction. Faith is always a wo is me person always having to move on and restart whether romantic or friendships. Hoping she'll stop and realize who she loves and let it happen

    ReplyDelete