Friday, May 31, 2013

Waiting

I sat in the doctor’s office twitching my foot nervously. I had just peed in a cup to confirm that I was pregnant, which a nurse took. Molly and I were left in the exam room to wait. It seemed like an eternity had passed when the doctor finally walked in.

She had light brown hair and thick, black glasses that matched her sensible black pumps. She was wearing a wrap dress in a calming blue color.

“Hi, Faith. I’m Dr. Green.”


She shook my hand and I said hello then she sat on a stool with wheels on it and perused my chart.

“Well, Faith, the pregnancy test was positive, so we sh-”

Any hope I’d had that the test was wrong flew out the window and I started crying. Molly reached to hold my hand. Dr. Green did not appear surprised by my reaction, I imagine it wasn’t the first time the news of a positive pregnancy test wasn’t well-received.

“I’m sorry.” I said trying to compose myself.

Dr. Green handed me a tissue.

“I just don’t know how this happened. I’m on the pill. I rarely miss a pill and my boyfriend uses condoms almost always.”

“Did a condom break?” She asked.

“No. He never mentioned that.”

“Were you taking any antibiotics?”

I immediately became nauseous. I had taken antibiotics for the strep throat and bronchitis I had earlier in April. My heart leapt up into my throat and I nodded. Not only that, but Brad and I had not used a condom only one time shortly after I started feeling better but was still taking the antibiotics.

“On your chart it says the birth control pills you take have estrogen and progesterone in them…antibiotics can reduce the efficiency of those.”

I felt like a truck had knocked the wind out of me. How could I have been so stupid?

“I…” I looked at Dr. Green helplessly.

“If you need some time, I can come back. We should do an ultrasound at some point.”

“I’m…I’m okay.”

Dr. Green nodded and pulled out the ultrasound machine.

“Lift up your shirt please. This is some gel that will help get a better picture of the fetus. It might be cold.”

She squirted some translucent gel with a bluish tint onto my abdomen, turned the machine on, and pressed the probe onto my skin. I looked at the screen waiting to see something show up or to have Dr. Green point something out.

 “You look like you’re about 6 weeks….” She was looking at the screen and pointed to a grayish white spot, “See this here? That’s the fetus.”

I stared at it and felt like I was going to throw up.

“Would you like a picture of it?” She asked.

I didn’t know how to answer her.

“Um….no.” I said slowly.

Dr. Green nodded and began to put the machine away. She wiped my tummy off and then sat down on a small stool with wheels next to a counter.

“Well, Faith, we can discuss your options at this point, if you’d like. I can certainly refer you to the clinic you mentioned when you made your appointment. You will have to go through mandatory counseling there, as well.”

“I’d just like the referral.” I said staring down at my hands.

“Okay.” Dr. Green said. She pulled out an official-looking piece of paper, wrote a few notes on it and checked a couple boxes before handing it to me, “Is there anything else you, need Faith?”
“No.”

I thanked her and she left Molly and I in the room together. We stared at each other sadly.

I took a shaky breath before standing up from the exam table and slowly walking out of the room.

In the car, Molly tried to make conversation but my heart was just too heavy.

“Are you hungry? I could stop somewhere…”

I shook my head.

“I’m not going to tell Brad…at least not until after it’s done. He won't understand.” I said quietly, more to myself than to Molly.

Molly nodded.


I called the clinic when we got home. I have to go there and listen to someone counsel me about my options and have an ultrasound done and then wait at least 24 hours. Then I can get it done. They only offer abortions on Saturdays and couldn’t fit me in for my first appointment this week so I have to go in next Thursday and then I can get it done next Saturday. The next week and a half is going to be the longest one of my life.

17 comments:

  1. Brad is going to make her change her mind. Yes, she won't tell him but he'll be talking about it, and seem so happy about his new family, she'll chicken out and not be able to do it.

    I hope she stays strong for her sake. If she changes her mind for her, that's one thing. I hope she doesn't let Brad unknowingly change it for her.

