Monday, June 9, 2014

Ohio Bound

Adam and I hadn’t talked since I left his apartment in the middle of the night besides a text he’d sent me the morning after:
    
           I know you need time and I’ll give you some space. –A

I kept going back to reread it periodically since then, I’m not sure why. I found myself on Zoey’s couch with the girls sitting around me.

“I feel like there’s no good solution to this.” I said looking into my cup of tea.

“That’s because there’s not.” Molly said.

“Would doing a long distance relationship really be that impossible?” Zoey asked.

I was sick of this question. It was one I’d been asking myself repeatedly over the past few days and it’s also one Adam, Zoey, and Molly had all brought up, too. I sighed.

“I know it’s not ideal.” She said, “But you and Adam are in a really good place. You guys have a strong relationship and you’re both committed to each other. Your relationship is in the best possible shape to try a long distance thing.”

“Yeah, plus, you’re used to this kind of stuff what with your dad being in the military when you were a kid and your brother.” Molly added.

“That’s different, though. When they would be deployed we knew that it wasn’t forever. It would be different if Adam had a timeline or something for how long he’d be out there.” I said, “But he doesn’t. For all we know this is a permanent position, it’s not like they said he could work there for a year or two and then be guaranteed a position here. Maybe if there was a deadline it would be easier to do long distance…at least then there would be a known light at the end of the tunnel.”

I looked back down at my tea grimly. I had a light at the end of the tunnel with Sean and it didn’t help us get through him being away. His tour was only supposed to last for a year at the most, we didn’t even make it six months before everything came crashing down. Zoey spoke as if she’d read my mind.

“Adam isn’t Sean, Faith.”

My eyes flashed up at her.

“You need to give him more credit.” Molly added.

“You know…when Sean and I were together, I was never worried he’d cheat on me. And when he’d told me what he’d done, I was blindsided.” I said it more to myself than Molly or Zoey.

They shared a serious look and then turned their attention back to me.

“Maybe you need to talk to him.” Molly said.

“I’m not ready to yet.”

“Faith, you can’t just sit here and run through what you want to do and then show up a week later and tell him the decision you’ve made. This is something you both need to figure out. Together.” Zoey said gently.

“Does it really matter? Any decision we make is going to suck.” I said bitterly.

I’ll be honest, I was slightly angry with Adam for even putting me in this position. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. He was only supposed to interview for jobs here. And then for him to say that he wouldn’t take the job if I told him not to? To put that decision about his career in MY hands? I get angrier the more I think about it.

“What if he turned it down? Tell him not to take it.” Molly suggested.

“Why? So he can resent me for being the bitch girlfriend who told him to turn down his dream job?”

Molly held up her palms in surrender.

“Besides,” I said bristling, “He had to give them an answer this morning and he accepted it. He’ll be gone in a week and a half.”

“And you can’t go with him?” Zoey asked.

I gave her a pointed look.

“I’m under a five year contract.”

“But if you weren’t, would you go?”

I didn’t like her question and I didn’t see the point in asking questions that didn’t reflect the reality of the situation. I couldn’t afford to break my contract with The Glass Penny; I would have to pay a ton of money in order to do that and I liked having a positive balance in my savings account.

“But I am, so I can’t.” I replied coolly.

We went around in circles for the rest of the afternoon before Molly and I said our good byes. Molly left to go meet Calvin for a movie and I headed home. Adam was sitting on our front stoop.

“Hey.” He said, “I know I said I’d give you space…”

“It’s fine, we should talk.” I sighed and led him up to my apartment.

“I accepted the job offer this morning.” He said as I leaned against our kitchen island.

I had expected it. I knew it was coming. But it still hurt. I nodded sadly.

“I’m so happy for you.” I meant it even though I was struggling to hold back tears.

Adam leaned against the kitchen counter opposite me and crossed his arms. I looked away from him to try and hide my eyes filling up with tears.

“This doesn’t have to change a lot for us.” He said looking at me.

“How can you say that?” I looked at him fiercely, “You aren’t going to be living here. Of course it’s going to change. Stop pretending like this isn’t that big of a deal because it is for ME, even if it’s not for you.”

I let my anger come out after trying to hold it in for days.

“Whoa, that’s not-”

“You just dropped this on me! And I can’t even be angry at you for it because it’s your dream job! And then you tell me that if I say ‘no’ you won’t take it!? How is that even fair!? NONE of this is fair and I’m not just losing you, I’m losing my best friend, and right after Anna-”

I started crying; full-on ugly sobbing. Adam walked forward and put his arms around me. I feebly tried to push him away and ended up just weakly banging my fists on his chest as he held me and patted the back of my head.

“It’s not fucking fair!” I said sobbing into his shirt.

He held me like that for a long time before pulling away and cupping my face. He looked into my eyes seriously and I tried to look away but he followed my eyes with his.

“I don’t want you to think that this isn’t that big of a deal to me. I’m freaking out about this just as much as you are, okay?”

I sniffled and then nodded and crossed my arms.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled as I wiped my nose with the back of my hand (I know…so attractive) and looked away, “What are we going to do?”

I looked up at him meekly He pushed me up so I would sit on the counter and then stood there between my thighs. He sighed and then put his forehead against mine.

“I think our only option is to do this long distance.” I looked up and started crying again and shook my head; his voice came quicker and with a higher sense of urgency, “I’ll continue to look for a job here in the city while I’m there so this doesn’t have to be permanent.”

“Adam, you’ve had a hard enough time finding something here and you live here right now. It will be even more difficult to find something here when you’re from out of town and you KNOW that.”

He sighed with frustration and then put his hands on my hips.

“Faith, I’m really trying here, okay? All I’m asking you to do is try it. For us. For what we have.”

I closed my eyes and let my head drop.

“For me.” He said quietly.

I looked up at him and nodded wearily.

“Okay.” I said quietly.

He smiled at me and cupped my face with one hand and kissed me. I kissed him back.

“It’s going to be okay.” He said, “You’ll see. We’ll figure something out and it’ll be okay.”

I nodded and hugged him but I didn’t feel as sure about it as he did.

(Author's note: the Character Guide pages has been updated with descriptions of the new characters introduced since the last update in January. -del)

19 comments:

  1. Two things....I'm over faith bringing up sean. Sean was a jerk and if she keeps letting him rule her life she'll never get anywhere. It's time to let it go.
    Second she's being a real jerk to adam acting like this job and move are all about her. She's becoming bitter and resentful and it's not a good look on her. Adam has always done his very best by faith and if she can't see it then she doesn't deserve him anyway. Faith needs to grow up, stop acting like a child, and try to think of ways this can work instead of pouting and acting like the whole world is against her and there are no options. Great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Faith needs to stop being bitter. She should be happy for Adam and if she can't believe that their relationship could work long distance, then she needs to stop believing in it altogether. Adam is not Sean and she needs to stop comparing the two situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why in the character guide, under Adam, does it say that "Adam and Faith dated briefly?" Is this a hint that you're going to break them up because that makes me so sad :( I really want them to stay together and was hoping they would last!! I love Adam and Faith together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my phone so I'm not in my actual account but this is del. (I'll confirm when I get to a computer that this is me).

      Don't read too much into that. I updated that particular sentence awhile ago when they were just starting to date and forgot to change it. Six months doesn't fall under the definition of "briefly" for me but in hindsight I should have chosen a better way to phrase that sentence so it reflects the present rather than some weird passive tense that makes things confusing and weird. I'll change it when I get home. (The character guide is hard to edit and keep up with so there's probably more confusing things in there, sorry).

      -del

      Delete
    2. No need to confirm its you, I believe you! And thank you for clearing that up! I was really confused, but your reasoning makes sense. Thanks del :)

      Delete
  4. Maybe talking to Sean will give her the closure she needs so she can stop letting him rule her life. I don't think she'll ever be ready, but it needs to be done. And I've always had a morbid curiosity to how he, his kid and the kid's mom are doing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had that same curiosity too! I know he was a jerk and all but he was around for awhile and I'd like to hear what he's up to

      Delete
  5. I don't really understand why everyone is saying Faith is being selfish. I think it was made pretty clear in this post why she's upset (which she has every right to be unhappy about this situation btw): she doesn't want to lose another person she is very close with and there is no guarantee that a LDR will work with Adam. She's scared and that's okay.

    Talking about your feelings honestly and openly with your significant other isn't selfish. This blog is from Faith's point of view, so we only get to see her feelings spelled out here and I think a few people are confusing that with her being selfish.

    I also think that a lot of people are giving Adam passes like they do with Mike. Adam isn't perfect. He didn't even really consult her about this before he took the offer he just said he was taking it. There was no discussion from him outside of him saying that if she said no he wouldn't take it (which isn't fair, imho). Not to mention when he was angry with Faith for days because she didn't want him to write a book about a very personal, traumatic event that she was involved in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber might have been stalking Faith but all the trauma happened to Adam, he almost died so the story was his to tell, not Faith's. And it's the fact that she freaks out over everything and makes it all about herself. He doesn't really have to consult anything with her when she's not going to try and come with a solution of her own. Faith just wants it her way or no way when Adam always tries to do the right thing by her. Adam is saying that he will continue looking for a job back in the city to be able to come back with her, but faith won't even consider leaving to be with him or trying to make it work.

      Delete
    2. Adam was critically injured but Faith and Molly were both injured too. Not as bad as Adam was but it's not like it wasn't traumatic for them. And you can't really say that Faith was overreacting because Molly felt the same way to the point where they had to move to feel safe again. You can't just write off the fact that Faith was stalked for years as her freaking out about everything. It's not like Amber tried to kill Adam in a lover's spat, she was in his life because of her obsession with Faith. That's not an insignificant part of the story. Adam doesn't own the rights to that story, it's as much Faith's story and Molly's story as it is his.


      And what post did you read? Because the one I read ended with Faith agreeing to try a LDR. She is willing to try. She just won't abandon her career for a dude she's only been dating for a few months due to being under contract. That's not unreasonable. I think she's allowed to be sad that her boyfriend is leaving and she's allowed to say so. I didn't realize having feelings was suddenly selfish.

      Delete
    3. Calm down. No one is saying that she's not allowed to have feelings. All the previous poster is suggesting is that Faith always makes everything to be about her.

      If this is Adam's dream job, then yes, he should take it if he wants to. He doesn't really owe Faith anything. They've only been dating for 6 months and if they're meant to be, they're meant to be. Instead of not feeling sure about the whole long distance thing and getting bitter about Adam taking the job, she could just be positive for once and give it a try. She compares every situation to the relationship she had with Sean and unless she stops doing that, she shouldn't be in any relationship.

      I definitely think she is coming across as very selfish and I've noticed that when things don't go her way, she gets very bitter and very rude - especially to her friends. I remember when Sean cheated on her and she and Zoey talked about it the very next day, she lashed out and got angry at Zoey when the latter suggested ending the relationship. Faith gets very mad very fast and she should looking into controlling her anger - she and Sean are very similar in this way.

      Delete
  6. as well, even if she wanted to move for the relationship, she can't. She's under contract for the next five years. She can't relocate because it's specifically the Glass Penny that shes in contract to, so she can't up and leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Faith is very selfish. She brings up Sean, even though he was such an ass hole to her.
    I'm glad she agreed to try long distance, but I don't feel like she is going to give it all she has.
    Great post, though, and I'm excited as always for the next one!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I heard somewhere this blog is coming to an end. Is this true??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did anyone else read the character guide and notice that Anna's does not say deceased? ... For a second I was a little hopeful and then made me tear up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did that on purpose. I know a lot of people are being newly introduced to this blog and may read the character guide as they go and I didn't want to put a ton of spoilers in the character guide in an effort not to ruin the story for new readers. I still have a lot of work to do on that front.

      -del

      Delete
  10. And so the saga of faith being a giant baby continues.

    ReplyDelete