Monday, August 11, 2014

Dished

“So, Faith, how was your date with Mike?” Zoey asked me.

We were having our weekly brunch meet-up and I’d only just had my breakfast pancake platter put down in front of me before Zoey completely caught me off guard. I’d invited Penny (with Zoey’s blessing) to join us and there were several reasons why Zoey’s topic of choice was an issue: I hadn’t told anyone but Molly that Mike and I had reconnected, considering what happened with Adam, I didn’t want Penny to hear about this…assuming she already didn’t know. I also wasn’t sure I wanted to gush about Mike to my friends and have Penny tell Adam about it. Rubbing all of this in his face would just be too cruel. And finally, I hadn’t told any of them about Adam’s surprise visit and didn’t plan on telling them about it.


“Um…how do you know that?” I asked her while giving Molly a dirty look.

“I didn’t realize it was a secret.” Molly shrugged innocently.

“I…it was fine.” I said placidly.

Zoey looked at me unsatisfied.

“Oh, come on,” she said, “you’ve always wanted a second chance with Mike and all you’ll say about your last date with him was that it was fine?”

“Who’s Mike?” Penny asked while nonchalantly popping a forkful of egg into her mouth.

She was playing it cool but I saw her look disappointed for the briefest moment at the mention of me going on a date with someone who wasn’t Adam.

“He’s an ex-boyfriend I dated awhile ago. I did something really stupid and we broke up.” I said giving her the short version and frowning.

“So, did you get him into bed? I know it took you forever to sex that man up last time you dated.” Zoey was the only one excited about this conversation at the table and was completely oblivious to that fact, apparently.

“I…no. We made dinner together and then he left.”

“That’s it?” Zoey asked.

“Yeah.”

“Is it?” Molly piped in, “Adam didn’t show up half way through your date with Mike?”

How in the fuck did she know that? I seethed inside but cleared my throat.

“What?” Penny was shocked.

“He did.” I conceded, “But he left almost immediately.”

“What did he say?” Zoey asked.

“He was angry with me because while we were in the hallway together, Mike came outside to see what was going on. He realized I was on a date and he left.”

Zoey and Penny were shell-shocked, Molly crossed her arms and listened with an amused look on her face.

“And then you just continued your date with Mike like nothing happened?” Penny asked.

“No…I mean, kind of? Mike and Adam aren’t on the best of terms on a good day I didn’t want to explain to Mike that oh, by the way, the guy that showed up during our date is the same guy I just ended a serious relationship with who came back to convince me to get back together. So I told him that Adam and I just had to talk about some job search stuff. We ate dinner and then he left.”

“Wow.” Zoey sat back in the booth, “So, you haven’t heard from Adam at all since he left?”

I looked at all three of them, clearly uncomfortable, but the can of worms had been opened. I sighed.

“Not exactly. I went to his apartment and we had a fight. Ultimately I think it was good. We were able to clear the air between us and get some closure.”

“So, that’s it? You guys fought and then you just left?” Zoey asked.

“Yeah.”

I shifted in my seat.

“No…something else happened, didn’t it?” Zoey asked.

“I…no. I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh my god, Faith! You had sex with him didn’t you!?” Zoey said.

Penny’s face brightened when she looked at me and Molly sat in stoic silence.

“I did not have sex with him.” I said.

“You TOTALLY had sex with him! Oh my god, Faith!” Zoey was practically bouncing in her seat.

“Guys…we didn’t have sex. We just kissed.”

All of us were quiet for a second.

“So…you’re cheating on Mike again?” Zoey broke the silence.

“What? No!” I said, “Mike and I are just dating. We aren’t exclusive. For all I know he could be dating someone else, too.”

“Wait, ‘too’? So you and Adam are dating again?” Penny asked hopefully.

“No. We’re over. Completely over.” I said.

Penny deflated slightly.

“Look, can we not talk about this anymore?” I asked, “I’m over it.”

