Monday, June 3, 2013

Mind Made

Brad wanted me to come over so we could talk some more about the pregnancy now that time had passed for us to both think about it. My first referral appointment is on Wednesday and I had already decided that I wasn’t going to tell Brad until a few days after my final appointment on Saturday. I just didn’t want him to make it more difficult than it was already going to be. I didn’t really want to talk to Brad about the pregnancy but decided to hear what he had to say, anyway, since we both had time to think about things. I knew there was an almost impossible chance I’d change my mind no matter what he said but when I eventually tell him about the abortion, I want him to at least feel like he got to have his thoughts taken into consideration before it happened.


“Hey, I made dinner! It’s a surprise though!”

“Okay.” I said smiling.

Brad walked me to his dining room table and moved my chair out for me. I sat down and put a napkin on my lap.

“I thought I’d try to make something kind of fancy for dinner.” He said putting a plate in front of me.

It had a sandwich on it.

“I made turkey Paninis with apples and brie.”

“Oh…” I said looking at it, “that’s…so great.”

Brad put his plate down on the other side of the table and sat down. He dug in but I just listlessly stared at my food.

“What’s wrong? Are you having some morning sickness?” He asked.

“No…I just, uh, can’t eat this.”

“Oh, it’s too hot?”

“No. You can’t eat brie when you’re pregnant, Brad.” I said gently.

Brad’s face fell. I felt guilty for pointing it out, especially considering that it doesn’t really matter if I put this pregnancy in jeopardy by eating certain types of cheese, considering what I’m doing on Saturday but it felt wrong to eat it. Just in case, I guess?

“Oh, well, these suck anyway.” He said throwing the Paninis in the trash, “How about macaroni and cheese?”

He was going through his cupboards, which were full of Kraft macaroni and cheese boxes, ramen noodles, and canned soups.

“Um, you know I’m not really that hungry.” I said.

“Oh. Okay. So, anyway, I’ve been thinking about our situation.”

“Okay.”

Brad pulled me up from the table and over to the couch.

“How are you feeling about it?” Brad asked, “Now that you’ve had some time to think about everything?”

“Um, I’m not feeling that positive, to be honest.”

I didn’t want to make Brad feel like I was lying to him about how I felt about everything. I didn’t want to give him the impression that I wanted this and was as excited as he was, but I didn’t want to tell Brad about the abortion because I knew he’d fight me on it and cause more problems where there were already enough.

Brad looked disappointed with my answer but didn’t let it deter him.

“Well, the more I’ve thought about it, the more I realize that we aren’t really prepared to be parents...”

I felt hopeful that maybe Brad would bring up terminating the pregnancy for a brief moment, until he kept talking.

“…But we’ve got time to get there. You know, I can sign us up for parenting classes, I can rent some baby books from the library for us to read. We can get ready. So I don’t want you to feel worried about that.”

“I’m not worried about that.” I said.

Brad picked up my hand and held it in his before looking deep into my eyes.

“I know this is not ideal. I know you probably never imagined that this would be how you had a kid. It’s not how I imagined it either, but I want you to know that I support you and I will be there through it all.”

I decided to test the waters a bit.

“Do you really mean that?”

“Of course I do.”

“What if I don’t want to do this? What if I want to put it up for adoption?”

Brad dropped my hand and looked angry. But his voice was cold when he spoke.

“I’m not putting my kid up for adoption. I can’t believe you’d even suggest that. We’re its parents, Faith, and we’d be the best thing for it. I don’t want it to be raised by strangers, it should be raised by us, together, as a family. It'll be scary and hard work, Faith, but we'll always have each other to lean on through it. Would you really want to go through childbirth knowing it would be for nothing?”

If I’d had any doubts before this (I didn't, for the record), Brad solidified my decision. He saw this pregnancy as an opportunity to keep himself tethered to me and was completely unwilling to listen to any semblance of reason. This is my LIFE. It is not a bad 80’s song where Brad and I are gonna make it by just barely getting by all the time. 

That’s not what I want.

“I guess not.” I said quietly, "What about abortion? Then it wouldn't be raised by strangers..."

Brad's eyes got huge and he looked deranged.

"Don't even joke about that Faith! That's, obviously not an option. I'd never let you kill my baby."

Brad put his hand on my stomach which made me very uncomfortable. It's like he saw me as an incubator for his child and not a person with feelings.

"I didn't know you were against that." I muttered.

Brad looked up from my stomach.

"I'm not against it for other people. But you and I made this thing together. It's not an option for us."

I hated how Brad was acting like he had an equal stake in this situation because he doesn't. I'm the one that would have to give birth, I'm the one who would have to go through the pregnancy, I'm the one who'd have to move out of my apartment, and I'm the one who'd have to pretend to be happy about it all. Not "us", not "we". And I'd eventually be the one left to care for it when Brad decided he didn't want to be in the picture anymore, I mean, let's be honest, this relationship isn't going to last the next 18 years. Brad will get the sweetest end of the stick in this situation; he'll get to see the kid every other weekend and on certain holidays and play dad while I get to work at Bruno's for the rest of my life and be the full-time mom, dad, disciplinarian, and provider. Brad is clearly excited about this pregnancy but having visions of being a parent is not the same as actually being a parent and I have no faith in Brad that parenting is something he would be good at or be around for long-term; I've known him long enough to know that he is too immature to be a parent, at least in this situation.

But I kept my mouth shut because his responses had confirmed just how right I was not to tell him before it happened. And his responses just confirmed that this was the best choice, not just for me, but for him as well. He won't see it that way at first, but he'll eventually see it with time, and if I have to be the one who grows up and deals with this, then I will do that for both of us and he can hate me for it as long as he needs.

“I have to go, I told Molly I’d get the kitchen cleaned up by the time she got home tonight.” I said getting up to leave.

“Molly is making you clean? In your condition?”

“She doesn’t know yet,” I lied, “And it’s not like I’m super fragile, Brad. I can handle emptying the dishwasher and wiping down the counters. Geez. This isn’t Victorian England.”

"Why haven't you told her yet? Surely you've told Anna and Zoey?"

"No." I said.

"Why?" Brad seemed suddenly defensive.

"Because, traditionally, you wait to tell people once the first trimester is over..."

"Why?" Brad asked like he was giving me the third degree.

"Because the risk of miscarrying is really high in the first trimester and a lot of people don't want to get excited and tell all of their friends and family only to miscarry and have to explain to everyone what happened."

"Oh." He said holding the door open for me.

Brad gave me a kiss on the cheek before I left.

35 comments:

  1. Maybe she could tell Brad she had a miscarriage instead? I mean, get the abortion, but if it were me personally, to save myself from any threat (and Brad's reaction to abortion makes it seem like he would maybe try to hurt her once he finds out she aborted) I would lie and tell him I miscarried.. she just opened that door by telling him people do that in the first trimester (and that wasn't a lie)

    Just my two cents..

    KBear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. She saw how crazy he would get if she told him she got him an abortion, so for her own safety she should just tell him she miscarried.

      Delete
    2. I mean 'got an abortion' not got him one. oops

      Delete
    3. Haha, considering how Brad is acting like HE'S carrying this baby I think your typo of "got him an abortion" isn't far off!

      Delete
    4. I thought the exact same thing - if she says she miscarried, what can he do? Better yet, she should have ate the sandwich, then say she miscarried because of the Brie.

      Delete
    5. If Brad thought he killed the baby, he'd probably go into a deep depression or do something stupid.

      Delete
  2. When is this gonna be over? OMGosh! Brad scares me. He really does. She needs to sever all ties with this whackadoo. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad seems really unstable. I wonder why Faith isn't picking up on that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, she needs to tell him she miscarried. He is very unstable and will probably try to hurt her if she tells him the truth. This is one crazy pup she is dealing with...I am surprised he is still allowing her to live with Molly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez Brad. It's like hearing a psychopathic 5 year old reason. "That's not an option for us." Way to consider the reality of this situation Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of brie, did anyone get a big red flag go up when Faith didn't want to eat it. I did. I hope that even if Faith keeps the baby it is far away from Brad. He is too creepy for words to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also to add I think Brad is going to tell Anna and Zoey as another manipulation. He want's people to know so Faith will be stuck. He probably knows that if a lot of people know she will be too ashamed to go through with an abortion.

      Brad really skeeves me out. Yuck.

      Delete
    2. The brie thing was a little red flag for me too, but I also think it's a natural thought process to think that way once you're pregnant (I wouldn't know). Because what happens if something happens and you don't go through with the procedure? Who knows - I hope it doesn't mean she's changing her mind.

      Brad is a control freak psycho. I'm more than a little annoyed with Faith that things got this far - she should never have gotten involved with him past booty call stage. Such a horrible idea.

      Delete
    3. Faith isn't going to change her mind, there are three huge clues hinting at that. The first is the title of this post. The second is when she says there's nothing Brad could say that would change her mind. And the last is when she said that Brad's responses to her "testing the waters" solidified her decision.

      I think a snowball has a higher chance in hell than Faith changing her mind.

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree she should use the miscarriage route. I can see Brad starting a new fire so she'd be dependent on him and move in with him. I never would have done the fake girlfriend thing, but I definitely would've ran at the tattoo incident. If she had gotten out then, he'd never have known she was pregnant. I'm glad she realizes he would not be the person she wants in her life forever. Are we ever going to find out who did set the fire where she met Mike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it Mike himself to get to meet Faith? Lol. I actually hope it isn't Sean, please let it be crazed Brad.
      About the abortion thing I was going to say she should tell him before she does it and not after but the miscarriage route was a better idea and the thought did cross my mind before for like a second but that has gotten me to revisit that idea. The safest choice to me. Brad is stalker for real.

      Delete
    2. Man, you guys are SUPER interested about that fire.

      :)

      The truth will come out about who set it and how they relate to Faith (or if they relate to Faith at all), unfortunately, that won't be for awhile.

      Fun fact! That particular storyline has changed about 4 times since I first introduced it. I've finally settled on a plot that I like and it actually leads to a significant portion of Faith's life that I've had planned since the very first post of this blog. It's just taking longer to get there than I thought it would. A LOT longer.

      When we get through this most recent storyline in about a week, I'll post another fun fact, specifically about this particular plot point.

      -del

      Delete
  8. i think she should tell him about the abortion then he will hate her enough to break up with her hopefully. or use the miscarry story and she can break up with him n say that she is too depressed to be with him knowing what happened. and then never sleep with him again because he is going to keep trying to knock her up. he is that crazy. and after all she went thru with whats his name ? kevin? the crazy boss why would she even put herself in a situation like this.
    ~Renee Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Del -

    You are a super tease! I just wanna take you and shake you - and I mean that as a compliment! mum

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think she should lie about the abortion. She has lied to this man so many times he is now psychotic and dilusional! I know he was kinda whacky before but he's so far from reality because Faith keeps telling him what he wants to hear beacuse it easier! Tell the truth! Over the phone if you have to to feel safe, and then get a restraining order! And for the record, Adoption is a very real option. Lots of women, even in today's time do not believe in abortion. Adoption is a blessing to at least 3 people instantly. There is a pregnant woman out there that cannot raise a child, a loving mother that cannot give birth, and an innocent child that needs love AND financial support. Adoption can provide all of this for the women that feel guilt over abortion. -escott816

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith obviously isn't one of those women and she's not obligated to stay pregnant because someone else can't get pregnant. It's her body. It's her choice. If someone wants a kid so badly, they can go adopt one of the over 3,000 kids that are available to be adopted every year and aren't.

      Faith doesn't appear to feel any hesitation or guilt over getting the abortion, especially now after talking with Brad. And in order for her to even pursue adoption, Brad would have to sever his parental rights, which he obviously isn't willing to do. Getting a restraining order against him doesn't stop him from having parental rights that can prevent an adoption from going through. It's just not that simple.

      And, psychologically, adoption has a much more traumatizing effect on the pregnant woman than abortion does. I think we can all agree Faith doesn't need THAT to deal with on top of all her other problems.

      Delete
    2. I don't see why adoption is so out of the question. I'm actually frustrated she hasn't explored this option with more thought. Perhaps it's a sign of her immaturity.

      And your comment about there being an excess of kids to adopt is misleading because there is a shortage of babies in the adoption world. It is hard to adopt a baby because there just isn't enough available. There might be a lot of children needing to be adopted, but not babies.

      I'm really curious about paternal rights in New York. I know the rights of the father differ from state to state and I wonder if Brad has any.

      Delete
    3. Why does it matter what age a child is? Is a 7 year old less valuable than a baby to a couple who desperately wants a kid?

      They'll have a kid either way. They'll be parents either way. So, again, they can go adopt one of the MANY children who went unadopted this year if they want one bad enough. Expecting a woman to go through a pregnancy she obviously does not want to go through because they want a kid SO BADLY and think she is obligated to give them that is selfish. And it's asking a lot more in regard to sacrifice than just sucking it up and adopting a 3 year old that is already born and in desperate need of a family. Why demand that ANOTHER kid be brought into the world when so many already need families? Just because they're older? As if that somehow justifies forcing a woman to go through a pregnancy because someone ELSE can't get pregnant.

      Faith doesn't live in New York. Her brother does. We've never been told where exactly Faith lives, just that it's a big city.

      And I don't see why everyone is assuming that Faith didn't consider ALL of her options. This woman spent five days thinking about what to do by herself. I think it's silly that so many of you don't think she thought about it. Coming to the conclusion of getting an abortion and all of the posts after that have demonstrated how much Faith has thought about this. This post, alone, shows how much she thought about her situation. She came to the decision that was best FOR HER.

      Because that is who she needs to think about. She's allowed to think about herself in all of this. She's not obligated to stay pregnant for some hypothetical couple who wants her fetus because the thought of adopting and raising a 6 year old is just unacceptable to them.

      Delete
    4. Faith does not live in New York.

      -del

      Delete
    5. Whoa. All I said was that the statistic about having an excess of kids needing adoption was misleading, not that Faith should give her baby up for adoption because someone may want her baby. Obviously that kind of logic is screwed up. but thanks/no thanks for completely putting words in my mouth with your assumptions.

      And to say that people who can't have kids should adopt a three year old instead of a baby because it's 'easier' or because there's more of them is probably the most insensitive thing to say to an infertile couple. The "beggars can't be choosers" mentality doesn't apply here. And to place judgement on a couple who choose to adopt a baby rather than a toddler or child just shows what kind of a narrow-minded person you are.

      Delete
    6. It's not misleading to say that there are thousands of kids who need to be adopted. Just because they aren't infants doesn't mean that's misleading. The only reason you think that, as well as tons of infertile couples who could easily adopt an older child (compared to an infant)but don't, is because society doesn't see those children to be as valuable as a baby, or as them being as "legitimate" of a child because you didn't raise them up from infancy. That is why there is a shortage of babies who need to be adopted instead of older children...because the older you are as an adoptable child (and darker, and more disabled) the less valuable you are and the less likely it is for you to be adopted. Because most people who desperately want kids and go the adoption route will only do so if they can get an infant because they think it makes them more legitimate parents.

      I'm not narrow-minded. That's the reality and I say that as someone who WAS adopted. Luckily, I was adopted as an infant and I'm white and didn't have any disabilities at the time, so I didn't have to sit in an orphanage for years waiting for someone to adopt me, like so many children do.

      If people want to be parents and can't because of infertility they can be parents of an older child, too. Adopting an infant is not the end all, be all of parenting. Adopting an infant doesn't make someone a more legitimate parent than those who adopt an older kid. It's that exact kind of thinking that has led to so many children waiting around to be adopted while prospective parents want an infant so badly they'd rather go to a country with laxer adoption rules to adopt a baby that may have been put up for adoption by it's biological parents or just stolen from them under various scams by adoption agencies. But it all works out! Cause they got a baby and not a toddler!

      Delete
    7. I adopted a 4 year old. I don't understand how it is insensitive to say why doesn't a infertile couple adopt a 3 year old. I think it is a valid question. Is it insensitive because you assume the poster is not infertile? I am infertile. I was in a horrible car accident and had a full hysterectomy at 22 years old while I was in college. No chance of ever carrying a child in my body. So now I am asking why can't a couple who is barren adopt a 3 year old?

      Delete
    8. And to add I think it is ridiculous and insensitive to judge a woman in the situation of unexpected pregnancy for not going the adoption route. Some people just are not strong enough.

      Delete
    9. "So now I am asking why can't a couple who is barren adopt a 3 year old?"

      The question is not why can't, but why we shouldn't judge those who desire to adopt a baby and not a toddler, which is what the above commenter did. Just like to have an abortion is not our place to judge, no one should judge another's family make-up.

      Delete
    10. Exactly...very well-put, and I completely agree. People like to pick & choose what to be non-judgemental about, including subjects that many have very strong feelings about one way or the other. Couples who want an infant-aged child are no more or less entitled to their own preferences than, say, Faith is for choosing the option she's decided on (abortion). The truth is...most people aren't nearly as objective and impartial about subjects near-and-dear to them as they expect others to be about any number of Life areas. It's an intensely personal and subjective subject (issues surrounding children & birth, parenthood, pro-life vs. pro-choice, etc.); what's "right" for one is "wrong" for another.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad someone said something about adoption. I don't think that is the route Faith will take, but I have a really hard time with the subject as I have too many people that I love that can't get pregnant or have a very difficult time doing so. Plus, I have a 2 month old that put me through the ringer health-wise for the entire 9 months I was pregnant and since she's been here, and I would hope that she wouldn't have to deal with something like that either. I hope that she miscarries and doesn't have to go through with the abortion as I could see it coming back and haunting her as she has a tendency to not let things go. I could see her doing something stupid because she gets depressed or whatnot.

    And Brad gives me the creeps! I wanted her to smack his hand when he touched her belly. Bleh! Please, please please get him out of her life asap! He is a psychopath!

    Great writing Del! I just wish we could have some conclusions to these little story lines... I can hardly wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Faith refusing to eat brie could make a "miscarriege" scenario more believable to Brad, like she was actually taking care of her pregnancy but the tragedy just happened. In the other hand, Brad could accuses/blames Faith for it, or insists on staying with Faith to face the tragedy "together" then using it to keep Faith even tighter in his grip.

    I personally hoping for a "honesty is the best policy" plot tough..

    Great writing Del!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the honesty route.
    Yeah lying would be easier but that doesn't seem to have worked out so well for Faith so far...
    This is just such a horrible situation to be in ... poor Faith.

    Looking forward to tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete