Monday, August 4, 2014

Melee

It was date night and I had invited Mike over to my apartment for dinner. Molly was at Calvin’s for the evening which I was relieved for because it meant I wasn’t going to have to worry about being judged for hanging out with Mike. He was standing in my kitchen with a light blue long-sleeved shirt on but had the sleeves pushed up as he worked with a skillet. I took it in and smiled internally.

“You know, I think Sasha and Dolly would get along really well. We should take them to the dog park sometime.” He said.

I agreed and we were trying to decide on a good day to take them out when there was a knock on my door.

“What are you doing here?” I was shocked and looked back at Mike who was focused on the stove in front of him. I gently closed the door and stepped into the hallway.


“I needed to see you. I’m ba-”

“Adam…” I shifted my eyes to the door in a panic.

I was so caught off guard. Part of me leapt at the sight of him. Another part was taken aback by how he looked. He was looking good, he'd clearly been cleared y his doctors to finally start hitting the gym again and you could totally tell. He stood there in a white t-shirt that showed off his arms and his favorite pair of jeans but he had a darker five o'clock shadow than usual and looked tired. He looked good though and I immediately felt guilty for thinking that because I had no right to want him still. Another part of me was horrified that he was here while I was on a date with Mike. Could there have been worse timing? The horrified part of me must have been what showed on my face because I saw realization hit Adam.

“Are you…? Do you have someone over right now?”

Before I could answer, Mike pulled open the door and smiled at me. His smile faded when he noticed Adam and then he looked between me and Adam for an explanation.

“Mike, you remember my friend Adam, right?” I asked reintroducing him.

“Oh, yeah,” he shook Adam’s hand, “The guy that wrote that article…”

His eyes looked at Adam with slight contempt and Adam’s eyes mirrored his.

“Um. I’ll be right there,” I cut in before the tension between them progressed anymore, “we just needed to discuss something for a second.”

“Okay.” He smiled at me and then headed back into my apartment.

I shut the door and looked at Adam with a mixture of embarrassment and anger.

“Wow.” Adam nodded with a blown away look on his face.

“Why are you here?” I gave a small, tired shrug.

“I…I wanted…I can’t believe you,” he was suddenly angry, “we only broke up 6 weeks ago and you’re already dating again!?”

Adam looked at me angrily.

“Now wait a minute, I-”

He shook his head and left before I could say anything else. I went back inside and found Mike working in the kitchen.

“Everything okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, Adam just needed some advice about work. He wanted to see if I could use some of my HR contacts from before.”

“That’s so great of you, Faith.”

I joined him and started making a salad as he finished sautéing some vegetables. Dinner with Mike was nice but I couldn’t help thinking of Adam’s sudden appearance and what he’d said. I was shocked that he was even here.

“Are you okay?” Mike asked.

We had been sitting on the couch, snuggling, but I had spaced off.

“Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind tonight for some reason.” I said.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“No, I think I just need to work through it by myself.” I was quiet for a beat, “You know, I’m sorry, I don’t think I’m going to be very fun tonight.”

“Did I do something?”

“No!” I said with surprise, “You didn’t do anything, it’s just a lot of stressful work stuff that I have to deal with tomorrow, that’s all.”

“Okay, well, do you want me to go?” He asked with concern.

“I’m sorry.” I said shrugging, “I’m just not in a mood to hang out right now.”

“It’s okay.” He got up and grabbed his jacket. I walked him to the door and we kissed before he left.

I paced around my apartment for about ten minutes before grabbing my coat and keys.
  
Adam was not happy to see me when he opened his door (I figured he’d be at his apartment since he had been unable to find a sub-letter before he moved and I was banking on him still not having one set up yet). He rolled his eyes and let me in. When he closed the door he faced me and crossed his arms and waited for me to speak.

“First of all, you had NO right to just show up out of the blue!” I yelled, “What were you thinking?”

“What was I thinking!?” Adam yelled back, “You’re dating again and we only broke up 6 weeks ago! How long have you been back together with him?”

“Two weeks.” I said uncomfortably.

Adam made a scoffing sound.

“No!” I said holding my finger up and pointing at him, “You do NOT get to make me feel guilty for moving on! We were over. You chose your job over me!”

Adam looked like I had slapped him.

“Are you fucking kidding me!?” He spat, “I told you I wouldn’t go if you didn’t want me to. You were planning on ending things for over a week before I left, you helped me pack up all of my stuff into a moving van, and then broke things off the night before I left and then told me if I stayed we still wouldn’t be together. You left me with no other option but to leave!”

“I mean before that, Adam!”

He shook his head slightly as if he didn’t understand so I continued.

“When you were offered that job there was no discussion about how I would feel about you leaving. You didn’t include me in your decision to take the job at all. You just decided and only included me when it was time to figure out how we would make things work!”

“Right, because you would have told me not to take it.” He shot back sarcastically.

He was right. I never would have told him not to take the job. I tried a different tactic.

“You know what, Adam? I made the hard decisions in our relationship. I ended things between us for you. I made that decision-”

“Only because you gave up on us, Faith!” His face looked the way it had the night I’d broken things off and my heart broke all over again. But I became defensive, too.

“I did NOT give up on us!” I said fiercely, “I ended things between us because I lov-”

“Right, because you loved me SO much that you had to let me go. Bullshit!” He spat.

“Excuse me?” I said angrily.

“Faith, you used that reasoning as an excuse because it sounds noble but in reality you ended things because things got hard and you ran away. It’s what you DO. I KNOW you. I know you run from things, I just never realized you would run away from ME. From US.”

“I… That’s not fair!” I said weakly and leaned against the wall in his foyer.

The truth is, he was right. He’d hit the nail on the head and I had absolutely no way to pretend like he didn’t. I ended it because I was scared and ending it was less scary than staying together and having to work at something as difficult as a long distance relationship and knowing it might not work out, so I beat it to the punch and ended it. I looked up at him in defeat and shrugged sadly.

“I’m sorry, Adam.”

He stepped toward me and put his forehead against mine and cupped my face with one hand. His other hand was against the wall next to me. He stood upright and pulled his forehead away from mine and we stared at each other.

“Faith…I love you.” He said with a heavy sadness.

A tear slipped out of my eye and rolled down my cheek but I wiped it away quickly.

“I…I love you, too, Adam, but-”


His lips pressed against mine and my body collapsed into his as he pushed me against the wall. It was the most intense kiss I’ve ever had in my life. My hands ran through his hair as he pushed against me with his body. One of his hands was entwined in my hair and the other was wrapped around my hip. I hiked one of my legs over his hip…




(Today is the author's 26th birthday! -del)

38 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    Nooooooo! Not Adam again....Please don't hurt Mike again it's not right!!! Seriously Faith.....As much has I would love to see you with Mike....I think it's best you pick no one and focus on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    I'm team Adam. Liked Mike before but he isn't a good fit for Faith now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Adam! Although I feel sorry for Mike. Ugh. Faith sucks sometimes. (Love this blog, though!)

      Delete
  3. How can Faith do this to Mike again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesssssss they are perfect for eachother. I don't think its right that she is doing this to mike but they aren't right for eachother like she and adam are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noooooooo. She CANNOT do this to Mike again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith isn't doing anything to Mike. They literally just had a talk where they decided not to be exclusive with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterAugust 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM

    Woot Woot! Happy Birthday!!!!

    #SorryImNotSorry if Mike get's his feelings hurt again. He was as much a part of the first breakup as Faith was and she said “I just got out of a really serious relationship. I’m not sure about anything right now.” when they had "the talk" just last week. My only surprise is that it took Adam this long to come back for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Del!

    As for Faith, I'm getting real sick of her actions. I just don't get how she constantly screws up and jumps from man to man. It's tragic to read about

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthaday Del!! Hope its a Great one!!

    And I'm team Adam, but not like this. Faith, get it together! You'll always regret not trying with Adam. Regret is worst than heartbreak. You can get over a broken heart. Regret stays with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday!
    Yay Adam! I suggest Faith up her counselling sessions again so she can get her sh!t together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo glad Adam is back!!! I mean, yeah I was wanting to see what happened with her and Mike but I'm always going to be team Adam!

    Happy Birthday del

    ReplyDelete
  12. Serious faith, it's not right to do that again to Mike. I don't care how emotional and messed you may feel with Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOD.
    So many things going on here. Faith and Adam. Faith and Mike (non-exclusive, exclusive, so many emotions, love, past, present), and of course Faith and Faith, what does she want?

    Maybe neither of these men? Maybe both in different ways?

    I can't wait to see her put her life in order. I feel like this blog is very realistic in that at times our lives are just as messy. Of course, it's great to read about how the charcaters get out of the mess, so we learn from it!

    www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

    P.S Happy birthday Del!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Del! Thanks for giving us a great birthday post!

    I'm not sure how I feel about Adam coming back. All I know is that I don't want her to hurt Mike again!

    I'm anxious to see how this plays out!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEL!!!!!

    Too many emotions going on, how is she going to choose?!?! Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Del!!!!!! :)

    So disappointed in Faith. Sleeping with both of them isn't going to help her clear her head and make a choice - which is what she needs to do....Even though im team MIKE i actually just want her to stop jumping between guys like this, they both deserve much more even if its to officially drop one + pursue a relationship with the other
    + I'm really upset that she lied to Mike about Adams reasoning for being by her place She should have been honest IMO. She needs to clear her head + be the mature person she is capable of being. She is capable + on top of things in her work life but her personal life is a hot mess!

    cant wait to see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEL!!! Hope you have a fantastic day (without too many "to-do" tasks).

    Faith was really caught off guard here, but lying to Mike was definitely *not* the smartest move she could have made in response. Just tell the guy the truth (damage control warrants fessing up right away), so he doesn't feel "wronged" when the truth eventually comes out. Up to this point, she hadn't done anything to feel bad about; but, *anyone* would feel betrayed after discovering he/she as been lied to. Also, Faith still has time to stop the (hot) sex her and Adam are about to engage in; unless she plans to end it with Mike and start up again with Adam, then she needs to come to her senses and stop. I really love Adam for her - so many reasons why - but this situation isn't fair to either guy, considering her history with both. And, I love Faith, and it's totally understandable that she loves good sex...but I just don't get her serious problem with impulse control; she does this *so* much.

    Terrific writing, Birthday Girl, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh. So quick to lie. Even if she and MIke weren't exclusive. Very disappointing. And we don't even know if Adam is back, it's probably just for a visit. Molly needs to move out STAT and leave this hot mess behind. mum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Del great writing as usual.

    Faith is getting on my nerves everytime she makes a step forward she takes two steps back. Truth of the matter is she had the perfect guy for her in Adam and she threw him away. None of these guys deserves this but it is Faith Mike should know who he is dealing with. He should know she may not be ready for anything. I don't see her doing anything that he isn't allowing. As much as I love Adam Faith just prove she isn't ready for him. She still has a whole lot of growing to do. When your friends tell you the truth you listen other so called friends will just make you crash and burn. Who maybe that's what she needs. Why does she always want to learn the hard way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I feel Adam is so good for her. Knowing she is wrong and still trying to be understanding and patient with her. I just don't get Faith at all. If you don't want him I will take him.

      Delete
  20. Happy birthday Del!

    Wow. I am so disappointed in Faith. She really needs to grow up. I feel so bad for both the guys. She doesn't deserve such great guys. Especially Mike. Second time cheating on him... I wish she would listen to sane person like Molly instead of feeling betrayed whenever someone points out the reality to her.

    I will always be #TeamMike

    ReplyDelete
  21. yaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so happy right now:) team adam!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday Del!! Hope you're having a great one!

    I'd love to see Faith end up with Adam but I'm hopIng she stops things with him so she can do the right thing and end things with MIke first. Mike is too good for this. Actually I hope he dumps her first. I'd really like to see her end up with Adam. He's so good for her and to her but this girl seriously needs to get her act together. Her behavior is growing old.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It *is* frustrating sometimes how Faith is so impulsive regarding how she deals with the men in her life; interestingly, it's mainly just in this one area where she's like that. In most other situations that I can recall, Faith seems pretty level-headed to me. But, technically (and, I know technical details don't always make it ok to most people, buuuuttt...) , Faith wouldn't be cheating on Mike by getting physical with Adam. This is one of those grey areas that people get really divided on. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that during their "talk", Faith and Mike decided to take it slow and not become exclusive as of yet. So, aren't they both free to see other people, while they're trying the dating thing again? (I could be forgetting something; didn't look back to that post). Not that it's a good idea for Faith to be doing this (playing with emotional TNT), but her only real "crime" here is the lying to Mike about how Adam fits into her life. Nobody likes to be lied to.

    That being said, I really do want to see her wind up with Adam - however they get there. I don't see *how* she's ever going to find anyone who will so open-heartedly accept her - flaws and all - who treats her with so much respect and love...and who she has such a natural emotional, mental, and sexual compatibility with. I have to admit, I never really understand what people mean when they comment that Faith and Adam don't have that romantic/sexual "spark", or that it seems forced, or it's not exciting, etc. That's baffling to me, since they seem crazy-in-love and crazy-in-lust to me; I just can't see the "forced" part. But, love and relationships are subjective - no doubt about it. Everyone sees things through a different filter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEL!! So I read this earlier this morning (like 7am early) and I was just so irritated with our fictitious friend that I just couldn't comment. I just feel like while everyone is Team Mike and Team Adam, I'm Team Get-Your-Life-Together. I'm with Molly in how frustrated I am by our self-centered bestie. Ya, Faith isn't cheating, but she's leading on two really great guys (I think we can all agree that Del has drawn up two awesome guys with some flaws of their own).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #Teamgetyourlifetogether

      Love it!

      Delete
  25. Mmmm...I just looked back at the "talk" post; it does look like they're supposed to be exclusive, even though they leave it at just seeing where it goes while they date. It's not explicitly said that they're *only* to see each other, but with all the talk between them about trust issues and Faith's cheating on Mike, I'm pretty sure it's implied. So, hopefully she'll stop what she's about to do with Adam, before things get *really* ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm starting to think Faith should just get back with Sean. Maybe she deserves crap. Happy Birthday, Del!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! This comment really made me laugh!

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  27. Happy birthday del!! Have a blast!

    Seeing Adam back and 'hearing' him out really make me feel that Adam is a better fit for Faith than anyone else at the moment. I was blindsided by Mike's tenderness to Faith but left out the fact that Mike will probably never know Faith as well as Adam does.
    Much as I'm happy to see Mike back, I hope Faith can make up her mind wisely and stick to it this time round.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So not happy with another cheating storyline. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel like Adam "gets" Faith in a way that Mike never did. I'm thrilled Adam's back... I hope it's for good! Go Team Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday!!!!

    I have loved Adam for Faith since they were just friends way back at the start of this story. I wish mike wasn't in the middle but I hope this situation makes Faith take some responsibility for her actions and move forward with some more stability. It's a firm and very hopeful vote for Adam from me haha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Run, Mike! Run far and fast as you can. Faith is a train wreck.

    ReplyDelete