Monday, August 18, 2014

Lady in Red

“Day’s end can’t come close enough, right?” Aaron popped his head above his cubicle.

I was working on a deadline and had just sent my final piece into my editor. This particular piece was about the police brutality in Ferguson, Missouri over the weekend and was pretty challenging but I was satisfied with what I’d managed to produce. I knew where Aaron was going with this line of conversation, though.

“Yeah.”

“Do you want to join a few of us for happy hour after work?” He asked.

Usually, I turn Aaron down for happy hour but Dan’s words rang in my ear about how the invitations will eventually stop. I was in the mood to celebrate my article being done anyway so I agreed to go. We had a few more hours left of the work day so I started up on my next project: A District Attorney’s son who wrapped his car around a tree while driving drunk and had somehow managed to avoid any charges.

All of the information I had about the case was laid out in front of me and I was studying it intensely and lost track of time. I someone clear their throat outside of my cubicle. When I looked up there was a woman standing there. She had thick, dark red hair, green eyes, and a killer smile highlighted with deep red lipstick. She was wearing a black wrap dress with white polka dots and was holding a folder.

“Hi, I’m Serena.” She held her hand out and I shook it as she stepped into my cubicle.

“I’m Ada-”

“You’re the new guy. I know.”

She smiled at me and then held up her folder.

“I’m here for your copy order. I’m one of the support staffers.”

Now that she’d said that I remembered seeing her around the office but we’d never been introduced and the woman who usually came by to pick up my copy requests was out sick today.

“You must be covering for Annette.” I said as I spun in my chair to grab the paperwork I needed copied.

I had to reach by her and accidentally grazed her hip.

“Sorry about that.” I blushed.

“Oh, it’s fine. And, yeah, Annette has bronchitis or something.”

I handed her my paperwork. She turned to leave but then turned back around.

“Aaron told me you’re coming to happy hour…”

“Yeah.” I said with surprise.

She didn’t seem like the happy hour kind.

“Nice. It should be fun.”

She walked backwards out of my cubicle and smiled at me the whole time before disappearing down the aisle between the cubicles. I found myself smiling and realized how weird it felt.


At the end of the day, I collected my things and met the group I’d be hanging out with by the elevators. There were six of us, including me: Aaron, Serena, Dale, Preston, and Ken. We made our way to a bar about two blocks from our office building and grabbed a table for everybody. Aaron and I went up to the bar to get some pitchers of beer and glasses. As we were waiting, Aaron eyed our table and then me.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing.”

I wasn’t in the mood for pulling information out of people so I changed the subject.

“Serena doesn’t really seem like the kind of person who would come to a happy our work thing.” I said.

Aaron smiled and I realized she was what he’d been eyeing.

“Yeah, she’s not.”

“What?”

“She only agreed to come when I told her you were coming. I think she’s into you, man.”

I looked at him in disbelief and shook my head, laughed, and then turned toward the bar waiting for the glasses.

“No, I’m serious, man. I’ve asked her to come to happy hour with us probably every week for months and she’s always said no. But then I mention you’re coming and she hops on board immediately. She’s definitely into you. Plus she’s smoking hot. I wouldn’t mind taking a tumble in the sheets with her.”

I decided I wasn’t really a fan of Aaron or where our conversation was going but thankfully the bartender handed me a tray with our glasses on it and Aaron grabbed the pitchers. When we got to the table, I realized that the chair set aside for me was next to Serena. The look she was giving me told me it was purposeful.
I sat down and poured us both some beer and things went smoothly for the rest of the evening. It was nice to get to know my coworkers. At one point Serena and I were the only ones left at the table, everyone else had gotten up to play a game of darts. She was tracing the rim of the glass with a finger and watching the game quietly.

“So, how long have you been working here?” I asked her.

“Only about 9 months. I’m just office support staff but I really want to become an analyst. I love that line of work.”

She lit up and told me all about what got her interested in the field and the paper we were working for.

“I’m hoping they’ll give me Gerald’s job when he retires in October.”

Gerald was an analyst who’d been working in the field forever and announced his plans for retirement a few weeks ago, shortly after I started working here. He’s a nice guy but I found myself hoping Serena would get the open spot. She was one of those people you couldn’t help but root for and like.

“So, how’s the move here been for you?” She asked.

“It’s been, uh, an experience.” I didn’t want to come off as too negative so I took a neutral stance, “It was a rough start what with being robbed and everything, but I think I found a cool place.”

“Robbed?”

“Yeah…” I told her about what had happened with my moving van before I found a place.

“Wow. I’m so sorry that happened. I don’t know how you managed to keep it together. I think I would’ve just given up.”

“Well, I ended up in a pretty good place, anyway.” I told her where I lived and she lit up again.

“We’re neighbors!” She said, “I live right across the street from you!”

She nudged my shoulder and laughed.

“You’re I luck, it’s a pretty great part of town. My building hasn’t had a robbery since I’ve been living there. You’ve got to make sure to…”

For the rest of the night, Serena and I talked about all of the things in the city that I should make sure to do in order to get a proper welcome to Cincinnati. Our coworkers were starting another round of darts and I looked at my watch. I was ready to go.  Serena gave me a sly smile.

“Do you want to get out of here? I know a great sandwich place…and it’s on the way home.”

I was hungry and it wasn’t like we were going on a date so I agreed. We got up from the table and said good bye to everyone before setting out.

“This place has an absolutely awesome Italian beef sandwich. You’re going to love it.”

We arrived at the sandwich shoppe within ten minutes and she was right. They had one of the best Italian beef sandwiches I’ve ever had. We sat at a table and shared some chips as we ate. She told me more about herself and it was nice to just listen. I didn’t really know how much to share but she was more than happy to take over the conversation. When we got up to leave she wrapped her arm into mine again as we walked. When we got to my apartment complex she hesitated and I realized I we weren’t on the same page and I would need to try a different tactic to let her down easy.

“You know, I think Aaron is pretty into you.” I said nonchalantly.

I stuck my hands in my pockets as she stood across from me. She snorted.

“Of course he is. His hard-on for me is obvious to everyone but I’m SO not into him like that. He seems like such a skeeze.”

I had to give her credit, she could certainly read people pretty well.

“Plus,” her eyes flicked up my body slyly, “I think I’m into someone else, anyway.”

She took a step towards me. I realized I was going to need to be more direct.

“Look, Serena…you’re really cool and everything but I just got out of a pretty serious relationship, I’m not really looking to date anyone right now…”

I expected her to look more disappointed but she smiled brightly.

“I’m not looking to date anyone right now, either. But you look like you know what to do in the sack and as it just so happens I AM looking for someone to help me out with that.”

She ran a finger over my chest and I’m sure I just imagined it but it burned under her touch. She filled the space between us with another step and I looked down at her.

“I don’t really thi-”

“We’re adults here, Adam. I can take a hint, but I also think that we have a lot of chemistry and I’m betting that that also means we’ll have a strong sexual chemistry. I’d love to help you get over your ex by screwing your brains out.”

She was like a completely different person than I thought she was and I was strangely interested in it but I was hesitant. She leaned in and kissed me hard. It was…different. I think I was so used to kissing Faith that kissing someone new was unexpected. I was surprised when I found myself kissing her back. I missed human touch and I hadn’t realized it until that moment. When we broke apart I could feel her lipstick smeared on my face and knew my hair was messed up.

“So, what do you think? Should we take this upstairs?”

She looked up at me flirtatiously.


“Uh….I…”

31 comments:

  1. I'm still rooting for Adam and Faith, so I'm "Ugh nooo" on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Adam's definitely not used to someone this direct. I like this point of view. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ick, no, and ick again. Didn't Adam say he didn't like Aaron for the same reasons that just came out of this girl's mouth? He is just sooooo much better than this story line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post, but after all my name is Serena too so maybe I'm just partial :) it's nice to see Adam getting out of his funk and everyone needs to feel wanted at one time or another. Serena seems like a good distraction for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blah. .When is this story going to turn around, I don't like Adam moving on and I don't like faith using mike. I feel sad when I read this lately. Still interested in finding out what happens though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooo Adam! Don't do it!! I want him and Faith back together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had one word, if it counts as that, go through my mind while reading this: "ew".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wanted adam to move on from faith for his own sake but I really miss them together on this post. I really didn't like him with another girl but I guess it's the way it has to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just how I feel about this. It's weird and bittersweet, but that's life. That's how things occur in the real world, and that's why it's hard to read and come to terms with it too.

      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
  9. Adam deserves to get some...they are both adults and can have a little fun if that's what they want. Faith has moved on, why should Adam wait around for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterAugust 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM

      Truth. And it was Faith's choice to push Adam away and then promptly run back to Mike when he conveniently showed up.

      Delete
  10. I don't really like the multiple perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of with you on this but it does kind of help clarify this very tricky situation that they are all going through.

      Delete
  11. In movies and books, it seems like the *really* sexually-forward characters turn out to be either pretty great or pretty weird (as in, "Fatal Attraction" weird). I'm sure those are fictional stereo types, and hopefully Serena will turn out to be a happy distraction (at the very least) for Adam to move on from Faith. I really want Adam & Faith to wind up together, but not because he's so lonely and miserable without her that his only choice is to keep obsessing over what they had. Like someone else pointed out, Faith's gone in her own direction for now, so Adam needs some comfort and happiness as well. The poor guy has done everything he can do to try and convince her that the 2 of them would be fine through *whatever* comes their way, but she's just not on board. Time to have some fun now; think Adam's been lonely long enough. Love reading his pov. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just remembered the author I love who makes a habit of writing from each of the main characters' viewpoints: Alice Hoffman. She's fantastic, with such a talent for realistic character development that ranges from adults to children, in all kinds of relationships (couples, parent/child, friends, etc.). One particular favorite is "Illumination Night" (didn't go look for my copy; hope I got the title right). She has many others, though. Anyhoo, it's her ability to get inside several characters' heads so well that really appeals; makes each character very sympathetic and likable. *Love* how you're handling the main characters, Del; great insights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still on team Mike, so even though this seems like a rebound for Adam, I think he should go for it!

    On another note, if I can make a suggestion - when you are writing from someone else's perspective, could you make note of it in the title (that way when we start reading we are clued in right away as to who the characters are).

    I love this blog - keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can we just get back to Faith's POV? how many posts has it been now...? one POV a week from someone else is more than enough....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, i didn't even read it when I realized it was from another pov

      Delete
    2. One different point of view a week is enough....so what's the issue? I've only done one different point of view a week since I started trying this out. There's been one Faith post and one different post each week for three weeks now and an extra surprise post from Faith's perspective.

      -del

      Delete
    3. No issue, Del. This new format you've been trying out is a great change for the better - huge. While I've *always* loved your blog and considered you a talented writer, the differing point of views has always been on my wish list; I remember commenting on Bedroom Blog long ago that same wish...don't remember if I ever expressed it here or not. Regardless...I think this change takes your writing to a whole new level. ***Love***.

      Delete
    4. Uh actually the issue is that the last post was not Faiths POV and neither is this one... That's two
      In a row... And the next post isn't either! Both this week were not Faiths. It's annoying bc If del wants to make a blog from Adams POV she should do that, not take away from Faiths posts.

      Delete
    5. I actually LOVE the different pov. in the survey you did it was one of the things i suggested- it makes us understand where everyone is coming from which makes the story richer substance wise.
      dahlia

      Delete
  15. Chris - @nylonlover69 on TwitterAugust 19, 2014 at 8:17 AM

    Lots of chatter up above about the different POV posts. I have to say that I like them, but I do agree it might be nice to know who it's coming from before I start reading so I have the proper voice/face in my head.

    As for Adam hooking up with Serena... go for it, man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go for it :) he deserves some fun!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the different points of view! If only faith would care enough to listen to someone else pov, she would hurt a lot less people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adam needs to be careful because Sleeping with a co-worker will not have great out comes. Doesn't matter if it's a one night stand or something more later. He should look else where for that, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point; didn't really consider that before. I want Adam to move on and get to know other women, but not at the expense of his career because of an unwise hookup. Hope Serena isn't a vindictive weirdo if they do wind up getting together.

      Delete
  19. I love the different POVs, it gives me both sides of the story, I do agree that I would like to know who's narration I'm reading beforehand so I can get in the mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Coworkers with benefits is a dangerous game....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this was just too soon and it seems like it is a forced post. Not into it.

    ReplyDelete