    KBear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very much hoping for a false positive! Brad creeps me out. I think his emotions are all over the place; he's too much too soon. If I hadn't already known that faith didn't meet Brad at Bruno's until after the fire, I could see him starting it. I miss Faith and Mike and am disappointed in how she let that one blow up in her face. I agree with many readers I the fact that I don't feel sorry for her. This stage is frustrating to read, but I find myself still rooting for her to wake up and grow up. She seemed so much with it at the start and seems to keep unraveling. I also wonder what's happening to characters we haven't heard about in awhile..... The model, Anna's family, Stormy... Etc. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww =[ air hugs to Faith. Be Strong Sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like all of us, including Faith, were hoping it was a false positive. What an unfortunate and sad decision to have to make and follow through with. Just heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your story. I just wish it moved a little faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like plot-wise or number of posts per week wise?

      -del

      Delete
    2. I would love more per week. . But I know you're in school. ...

      ~dw

      Delete
    3. I just need to get through the next two weeks, then we can go to three times a week to get caught up to real time. But these next two weeks are going to be brutal for me, it'll be a wonder if I even remember to post the two posts per week like I'm supposed to.

      -del

      Delete
    4. Not necessarily the amount of post but we are moving with Faith day by day. Each post only one thing happens. I feel like it is going really slow. For example last post could have consisted with Molly finding out and the first Dr's appt.

      I don't know if that is possible though, I am not a writer. Just an impatient fan. LOL

      Delete
    5. Thanks for your feedback! I've been trying to keep posts long, but not too long (because it means I have to write more for less posts) but things should be speeding up soon!

      -del

      Delete
  6. One thing that was brought up during Faith's doctor's visit that drives me crazy is doctors will not TELL you if medications will make your birth control ineffective. Thank goodness I'm aware that antibiotics screw with your birth control and double check any time I have to take them, but it amazes me that doctors aren't more cautious about warning their patients. This is a great example of this kind of negligence screwing with someone's future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would expect a pharmacist to really do that when you fill your prescription. That's been my experience, at least. I'm on birth control and any time I've filled an antibiotic prescription, the pharmacist is the one who says it can affect my birth control pills, not my doctor. My doctor had that talk with me when I was originally put on them, but not since then.

      But, it sounds like Faith knew the antibiotics could affect her pills, she just didn't think of it or forgot. The reason I think that is because of the "how could I be so stupid?" line. I don't think Faith would have said that if she hadn't known about it, but it sounds like she's been so stressed with work and being sick and stuff that it didn't even occur to her.

      Delete
    2. I have never, ever had a pharmacist say anything to me about that. Mostly it's a tech that's handing you the prescription and the pharmacist isn't necessarily checking to see what other medications you are on. Especially in the big pharmacies.

      The fact that it's her doctor that actually prescribes the BC and antibiotics I think the doctor has a responsibility to inform the patient. My doctor talks about side effects of other drugs, this one should be an obvious one.

      The "How could I be so stupid?" could also translate to "Why didn't I know that?!"

      Delete
    3. My grandmother always taught me that when picking up a prescription always ask to consult with a pharmacist. I think she learned that the hard way.

      Delete
  7. I know that doctors do tell you any side effects a medication will have on you. Because they do have all other medications that you are taking on their system. Don't think it's a pharmacists job. Their job is to tell you when to take the prescription and what to not take it with.

    I've had a few close calls and reading this post and the previous ones reminded me of scary times. I feel like faith should think about abortion but also the side effects too. It is a scary process. I wonder what she will do!!?


    Also great job on the writing. I would like more
    Posts too but I know you are very busy. I check for updates everyday on my lunch break regardless lol. I just love reading and seeing a new post just makes my day :)

    Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  8. ^ ~ Michelle

    Sorry forgot to post my name

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just hope she doesn't lie to him anymore. -escott816

    ReplyDelete