The truth was that I had been going back and forth in my head wondering if I’d made the right decision essentially picking Mike over Adam and I had doubts. I didn’t want them to weigh in on what they thought I should do because I was so confused already. I just wanted to deal with this alone for a bit. And I didn’t want to go into too much detail about what had happened with Adam because it just felt private. We were both really vulnerable that night and it felt wrong to bring other people into it.

We moved on to different topics and eventually said our good byes. I even held in my anger with Molly until we got back home.

“What THE HELL, Molly!?” I rounded on her as soon as the front door was closed.

“What?” She asked innocently.

“How did you know Adam showed up during my date? You weren’t even here that night!”

“Calm down, Faith, I could just tell, okay?”

“Bullshit.” I spat, “How did you actually know?”

She sighed.

“Adam told me.”

I had to do a double-take. I was confused, at first, but then angry.

“Adam…? What do you mean Adam told you?”

“We text sometimes. We’re friendly. I didn’t realize when you broke up with someone we couldn’t be friends anymore. What is this? High school?”

I was flabbergasted.

“Molly, did you know he was coming to see me?”

“No, I didn’t.”

 I didn’t believe her. I crossed my arms and stared at her angrily until she filled the silence.

“I…didn’t know, Faith, but I thought it might be a possibility.”

“What the fuck, Molly!? And you couldn’t have clued me in? You couldn’t have told him not to!?”

“Told him not to? Faith, I encouraged him to.”

“Why would you do that?” I asked sadly, “Do you have any idea how much it hurt him to see me on a date with Mike?”

She sighed and looked at me knowing I wasn’t going to like the words that came out of her mouth next.

“When I found out that you and Mike were back together I told Adam hoping he would come back and…”

“What? Sweep me off my feet?”

“Well, when you say it like that it sounds pretty stupid.”

“That’s because it IS.” I was so angry with Molly.

I often appreciate Molly’s opinions and advice when I don’t ask for it (although recently that’s changed, I’ll admit) because she always gives me a kick in the ass to make better decisions but this…this just crossed a line. This involved Adam and caused him (both of us, really) more pain than necessary all because she thought she knew better.

“I cannot believe you.” I said.

I was at a loss for words.

“I know it wasn’t the greatest plan but-”

“But what? Molly the only thing you succeeded in doing here was make sure Adam was hurt again. And that I was the one to do it…again.”

She looked down at the floor sadly.

“Did he tell you what we talked about when I was at his apartment?”

She shook her head.

“I basically had to tell him that I was choosing Mike over him.”

“Well you could’ve chosen Ad-”

I held up my hand to stop her and closed my eyes angrily.

“Molly, you put me in a position where I either hurt Adam or I hurt Mike. YOU did that.”

“I’m sorry, Faith, but I think you’re making a mistake.”

I was just done at that point.

“I don’t care!” I yelled, “If you think I’m making a mistake, then fine! But I do NOT have to justify my choice again. You crossed a line, here, Molly. I’m not choosing Adam. He doesn’t live here! He doesn’t deserve such a terrible girlfriend! I am a mess and Adam doesn’t need me in his life even if I am still in love with him!”

“So, after saying all that you’re going to continue on with Mike?”

“I…yes.” I said tiredly.

I was sick of fighting. Getting a second chance with Mike was a one-time deal. The timing sucked but I couldn’t walk away from it. Not when I had hoped for a second chance with him for so long. She didn’t understand. I can be a better person for Mike. I’ve hurt Adam too many times to go through this again. Molly stared at me with an unreadable expression.

“Whatever.” She said quietly, “I’m sorry for what I did.”

“You should apologize to Adam.” I spat.

“Don’t worry, I will.”

20 comments:

  1. Faith's thoughts and actions don't make any sense to me. In reality, when you're in love with someone, you do what it takes to make a relationship work. Sure, she could get hurt if she tried the lost distance thing and it didn't work out. But, she's hurting now, so I don't see what the difference is. I also didn't understand the comment when she says Adam didn't deserve such a terrible girlfriend. How was she a terrible girlfriend to him (other than breaking up with him at the last minute)? This doesn't jive for me. I understand her thoughts on getting a second chance with Mike, but you can't make yourself fall in love with someone when you're in love with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith hasn't been very likable here lately... I feel like she's going to hurt Mike badly, maybe worse than the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the fact that is hurting Adam, eventually going to hurt Mike, what about how much she is hurting herself? Seriously, Faith is on a downward spiral. She will never be happy with Mike because if she has to make herself believe she could be a better person for him, she is already setting herself up for a fall. Why would she even consider it healthy to try to live up to someone else's expectations? She is in love with someone else, hello, red flag. How close is she to a complete emotional breakdown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes a lot of sense and it makes me wonder if she's so gung-ho about a second chance with Mike because she loves him and genuinely wants to try to be with him romantically or if she's just trying to make up for her previous mistake when she cheated on him (which wouldn't have happened if their relationship had been healthy, btw). I wonder if she'll ever get to a point where she isn't so....scared.

      Delete
  4. I guess I'm the only one who thinks Molly is totally in the wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly is trying to save her from herself because half of what Faith is saying don't make sense. If you have to try to be a better person for someone then they aren't the one for you. But honestly if I was Molly I would leave her alone and let that relationship fail on its own. She has to learn that lesson on her own. I agree with Molly I am not sure if I agree with her tactic though. I think this second chance thing is that, Faith needs to prove something to herself, I don't think she wants the second chance because she is in love with Mike.

      Delete
    2. Nope you're not the only one. Molly is getting on my nerves. She is a huge buttinsky. I have never had friends that would interfere in my personal life to this degree....granted, I've never made choices like Faith (come on girl, get it together!), but still. I'm sorry, but I don't think she is being a good friend at all! Part of life is figuring stuff out for ourselves, you know, those wonderful things they call life lessons. Molly needs to mind her own for a bit.

      Delete
  5. No Babsiegirl, you are not the only one. What Molly did was HORRIBLE. If this were me, we would no longer be friends. Your friends are supposed to help you, not go out of their way to hurt you. Faith will find her way to where she needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't go out of her way to hurt her she went to HELP her. Faith is a mess and she knowsbit. I think she thought if Adam came back it would have been a romantic gesture but it backfired that is all. Molly just tells faith the truth whether she wants to hear it or not that is what friends do.

      Delete
  6. I think molly and faith were both really unlikable in this post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly both Mike and Adam deserves better than this. Faith is a hot mess and needs to get her head examined. You know this isn't the right time so why force it. Why can't she jsut say can I get a second chance to be your friend then see where it goes or not. She is always rushing into something head first without thinking it through. She only got hetself to blame when it all comes crashing down on her.
    -Delea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dani LeAnna must be a Molly fan. Molly was totally in the wrong. She crossed a few lines. I'd definitely reconsider that friendship

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think Faith is making a mistake by shutting the door on her & Adam; not sure about Mike...I'm probably biased against that possibility because I didn't like how he handled himself at the end of their last go-round. Soooo...we'll see about *that*. Molly, though - Faith needs to get her to back out of her personal business STAT. I've liked Molly's no b.s. style with Faith in the past when she (Faith) really needed it, (like when she was acting totally self-destructive), but bringing their other friends into her *private business* is so wrong. Talking behind Faith's back to Zoey about something she had no right to blab about was completely out of line; impressed with Faith's self-control at the breakfast ambush. Also, while Faith can't tell Molly who to be friends with, I'd feel invaded if my roommate was texting my ex and using that connection against me to orchestrate events in my personal life. That kind of nonsense is a deal-breaker in friendship. Surprised at Molly's bitchy interference; I'd be livid if I were Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Molly handled the situation correctly, but honestly, Faith is not listening to anyone. Her go to line is "I don't have to justify......" insert which ever self-destructive behavior you want. I don't necessarily think that Molly was talking behind anyone's back. I think that she is concerned with Faith's behavior and wanted her to see how if she feels awful that her friends know what is happening, shouldn't she re-think her actions?? Molly just went about it the wrong way. However, Faith is really messed up and it doesn't matter who would try to talk to her, she is on self-destruct mode.....

      Delete
    2. Mmmm...well, it's all up for personal interpretation, of course. But, I don't know anyone who feels she/he has to "justify" decisions regarding her/his *personal* life to anyone - let alone to close friends. The way I see it, Faith isn't *necessarily* being "self-destructive"; she seems to honestly feel that she's doing what's best for both herself and Adam. She's said several times that she really doesn't think a long-distance situation would suit her, and, following that, since she wouldn't be happy with her own life, then how could she possibly be a good partner for Adam? This is how she's thinking. Maybe she's right, maybe she's wrong, but it's *her* call to make. One thing, though: Faith has a point about there not being an end in sight for her and Adam living apart; she'd pointed out that had Adam given *some* type of target to shoot for, then maybe she'd feel better about trying long-distance. I think that's why Adam isn't bitter and angry with Faith - just sad: he knows she's being accurate about that detail. So, who are Faith's friends to say she's "wrong" regarding how she truly feels? Love is a subjective concept...there's often not a definitive "right" or "wrong". And, I don't see Faith being self-destructive here - unless Del knows something that we're not privy to yet. We'll see. Faith just seems sadly resigned; sometimes, that's the way romance goes, unfortunately. None of what's gone on gives Molly any right to insert herself in Faith's private life so aggressively. Between this post and the recent one from Molly's pov with her boyfriend (Calvin?)...I think the real issue here is Molly's apparent need to control; she seems to be of that personality type. An overbearing friend like that is *not* one I'd want trying to "help" me with personal issues. I just don't see how Faith has done anything that warrants interference with her romantic life. Molly doesn't necessarily know what's best for the players in this drama; she just thinks she does. That's kind of an arrogant view point, in my opinion.

      Delete
    3. It is up for personal interpretation, but just Faith's statements of "I am a mess and Adam doesn't need me in his life even if I am still in love with him", and "I can be a better person for Mike" seems pretty self destructive. I would be pretty concerned as a friend if I saw someone I really cared about acting like this. It is almost like Faith needs to self-punish herself. She knows that there is a problem, but she is just refusing to address it. Maybe she is not ready to do that, but the longer she waits, the more fall-out will happen.

      Delete
    4. Of course she's feeling like a mess: she just broke up with a guy she loves and who means a lot to her; *anybody* would be feeling that way. If Faith *weren't* expressing her sad emotions this way, it would seem like she's avoiding her sorrow over the breakup; some might even accuse her of being cold or superficial. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that, in the end, her decision is a bad one, or that she's unstable or self-destructive. Faith thinks it would be futile to keep long-distance going, when there is no hint of an end to that arrangement in site. She's brought this point up to Adam more than once; he couldn't disagree with her about the validity of her concern. About Faith's belief regarding Adam not needing her in his life, I read it as her figuring that since she's not all-in about long-distance, it would only have a negative impact on him if they were to try and limp along like that. Faith is trying to consider what is best for *both* of them. So, she's sad - but resolved. That doesn't seem self-destructive to me - just realistic. These are my impressions - unless Del has other things in mind about Faith's emotional/mental state that we don't know about yet (always a possibility, admittedly). And, Molly's character in the last couple of posts has been distastefully presumptuous regarding her belief (and her resulting actions) that *she* knows best what's right for Faith. I think she's been pushy to the point of being out-of-line lately. She's just going in an unlikable direction for me.

      I'll just add here for clarity that I'd really love for Faith and Adam to stay together; I love his character. I think they're great together. But, that still doesn't (necessarily) mean that Faith is falling apart; she has her reasons for her decisions, presumably.

      Delete
  10. I think Faith doesn't think she deserves Adam. She referred to herself asa terrible girlfriend because she thinks that she will do something terrible to hurt him. I agree with whomever said she's trying to make up for hurting Mike. If she's in love with Adam she should give those feelings time to fade before jumping back in something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like Mike, but I don't like Faith even more at this point. Her decisions are very selfish, and neither Mike or Adam deserve to be treated the way she is treating them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly is such a bitch sometimes, but faith is being a selfish jerk right now. I don't even care which guy she ends up with, I just want her to stop playing games!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete