Thursday, August 14, 2014

Flipped Tables

Admittedly, what I did was kind of stupid in how risky it was. I thought the end would justify the means, I guess, but saying it backfired is an understatement. At the very least, I thought it would make Faith realize what she’s doing. The best case scenario was, obviously, to get her and Adam back together. I really did think that if she just saw him and talked to him for a bit she’d get it together and realize how stupid it is for her to get back together with Mike, at least not right now.

My plan failed. Hard.

“I really am sorry, Adam.” I said into the phone, “I thought she was going to react differently. I never meant to make this whole thing harder on you.”

I meant it and Adam understood.

“It’s fine, Molly, really. I think we both got some much needed closure from the talk we had. Can’t win ‘em all, right?”

I could hear his smile through the phone but I felt terrible about what I’d done and I was pretty certain that he was just pretending to be okay.

“I promise, I’m done meddling. I’ll never do this again.” I said hoping that was enough, “I promised Faith as much, too. It really isn’t any of my business.”

We talked a little bit more before we hung up.

“Did I just hear you apologize for meddling?” Calvin said handing me a bowl of ice cream.

Things had been tense for the past few days over at my place with Faith so I was over at Calvin’s hiding out until things smoothed over a bit. Calvin was joking but I was genuinely sad that things had backfired…especially so terribly.

“I just…I thought that if they just talked about what happened she’d realize how she feels. But I just made things harder for them both. The worst part is that I think her night with Adam made her more confused about what she’s doing. You should have heard her, Calvin.”

I dug my spoon into my ice cream thoughtfully as he took one of my feet and started rubbing it quietly.

“She knows she’s still in love with Adam but for some reason she doesn’t feel, like, worthy enough for him or something.”

“But she does for Mike?” Calvin stopped rubbing my foot for a second to give me a confused eyebrow lift.

“Right? It’s so weird. She’s been hoping for a second chance with Mike pretty much from the second they broke up and now that she has it…she’s going to freaking blow it. She wants to be the person he thinks she is rather than who she actually is.”

“Why?”

I was quiet for a second as I stared at my ice cream bowl and let the glob I had in my mouth melt away.

“Probably because she thinks it’s the only way to redeem herself from cheating on him.”

I had an epiphany. It made so much sense. Faith wanted a second chance with Mike after they broke up because she loved him and hated herself for what she did, but now? Now it isn’t about that…it’s about proving to herself that she isn’t that girl.

The only problem is that Faith IS that girl. She DID cheat on Mike. She can’t rewrite what she did no matter how much she changes herself for him. My little plan didn’t work the way I wanted to but I certainly learned that I will be staying out of this, for real this time, because it’s just too messy. I just feel bad for Mike. He has no idea what's coming his way.








I had just finished putting together my end table, which had been delivered earlier that day. Instructions from Ikea are a whole new experience, FYI. My cell phone started buzzing and when I looked down at it, my breath caught. I stared at it and debated letting it go to voicemail but decided to answer it (and slightly hated myself for it).

“Hello?”

“Adam, why did you tell Molly about the other night?” Faith’s voice was even but I could tell she was holding back a lot of anger simply because this was the first phone call I’d gotten from her since the weekend after I moved. Something big must have happened to make her call me.

“It just sort of came out. Was I not supposed to?” I asked calmly.

“I just…I thought….I felt like it was a really private conversation between us and it hurt to know you told Molly about it. Why are you even in contact with her?”

“I didn’t tell her what we said or anything. I just mentioned I’d stopped by…during your date or whatever. And Molly and I text sometimes. We’re friendly.”

“I don’t think I’m comfortable with that.”

I was quiet for a moment before I answered because I needed to choose my words carefully, but when it came time to actually reply I threw my carefully phrased sentence out the window and just barged on through with something else.

“Um. I don’t think that’s really my problem, Faith. Plus, you hang out with Penny, like, all the time.”

She was quiet.

“You can’t tell me who I can and can’t be friends with.”

“I just think you and Moll-”

“What? That we’re conspiring against you? Did you seriously call me to tell me that I can’t be friends with your friends anymore?”

“Adam, that’s not-”

“Look, Faith, I love you and I’m going to say the next thing with as much love and respect as I can muster right now: Grow the hell up.”

For a second I thought she’d hung up on me but I don’t regret what I said, I’d do it again.

“I, uh, I guess I deserve that.” Her voice was meek.

“I didn’t mean to be so harsh.”

There was an awkward silence over the phone.

“Adam, I’m really sorry about-”

“It’s fine.” Honestly, I was sick of hearing her apologize for not wanting to be with me anymore, “You don’t have to apologize anymore. We’re adults. We can be civil about this. Hell, I just put together an end table, so I’m in a pretty great place right now emotionally.”

She didn’t laugh. I surveyed my apartment. It wasn’t nearly as sparse as it used to be and Dan was right about it helping me move on. It provided a good distraction to focus on and for the first time in nearly two months I was able to store my clothes in a dresser and I didn’t have to eat my meals on a box anymore. I had a place to put my lamp on my end table now. I am, clearly, moving on up in the world, people.

“Seriously, Faith, stop beating yourself up about this. We’ll never be able to be friends again if you can’t do that.”

“You’re right.” She conceded, “The apologizing stops now.”

“’That’s my girl.”

I winced at that. She’s not your girl anymore, idiot. She was never really “mine” either. I never had her. She’s not an object. I didn’t own her or anything, obviously. It’s just a saying. I’m just digging the hole deeper.

ANYWAY.

“Could you just do me a favor when it comes to Molly?” She sighed.

“Maybe. Depends on what it is.”

“Could you just not talk about me? Or our relationship. She’s taken our breaking up really poorly and I don’t think it’s helping her…or our friendship, to be honest, if you keep giving her the idea that you’re still on board with getting back together.”

“…Sure.”

What I wanted to say was that I wasn’t giving Molly any ideas. I AM still on board to get back together if that’s what Faith wanted. Dan says that I’m stupid for wanting that after what she did to me but I’m sure I’ll get past it eventually. Or at least he swears I will. I’m skeptical.

“Thank you.”


We hung up and I sat on my couch in silence staring at my phone. I turned it on and stared at Faith’s name in my contacts list and was so close to calling her back. I had my phone hovering above the little green phone icon. It felt like we had said all we needed to say and nothing at the same time. Maybe if I just got her to listen, maybe if I just quit my job and moved back...but then I remembered Mike and how she chose him. She's done with me for good. 

I put my phone down, picked up my laptop, and started shopping for an entertainment center online. Retail therapy is a helluva drug, guys.

20 comments:

  1. I love the different perspectives!! I'm so torn! I want her with Adam, but I don't want her to hurt Mike! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't agree with what she did, I think Molly's take on things is spot on. I really like Adam in this post. Faith needs to go check in with Dr. Sheehan. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. She needs to get back with Adam, she is with Mikie for all the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still like Faith with Adam. I know their broken up, but Adam is the only guy who seems to have gotten Faith. He called her on her bs and loved her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing things from Adam's perspective was great. I'm realizing just how self-focused Faith is as we hear from all the people in her life. I love her with Adam and I think that he is really, really good for her - even now after she broke his heart for all the wrong reasons. But I'm beginning to question if Faith should be with anyone right now.

    I am very, very super interested in hearing from Mike's perspective. (wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you took the words right out of my mouth. I really would love to hear from Mike's perspective...maybe this will sway me like this one did towards Adam...who knows?

      I also think maybe Faith needs some down time right now.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh...Mike's perspective, YES! Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That would add an interesting perspective.

      Delete
  7. What ever happened to letting friends make their own decisions and learn from their experiences? Molly needs to butt out. Faith may be making a bad decision but it's hers to make and learn from. She was upfront with Mike about getting out of a serious relationship and that she wasn't ready for anything serious. She's given Faith her opinion and honestly, it's none of Molly's business. It almost seems like Molly has feelings for either Mike or Adam, the way she is being so intrusive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the different perspectives in this post. Is it wrong that I'm liking Adam a whole lot more than Faith right now? I'm glad he called her out a little bit on her BS actions because it was well deserved.

    I'm waiting for the fallout from all of this. I totally agree with Molly regarding Faith needing redemption from the Mike situation. She is trying to date him for all the wrong reasons. Especially when there is a man - Adam - who is so clearly better for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faith is so blind. Adam actually gets her, imperfections and all and still loves her. He knows exactly how her mind works and still loves her. Everything Faith ever wanted or needed is with Adam and she just can't see it....sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Faith can see it but it scares her so she's actively choosing to ignore it.

      Delete
  10. I don't know why Faith would think Adam cares that she's not "comfortable" with him staying in touch with Molly. I can see her point, but does she not see how hypocritical that is when she's been getting so tight with Penny? That's pretty self-absorbed reasoning right there, but nobody's perfect. So glad Adam responded as he did; honest and plain-spoken without being mean. Adam keeps showing how great he is for her; Faith seems to be able to "hear" him when nobody else can get through to her. That fact makes me think there's hope for them yet.

    Molly, though - she's been behaving like a menace. It's one thing to try and help friends by listening and trying to show you care - completely another to aggressively step into the midst of their private affairs. It's not like Faith is standing on a street corner peddling her body for crack or something; her life isn't in such dire straits that friends and love-ones need to intervene like this. Ridiculous. Molly needs to ask herself honestly whether her only motivation for getting so involved is purely out of concern. Her covert actions regarding Faith seem almost hostile to me; her and Faith are going to wind up with new roommates if Molly's not careful. Great writing, Del!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ***Meant to add: these perspectives from the other main characters are *great*! When reading any kind of story, I always tend to automatically look at events from *all* the major characters' viewpoints, especially the main couple (assuming there is a love-interest in the story; usually is). In "real life", events aren't all about just 1 person, obviously - but in blogs, we normally only get the female lead's pov, which seems incomplete to me. So, your spin on things in the blog lately is really fun to read, Del. Should've known you'd come up with that sooner or later. *Love*.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This different perspectives approach is too awesome. And I honestly think Faith will go back to Adam. It might not be anytime soon, but it will happen. Mike is great and all but he's not for Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might be alone here but one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way was when Adam was talking to his parents and said that Faith didn't mean anything to him.. Even though faith told him to say that, a real man wouldn't have done that. Since then, I've been team Mike l.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, that really pissed me off as well. I'd forgotten all about it, probably because everything else Adam has done regarding Faith has been pretty great (in my opinion, anyway). I also couldn't understand *why* Faith would tell him to say that. I remember some of her reasoning (Adam would be left alone to concentrate on his job interview, no more constant phone harassment from his family about Faith, blah-blah-blah). But, that all seemed so weak to me. He *should* have told them to take a flying fuck (pardon my potty mouth, to anyone who's offended) if they were going to keep trying to dictate who he should be involved with. Faith couldn't have been nicer to them, and they were disgraceful anyway, especially Adam's sister. Awful. I didn't get why Faith was so easily run over by them. Knowing his own (horrid) family, Adam should have declined eating with them in the first place; *any* kind of excuse would have been better than what went down.

      Maybe Faith has some unconscious resentments/doubts about Adam's behavior in relation to his family? Even though she encouraged his lying to them, that doesn't mean she's not thinking the situation is a little too reminiscent of what happened with Mike's family. Could be that Faith thinks this is another reason why she and Adam wouldn't work out.

      Delete
  14. People are trying so hard to her adam and faith but together but she doesn't deserve him. She dating mike to assuage her guilt so you know that's going to end badly. I think it's just because everyone loves the character so much, but adam deserves to find someone who doesn't make him work so hard and appreciates him. Adam deserve true happiness and I think he'll find that without faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered the same thing. I would love for them to get back together at some point. I'm sure Faith will eventually realize that she wants him back, but hopefully it won't be too late. I'm sure if they do get back together, Adam will make her work for it. I really want Adam to stick around because he's my favorite character.

      Delete
  15. Adam is pretty freaking great. Ugh! Loving the different perspectives!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete