Thursday, June 19, 2014

He Is Worth It

Adam and I planned to have a quiet dinner together the night before he was supposed to drive a moving truck to his new apartment in Cincinnati. We had just finished packing up almost everything (his bed would be packed in the morning) and were deciding on what we wanted to eat. I hadn’t been looking forward to this night at all.

We decided to order in pasta from an Italian place about 20 minutes away. When it arrived, I mostly just picked at my penne. We were sitting on the floor with our plates sitting on a box.

“You’re really quiet.” Adam said.

I shrugged.

He studied my face like he wanted to say something but wasn’t sure if he should. He shook his head and moved his linguine around his plate.

“Go ahead. Say it.” I said quietly.

“You’ve been really quiet ever since my going away party.” He said, “What’s going on?”

I put my fork down deliberately. This was a conversation I’d never wanted to have but I knew it was going to happen before he left and it was finally time. I took a deep breath and a short beat before I looked up into his eyes.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about us and you moving and I don’t want to try this long distance. I can’t do that again.” My voice wavered but never broke.

Adam looked confused and then hurt.

“You’re just nervous, Faith. That’s normal, it’s-”

“This isn’t nerves, Adam. I’ve given this a lot of thought since you told me the job was in Ohio. I wanted to try long distance but I just…I can’t. You’ve never been in a long distance relationship before and I-”

Adam shook his head and laughed.

“I can’t believe I never realized it. I was stupid not to. This is about Sean, isn’t it? I’m not going to cheat on you, Faith!”

I gave a frustrated sigh.

“I’m not worried you’ll cheat on me, Adam. This is so, so much...bigger....than that. But, yes, it’s about Sean.” I could tell by his reaction that he hadn’t expected me to admit it, “It’s about the fact that he and I were completely different people after we tried to be a long distance couple. I can’t become that person again and I don’t want you to become a different person, either. Not for the worse, anyway.”

“I’m not him.” He said.

He stood up and I followed.

“I know you're not. I'm not comparing you to him,” I put my hand on the side of his face, “you’re such a good person, Adam. I don’t want you to become a bitter and resentful person like Sean did. I don’t want to dread your visits home. And I don’t want to become that girl again. I would rather end this now than watch us slowly become miserable shells of people we don't know.”

Adam was quiet for a moment. His hands rested on his hips and he looked at the ground and shook his head.

“You were on board with this. What changed?” He shrugged lamely and looked at me trying to understand.

“I talked to Penny. She told me how she and Dan had handled being apart and I felt better about our situation after that. She said that all I needed to do was ask myself if you were worth trying long distance for.”

“And you decided that I’m not?” He looked like he was about to cry and I felt my heart start to break.

“No, you are. You so are. But I’m not.”

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“You said something to me the night of your party. You said that you would quit your job if it looked like we weren’t going to be able to handle being apart.” He nodded, “But I’m not worth that. And I realized that if I didn’t end this before you left, you would ruin your future for me. And I am not worth that.”

“I think that’s a decision I get to make. If you’re worth it or not. And I say you are. We could at least try-

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around myself.

“I know how this road goes. And, more importantly, I know myself and I know how I will feel with you so far away. By the time we realize that it’s not working, it will be too far gone to fix and you’ll quit your job to come home to save a relationship that no longer exists because the people who were in it no longer exist.”

A tear ran down my cheek and I wiped it away quickly.

“I don’t understand…you….you don’t love me anymore?” I had blindsided him with this and I hated myself for it.

“No, I do. I love you so much that I’m going to let you go so that you can go on and have the career you’ve worked so hard for and waited so long for. Because I love you and I want you to be happy and giving your job up for me a few months down the road because I can't handle you being gone won't make you happy.”

"Neither will ending what we have." He stepped toward me and put his hands on my arms.

I sighed and closed my eyes. This was painful for both of us but it was the right thing to do.

"You'll be unhappy for a little while, but you'll move on."

He shook his head as if he was offended I would even suggest that he'd be able to move on.

“I won’t go. If it means I’m going to lose you, then I’m just going to call them and tell them I’m not going. Where’s my phone?”

He started pacing around the living room looking for it. I stopped him by gently touching his arm.

“You’ve already lost me.” It was almost physically painful for me to say those words.

He stopped cold and looked at me as if he hadn't heard me and then with disbelief. Another tear fell down my cheek which I wiped away quickly. His face went from disbelief to painful realization.

“I love you…” His voice broke and he looked at me with so much hurt in his eyes.

He hugged me but when I didn't hug him back and tried to gently break away, he slid down to his knees so his face was buried in my abdomen. Hot tears sprung to my eyes and I felt like I was going to vomit. My hands were shaking with adrenaline as I put them on his shoulders and head and tried not to sob.

“Adam, I’m sorry.” My voice broke and I lost all control of my emotions.

He looked up at me with tears running down his face and scrambled to stand up.

“You don’t have to do this.” He pleaded. The sound of sadness in his voice stabbed me with each word.

He cupped my face with his hands and frantically searched my eyes.

“Don’t do this.” He begged.

I closed my eyes and put my hands over his. I felt his lips push against mine desperately and I kissed him back. For a moment he had convinced me. We could try it. We could make it work. We could be together. But then rationality came back to me and I gently pushed him away. I wouldn’t be the reason Adam didn't take this job. I wouldn’t be the reason he became a completely different person. I couldn’t go back to who I used to be; insecure and nasty and cruel. I would not allow our relationship...me to make him miserable like it...I did with Sean.

“I should go.” I said quietly, “You have to leave early tomorrow morning...”

I walked to his door and stared at him sadly. He was standing in the middle of his dim, empty apartment with tears running down his face and so much sadness in his eyes.

“I love you, Adam and I’m so sorry, but...it's over.”

I turned into his dim hallway and felt my heart shatter as the door closed behind me.

48 comments:

  1. NOOOOO WHYYYYYY DAMMIT FAITH!!!!!!!!!!! HE LOVES YOU. IT CAN WORK!!!!!!! Why?!?!?!?!?! Ahhhhhh I felt my heart just shatter in a million pieces... I thought that when her and Mike broke up it was bad... This is a million times worse because they were perfect for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, you are making one hell of a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she might be making a mistake but it's because she's not ready for it.

      I don't think it's a discussion over whether long-distance is bad or not. I mean, in that case we could even just broaden it and ask whether a relationship is bad or not! There are failure rates at both ends, close and long distance, and I think the issue it the personalities involved, as much as the outside circumstances and your maturity/time of your life at the moment.

      That being said, she will regret it, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision for her, at the moment.

      That's my take at least!

      http://poetsandheartbreakers.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. I like it. I feel like the story will go one of two ways.
    1.They really do break up (what happens down the road, I don't know)
    2.He shows up at her place the next day saying he turned down the job.
    Either one would be interesting. That being said, this post reminds me of the discussion I had with my now husband, a little over three years ago. He was moving, and ocean and country away and wanted to do long distance. I was doing that break up because it's best thing, but he suckered me into trying long distance. Clearly it worked for us, we've been married two years. But having everything work out for Faith so easily wouldn't make a very intersting story, would it?

    http://thecrazyobservatory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Self destruct initiated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beyond upset. He is the one she should be with. This is the best relationship she has ever been in. I really hope they end up back together, either he ends up at her place the next day or she realizes what a mistake she made and goes to win him back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me want to stop reading this blog. I think this is ridiculous. Apparently Faith has bigger issues than relationships such as why she thinks so little of herself. She is so self destructive and thank goodness she isn't real because I would have a hard time respecting her because she makes such stupid decisions. What she did was cruel. Way to send Adam off that way. She was right, she is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Hate this post. What is she doing.
      I hote Adam finds someone better and makes a wonderful life with her and later on Faith runs into him and regrets doing what she did.
      She is totally dumb for doing this.

      Delete
  7. I really think she did the best thing for her. I know most will disagree. but I see her point in who she turned into when her and Sean did the long distance thing. Even though Adam wouldn't cheat on her like Sean did if she knows she became a different person (not in a good way) then its better to end it now then change them both or him give up his dream job to try to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a firm believer in not asking or expecting something of your partner that you know you wouldn't be willing or able to do for them. She did the right thing if she's not mature or confident enough to even try and make it work. Some people just aren't built for long distance. How many military relationships break apart because one or the other of them just don't have what it takes?

    That being said, (and I know I'm so the minority on this...), I hope he doesn't throw this job opportunity away, because sooner or later he WILL resent her for it, even if he doesn't say it out loud. Maybe he'll leave and she'll realize having something with him (even long distance) is better than having nothing at all, maybe the job won't work out for some other reason and he'll come back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's unfair to say that Faith is being self destructive by ending things with Adam. She did this so she *wouldn't* be the person she was with Sean. She has enough understanding of who she is to know being long distance with Adam would be destructive for both of them because she wouldn't be able to handle it. If anything this response of hers seems self preserving to me rather than destructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes very little sense. She doesn't know who she would be in this particular relationship because she didn't even try it out. She is not the same person she was with Sean, and Adam sure as heck isn't anyone like she ever dated before. By far this is probably the healthiest relationship she has ever been in. She is self destructing before she has to actually work at a long distance thing. Accepting defeat because of fear.

      Delete
  10. This is ridiculous! Beyond ridiculous! I just did long distance for almost two years, and we even got ENGAGED in the middle of the long distance. AND we actually grew closer and stronger as a couple through the long distance. I am so sick of this idea that "long distance never works". If it is the right person, and you care enough to try, it can and will work. It is so stupid to be saying they will automatically become different people just because they can't see each other every day. I guess Faith really is that immature, and she really doesn't deserve Adam. I just cannot stand her sometimes.... I feel like she makes the most irrational decisions with her life so often. Pleaseeeee have her wake up and realize how not smart this was and make them work out. Please redeem Faith!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a long distance relationship for a year and 7 months before we got married. With all the technology it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. We would Skype, facetime etc.. and made sure we set a few hours every single day to do that. we would also visit each other every time we had a chance. It actually made our love stronger.
    I get that Faith thinks she isnt cut out for it, but she didnt really made it clear to Adam that she thinks SHE will change. She made it seem that they will both change to the worse, that long distance wont work for sure for them. I just think that she should have told him that she isnt cut out for it, and not that he isnt cut out for it too. It was like she knows what's going to happen in the future, which really doesnt make sense since every relationship is different (he isnt Sean, their relationship is based on friendship, theyve known each other for a very lomg time and remained friends, etc...)
    It just didnt make sense to me that she would base her decision on how she became when she was with Sean

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I'm TOTALLY in the minority, but I'm not that upset since I didn't like them together anyway.

    That being said, I think Faith knows her limitations. She knows what she can give and what she needs in a relationship. If she believes it, it is. If she doesn't think it will work, it won't. She just doesn't have that extra oomph (sp?) to get out of her comfort zone. Both sides have to be willing and she clearly wasn't. Is she being a little selfish? Possibly. I respect her for being honest and not trying to be something she truly believes she can't.

    What that old saying, if you love it, set it free. If it comes back it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was. Or something like that.

    Thanks, Del. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. Even though I'm happy that he was a great guy to her, I still never really was able to get on board with them. I guess we'll see what happens, though...

      La

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with both of these!

      Delete
  13. In the end, Faith basically gave Adam the "It's not you, it's me" speech.

    If Faith knew in her heart that she couldn't do the whole long distance thing for sure, she should have told Adam right when he took the job and not the night before he has to leave. That's just plain cruel. If a guy did to me what she did to Adam, I would be extremely turned off. I get that she's not ready for that level of commitment but she should have been honest about it upfront instead of giving into Adam's belief that they will be able to work it out somehow. Leaving it for the last night is just extremely immature. But I guess that's Faith's forte: self-destruction.

    On another note, if Faith moans and whines about this decision and gets cranky with her friends later on, she really needs to reevaluate her life-making decisions because this decision was her's, NOT Adam's and she doesn't deserve to bitch about it later on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think she might be making a mistake but it's because she's not ready for it.

    I don't think it's a discussion over whether long-distance is bad or not. I mean, in that case we could even just broaden it and ask whether a relationship is bad or not! There are failure rates at both ends, close and long distance, and I think the issue it the personalities involved, as much as the outside circumstances and your maturity/time of your life at the moment.

    That being said, she might regret it of course. But if she wasn't ready for it, it's a Catch 22. It still doesn't mean it was the wrong decision for her, at the moment.

    That's my take at least!

    http://poetsandheartbreakers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is not the same person she was when she was with Sean. And their relationship was unhealthy before the whole long-distance thing came into play. Either she's being really brave and unselfish by ending things or she's the biggest coward ever for not even trying to see if the best relationship she's ever had with the person who seems like her best friend could work temporarily long-distance. I know which way I'm leaning between the two. That being said, this post was heartbreaking to read. Well done, Del.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I. Am. So. Tired. Of. Hearing. Her. Talk. About. Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. She doesn't deserve Adam plain and simply.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How are we doing, guys? Are we all okay? Do we need to have a cry circle in the comments for Adam and Faith right now?

    None of you are prepared for what's coming. :0)

    -del

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love a good intrigue!!! I can't wait to see what happens next. But like Mum said, I'm in the minority, too. I still never really got on board with them either, but I'm still waiting to see if that changes later on down the line.

      Delete
    2. Del - YOU BIG TEASE! No crying here.
      I LOVE that you say we aren't prepared for what's coming. So often you can sort of see down the road where a story is going, but right now, ANYTHING can happen. I'm on the edge of my seat!!! mum

      Delete
    3. Well, you can't bitch-slap a fictional character right?? LOL! You should give a teensy hint.....maybe it will take people away from the ledge!

      Delete
    4. Could what's coming be the end of the blog?

      Delete
  19. I think people are being really hard on Faith. Is what she did selfish? I think you can argue that but I also don't think being selfish is a bad thing. Faith, whether you agree with her or not, really believes trying long distance will change who she and Adam are as people and she doesn't want that for him or for her so she did something that was extremely difficult and ended their relationship, which in my opinion is an incredibly mature action to take. It doesn't matter if you think she's being irrational or dumb about that, Faith really believes this, she did it for herself and for Adam. Maybe that's selfish to some but I don't think that necessarily means it was a bad decision at the end of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you're trying to say, but we have to remember that the reason she thinks this is because of her relationship (aka, train wreck) with Sean. And she was NEVER herself with Sean, before or after he went on tour. She was living out a pattern of self-destruction. She is the healthiest she's ever been with Adam, tantrums about stupid things or not. The changes she's worried about likely wouldn't happen because she's not the same as she was before and she is not giving Adam the trust he deserves. I think she's being selfish only because she's not giving it a chance and, as a result, really hurting Adam. And because I think she's making a huge mistakes based on past experiences, not based on who she is today. I'm not even sure I want this to turn around at this point. I think I agree with someone who posted earlier and said that Adam deserves better.

      Delete
    2. I feel like you can argue that Adam is being just as selfish, though. He was asking her to do something that she truly believes will cause her to revert back to the person she was when she was with Sean. I don't think it's selfish to refuse to change who you are for the person you're with (which, in Faith's mind, whether you think she's being rational or not, is essentially what Adam is asking her to do...maybe Adam doesn't realize this or maybe he doesn't fully understand how deeply she feels this...), Faith has already been there and done that and NOT wanting to do that again isn't selfish...it's survival.

      Adam made the decision about this job without her. He didn't include her in his decision, at least not that we know of, and maybe that's because he just assumed she'd be on board with the long distance thing or maybe he was just blinded by getting this awesome job that he forgot to consider his relationship with Faith and what taking the job would mean. But, regardless, he made this decision on his own. Faith made the decision to break up with him with both of them in mind.

      Frankly, I think they've both been somewhat selfish but I also don't know that that's a bad thing. Sometimes you have to put yourself above others. Adam did that when he took this job without thinking about Faith and Faith did it when she ended things so she would not revert back to who she used to be. They made the best decisions for themselves and they'll have to live with them in the end.

      Delete
  20. Stupid stupid. She's scared. She'll figure that out and he'll be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  21. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I kind of agree with Faith though, some people just aren't built for long distance, I know I couldn't do it. I think this decision shows how much Faith has grown, and that she does have more growing to do. Great plot twist. as it also twists my heard.
    -Lux

    ReplyDelete
  22. In all honesty, I don't want Adam to quit his job that day and show up on her doorstep. If he decides to come back, I want it to be after he has tried out his new job for a reasonable period of time, because then that will be based on his choices, not for a woman. I also think Faith needs to take that time to check in with herself and see her therapist. She was already worried about her habits after her fight with Zoey, so she needs to get her head straightened out again and be in a good place. Having said that, I hope they get back together again in the long run! Adam said he wanted to marry her so I hope that they cool their heels for a while and then he can sweep her off her feet again when she's ready. She was a little freaked out about the long term commitment too so maybe she'll be ready then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See below; I commented in the wrong spot...don't know how I did that, but it's typical.

      Delete
  23. I don't comment, but OMG! So selfish on Faiths behalf! They are so good together, long distance can work

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel like she uses the Sean thing as a crutch. They couldn't make it work because their relationship was circling the drain long before he left. Also, Sean was leaving to go on a tour where he would be surrounded by alcohol, drugs, and willing chicks in short skirts. Adam probably won't even have time to breathe when he first gets there, let alone meet new women. It's been, what, 2 years since they broke up? She needs to realize that this is a new guy, and a *completely* different relationship right from the get-go.

    I get being nervous and unsure of it, but I also feel like she could do better at it this time around if she could just bring herself to try, *because* she's been here before. She should be able to see the "warning signs", and her friends are there to tell her if she's exhibiting them too. Adam, once he gets there and somewhat settled, can email and call and Skype and all that. I really feel like it could bring them even closer on an emotional level...it's really easy to overlook certain things if you're dating a Chris Evans lookalike that's great in bed (I'm projecting a little there, but the point remains :)). Long distance forces a couple to rely on more than the physical compatibilities.

    If she just doesn't have it in her, no matter who the guy is or what shape the relationship is in, then whatever...I just wish she'd nut up and say so instead of saying it's because of Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhhhhhhh!!
    That's pretty much all I can say at the moment.
    HOW ABOUT A BONUS POST TODAY?!
    (I'm very impatient.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Faith is never going to make any relationship work. She compares everybody single guy to sean and if she never lets it go, she'll always be miserable. People cheat every day, you have to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow...I wanted to type "agree!" after 1/2 the comments on here, since so many make *very* valid - and completely different - points. Amazing how just 1 situation can have so many facets and ways of looking at it. I kind of feel a lot like Cristina Broderick's comment outlines, though. It's a very good compromise of the best possible outcomes, in my opinion. Bottom line: Faith is doing what she believes in her heart is the "right" thing for both her and Adam (whether or not she's making an accurate assumption about the situation remains to be seen. But, she *believes* this to be true at this time). Anyhoo...after all is said and done: I want these 2 hunny-bears together...where they belong. Then, blue skies forever. *Grrrrrrreat* writing, Del! You *do* know how to yank on the heart-strings! Take care.

    P.S...bouncing up and down in impatient anticipation waiting for our *surprise*!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't find words any more fitting than "this sucks."

    Excuse me while I got cry. Alone. With whiskey. And ice cream. And maybe peanut m&ms. I always find it best to wallow for a few days after a rough break up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also excuse my inability to type correctly. :/

      Delete
    2. Whiskey, icecream and peanut m&ms? Damn, gal. You're taking this hard. mum:)

      Delete
  29. This was heartbreaking. I hope she is doing the right thing but I don't think it is. This is the healthiest relationship she has been in ever. I just hope it is not what I think it is. I hope the author is not making room for Mike to come back because that is too obvious. I like Mike but I always thought her and Adam should get together and now I am sad.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heartbreaking.. but it is indeed what's best for them both. They are still young

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm a new reader. I've only read the past couple of posts so far. But this post was really heartbreaking. I barely know these characters and I liked them together a lot! But I also look forward to reading more in the future. I have a feeling a lot of interesting stuff is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete