Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Thin Red Line?

“Can you close the window?” I asked Brad.

We were sitting on his couch and he was closest to it. The breeze blowing through wasn’t helping my allergies and I was sick of sneezing. And I was getting sick of Brad, too. Every time I tried to talk about something serious, he changed the subject to his new tattoo or to how romantic it was that we told each other we loved each other over a picnic.


“What? No. It’s so hot in here. You know I don’t have an air conditioner.”

I got up and shut the window.

“Hey!” Brad yelled, he got up and opened the window.

“Are you serious?” I said angrily.

“It is boiling in here, Faith.”

“Yeah well maybe if you had spent money for an air conditioner instead of tattoos or guitars this wouldn’t be an issue!”

“What the hell is your problem!? Why are you being such a BITCH!?”

“Excuse me!? You’re the one throwing a tantrum over a WINDOW!”

“Are you on your period!? What is the deal?”

I opened my mouth to tell Brad off but I stopped.

“What, you are?”

“No.” I said quietly.

I slowly sat down on the couch and checked my phone’s calendar.

“Faith, what-”

“Shut UP, Brad. I’m checking something.”

I scrolled through my calendar and realized I didn’t have my period.

“Faith, tell me what-”

“I’m late.”

“What?”

“My period…it’s…it’s late.”

“What do you mean? How late?”

“Two weeks.”

“Is…is that normal? I thought being on the pill made it so it wasn’t late.” Brad asked.

I tried to think about other times where my period was late.

“The pill usually makes it start on time but I’ve been late before while taking it when I’ve been really stressed out. It’s…it’s never been this late before.” I said.

“How could this happen? Are you pregnant!?” Brad was pacing and breathing fast.

“I don’t know, Brad. I almost never miss a pill.”

“I’m….I’ll go buy a test. There’s a pharmacy around the corner, I’ll just go get one and then you can take it okay?”

“Okay.” I said.

Brad threw on a shirt and grabbed his keys and wallet and left me alone in his apartment. I stared at my phone in disbelief. I couldn’t figure out how this could be happening. I looked to see if I’d taken a pill late on my calendar because I use a special symbol to mark it if that happens but I’d taken it like I was supposed to.

I tried to calm myself down by drinking some water and taking deep breaths.

“It’s okay,” I said to myself, “You’re probably not pregnant. It’s okay, you’re freaking out over nothing.”

I started pacing in Brad’s kitchen and stared at the clock every few seconds. After what seemed like an eternity, Brad came bursting through the door.

“I couldn’t figure out which one to buy, I got the purple digital one.”

“Whatever.” I said ripping into the box and heading to the bathroom.

I shut the door and read the directions and then perched myself over the toilet. Then Brad walked in.

“Oh, God, Brad! Can you give me a second, please!?”

“Oh, geez!” He said covering his face and backing out the door, “YOU PEE ON IT!?”

“What did you THINK I was going to do with it?” I yelled at him through the door.

“I don’t know, just, like, stick it up-”

“Oh my God, Brad, NO!”

I put the cap on the pregnancy test and opened the door.

“We have to wait for 10 minutes.” I said.

I placed it on the sink and sat on the edge of the bathtub. Brad came and sat next to me.

"...is your birth control going to affect the results?” He asked.

“Brad, have you had any sex ed? I mean really. NO, it will not affect the pregnancy test!”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, the test looks for a special pregnancy hormone, not the estrogen and progesterone in my pills, okay?”

“Alright.”

I clasped my hands together and put them between my knees. Brad bounced is leg up and down. I looked at my phone’s clock and counted down the seconds. It was the longest ten minutes of my life.

I grabbed the test and looked down at it with Brad. We both started crying, but only one of us was crying from happiness.


20 comments:

  1. Aww hell now I freaking have to wait until Tuesday. Really!. I hope it is Faith that is happy. I feel sorry for the child though. Two immature adults that can't get their crap together. Maybe if she is pregnant. It will make her grow up faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she isn't pregnant, but I hope the chance that she could have been will make her realize she needs to grow up and end things with Brad. Hopefully this will be her wake up call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAUGH....you can't end it there! But I really hope she isn't pregnant. What a mess. Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the cliffhanger, ladies! Tuesday is going to be fun (for me).

    >:)

    -del

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damn it, del! i feel like i want to threat you with a gun to publish the next post right now! :D
      great writing!

      Delete
  5. *sigh* This is like an episode of 16 and pregnant. Except faith is 25 and only acts 16. How irresponsible and selfish of both of them. Even if she is on the pill he should wear a condom. HIV, STD's the pill doesn't protect from that! My friend did the same thing guess what she is now living on a cocktail of pills everyday because she has HIV.

    I am holding on but I really am this close to writing Faith off completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to add. Great writing. You have me so emotionally attached to Faith, that I am really really pissed at her right now. LOL

    Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed when Brad thought she had to stick the pregnancy test up her vadge! LOL

    What an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe what Faith means is that one of them was crying from major relief, rather than outright happiness (Faith?)...and also the realization that this was such a near-miss, with major changes that need to happen. It would be a different kind of crying than actual "happiness", like kind of a release of built-up tension and excess emotion or something, with slightly hysterical, stressed-out tears. That would free up Brad to shed a few tears of joy over their luck over NOT becoming parents in the near future.

    I can't imagine that either one of them would burst into sad tears over NOT being pregnant; it's also hard to buy that either one would shed tears of ecstatic happiness if Faith's test shows a positive result. Even if Brad's convinced himself that he's in for making things permanent between them (despite all the red-flags warning against that option), how many single guys his age are eager to do the whole rock-the-cradle & white picket fence deal when put on the spot, with NO warning? They're petrified of the mere thought. Temporary shock and disbelief would seem a more realistic reaction than tears of joy.

    Though, it did (briefly) occur to me that Brad could have somehow switched her pills to deliberately get Faith pregnant, but he seemed genuinely panicked and surprised in this post at the thought of that possibility. He'd have to be a *really* accomplished actor to pull off a performance that natural and convincing. How weird would THAT be?

    Don't be pregnant, Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gawd don't be pregnant. Don't have a baby with this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason I think it's going to be Faith crying out of happiness that she's NOT pregnant, and Brad crying out of sadness because she's not as well. This guy seems like a bona fide crazy a$$...and I think he might feel like if they had a child together that would totally solidify the relationship. Regardless, Faith needs to have left this guy months ago! (Just reflecting, however I must add this us superb writing! I truly look forward to the Tuesday/ Thursday posts every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see Brad being upset finding out that she's not prego. I mean, he already had no qualms creating a permanent tribute to Faith on his body after only a couple of months of, let's be honest here, sleeping together (not really dating). I hope the test is negative!!

      Delete
  11. However on a side note...I think Faith is ridiculous for letting this crazy relationship go on for as long as it has. UHHH! It's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be such a nice surprise if we got a surprise post and didn't have to wait until Tuesday...hint hint

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm..with the train wreck that Faith's life has become, I can't believe Del is gonna throw a baby into the mix. Come on now. Say it isn't so.

    I think Faith's tears will be happy tears. Brad's tears, shock/relief/I don't have to get another tattoo tears. I don't think he'd be happy with a baby yet. I guess we'll see. mum

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what to guess...I'm afraid that Brad is crying happy tears because he knocked Faith up and feels like she can't get away from him now. She's crying because she knows they're not ready for a baby. I really hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If she is preggers, it could be Mike's... Lots of women get their "periods" when if fact they are actually pregnant. Hoping for this scenario if she is knocked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that possibility also; wouldn't that be an interesting plot-twist? The only thing is, Mike & Faith were supposed to have broken up for good on Valentine's Day, and probably last had sex around the 1st 10 days or so in February (so, about 3 1/2 months ago in real-time when matched up with the blog's dates). While some women still get periods while pregnant, wouldn't she have some sort of clue (for a while now) that her body wasn't quite acting the same? She'd be well into her first trimester by this point, close to her second. I've had 3 babies, am small-boned and thin (isn't Faith's frame similar to this?), and I knew within the first couple of weeks of being pregnant that my body was going through changes...even if others couldn't tell by actually looking at me. While it may take longer than that for her to notice any changes, Faith's body would *feel* and look different to HER sooner than this belated point - wouldn't it? My small-built friends tell me the same thing about their pregnancies (similar to my experience, I mean). You just really notice some things with this body type. Also, no "morning sickness" - just a jump in overall appetite to build up and ready the body for carrying a developing baby. Faith hasn't mentioned either feeling nauseous OR a need for more food; most women experience one, the other, or both at various points during the first trimester of pregnancy. Then again...not everyone is the same; maybe the extreme need for more sleep and other physical sensations aren't something Faith has been experiencing, or she could be oblivious because of all the added work and stress. That would be pretty oblivious, though.

      We'll see - maybe it's Del's way of getting Faith and Mike talking again, which would have to happen if she were pregnant with his child. There'd also be the question of *who's* the father - Mike or Brad. Nail-biter. She'd probably make a fantastic mommie, but it doesn't seem like her head's been in a good place (for some time now) to take on something like this. People who are basically *good* do tend to rise to whatever is necessary when someone else is depending on them, though. Faith is basically a good person with a loving heart and sound values, so it could be just what she needs to become the person she actually is, regardless of all this nonsense she's been engaging in on & off.

      Delete
  16. Is it Tuesday on the east coast yet?

    ReplyDelete