Tuesday, March 25, 2014

We Need to Talk

I was having a productive morning before the knock on the door came. I’d gotten up early, taken Sasha for a run, showered, and took stock of our groceries to make a list for later. Molly had spent the night at Calvin’s and wasn’t home yet. When I heard someone knock on the door, I had a feeling of dread come crashing over me.


I took a deep breath when I opened the door. It was Adam.

“Well, we better get this over with.” I mumbled under my breath and stood to the side of the door to let him in.

He stood awkwardly next to my couch.

“So.” I said putting my hands in my pockets and walking over to him.

“So…” He let out a deep breath and put his hands in his pockets, “I think we need to talk.”

“Yeah, we do.”

We sat down on the couch and faced each other.

“Let’s just get this over with.”

Adam looked at me blankly.

“Faith, what are you talking about?”

“Look, you don’t have to let me down easy, okay? I can take it.”

“Take what?”

“Adam, I know you don’t love me anymore and I get that so just break up with me, now, okay?” I stood up and winced at how much angrier I sounded than I felt.

“I’m not breaking up with you.” He said out of exasperation. He stood up and looked at me with confusion.

“You said you needed some space! I haven’t heard from you in five days!”

“Because I was mad at you not because I stopped loving you!”

I looked at him in astonishment.

“Jesus, Faith, we had a fight. That doesn’t mean I don’t love you anymore. Why would you even think that?”

I opened my mouth to explain but closed it again and looked at him sadly. He gave up on waiting for my answer and rubbed his eyes.

“I’m going to turn it down.” He said tiredly.

“You are?” I squeaked.

“I don’t want to do anything that you aren’t completely comfortable with so I’m going to tell them ‘no’.” He looked down at his shoes and stuck his hands in his pockets.

“But your career-”

“Will have other opportunities.” He looked up into my eyes.

“Adam, I…I don’t know what to say.”

“You were right. I don’t want a book out there about what we went through without your consent.”

I searched Adam’s eyes and could tell how hard this was for him and suddenly felt like the absolute worst person in the world.

“No.” I said, “Adam you should take the offer. I don’t want to be the person that stands in your way over this. You should take it.”

He shook his head.

“You’re not okay with it, Faith, it’s not just my story, it’s yours and-”

I took a step toward him and gently placed my hand on his chest. He stopped talking and I looked up into his eyes.

“I will be fine.” I said, “This is a huge opportunity for you and I want you to take it.”

“Really?” He asked.

I nodded and then slid my hand up to his neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

“Just…please don’t ask me to read it, okay?” I said when we pulled away.

He nodded and put his forehead against mine. We were both quiet for a moment.

“So…this is actually happening?” He asked.

I nodded and gave him a hug. When we pulled away we sat on the couch and I held his hand.

“I owe you an apology. It wasn’t right for me to demand you not to write it. I was caught off guard and I reacted poorly. And I’m sorry for not thinking about your feelings alongside mine. It was selfish and I’m sorry that I am such an idiot.”

“You’re not an idiot.” He said.

Adam smiled and pulled me into a kiss and I pushed him down so he was laying on my couch with me on top of him.

“Our first really big fight.” I said laying on his chest.

“I know. Think of all the make-up sex we’re going to have.” He joked.

I pinched his side and he laughed.

“We should get started on that right now.”

“Yeah?” I smiled.

He nodded and I kissed him and we basically made out on my couch for twenty minutes. Molly came back home halfway through and started teasing us.

“I see you two have made up.” She said walking in the door, “When’s the wedding?”

I threw a pillow at her and continued kissing him.

“Geez, you can’t even state the obvious anymore.” She said sauntering off into her room and laughing.

15 comments:

  1. This is much better. Adam was going to give up his great offer out of respect for Faith's feelings (even though that wouldn't have been fair to him at all), and Faith finally came to her senses and started thinking about the other person in the relationship she's involved with, instead of just dwelling on her own issues. He would have resented her for putting him in the position of either giving up an important opportunity or losing their relationship sooner or later, anyway, especially after some time to really think about it. This is better, and Faith realizes that she's going to be fine with the book, and just won't be reading it. I think Faith sometimes blows things out of proportion and creates problems where there don't need to be any, but it's great that everything's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not feeling it. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grow up, Faith! It wasn't OK for him to do it until he backed down and let her make the decision for him to do it. Frustrating! So overdramatic. And you don't just fall out of love with a person. Yeah it was five days. Big deal. He had thinking to do. Get over yourself. I'm sure some will think I'm being harsh. I just want to shake this girl and tell her to wake up. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. It would be nice to see Faith make the right decision proactively for once.

      Amy

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with you as well. She's so annoyingly insecure and childish, and without reason. It's pretty much that she just wants attention. She really shouldnt be in a relationship at all.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I feel like I have to stick up for Faith a little. Yes, she did over react some but she was upset, we all do that sometimes. Having a "normal" relationship is new to her so she is still learning. I think she feels a tremendous amount of guilt and responsibility about what Amber did and doesn't know how to deal with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum has a good point: Faith was only ok with Adam writing the book after he gave in to what she wanted, then allowed her to make the decision for what the outcome would be. That's childlike and controlling. Besides, that whole situation with Amber had huge consequences for Adam; he has every right to tell the story, especially considering to advantage to his career. Hope Faith learned a relationship lesson here. It's not all about just her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys aren't being fair to Faith at all! Faith is still trying to navigate being in a healthy relationship and she's going to mess up sometimes and maybe do or say things that don't make sense. I don't think Faith only gave him permission because he was going to do what she wanted, I think she consented because she understood what Adam was going to give up and didn't want him to do that just because of her. Plus I'm not all that convinced Faith actually IS okay with him writing it, it reminds me when she would put aside her own comfort to avoid making her old boyfriends angry or sad.

    You guys are being WAAAAAAAY too harsh on her. Give her some freaking credit! She's allowed to make mistakes and while it's frustrating to see her do that, no one is perfect, and it seems like she is genuinely trying at this and learning from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have anything to say about the above comments but this post was really interesting to me. I'm not sure how I feel about Adam but this post really highlighted to me why she likes him: he grounds her.

    This blog doesn't hide the fact that Faith struggles with anxiety and Adam gave her five days of radio silence for her to go through every worst case scenario. So, on first glance it seems like she just jumped to a ridiculous idea that one fight = Adam doesn't lover her anymore when actually she had five days to convince herself it was true. And honestly with her past history where fighting with her exes often meant just more fighting and feeling bad I don't blame her for that. I can certainly understand it.

    But Adam's response to her is what really stood out from this post at least how I read it. He didn't judge or laugh at her when she said that, he laid it out so she knew exactly how he felt. He grounds her in a way that her other boyfriends haven't and I say that as someone who wants Mike back in the picture but I've go to admit that even Mike didn't do that for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! He really does love her! Yeah, she jumped into conclusions, but most of us do! I'm happy she agreed to the book and supports him. That shows how much they care and love each other

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the minority here but i disagree with him writing the book. I have had some very traumatic experiences in my life and i could NOT imagine them out there for the world to see. I don't think it is being selfish to want something that was so harmful kept among the people that know about it rather than the world. I do not think it was over the top for her to react that way and only someone who has been through something that is truly traumatizing and affects their whole life would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think some of the comments have been a bit harsh toward Faith. We need to give her some credit. I agree that she was very childish and it was kind of controlling, but you have to think of her role models for relationships that she has had all her life. I know that some may not agree with me but look at her parents. As much as she dislikes her mother and her parents relationship she grew up seeing how they worked together and dealt with things and I personally don't think that most of us fall too far from the tree where we were grown/raised. Yes, you can learn to be different and better than your parents but in new and stressful situations we tend to deal with them in the way that we were modeled to deal with them, and she reacted almost exactly as her mother. Plus think of all the experiences she has had with previous boyfriends when they needed space... Sean got another woman pregnant, Mike ended up coming back but she imploded the relationship by sleeping with what's his face (I can't remember his name right now) in the meantime and I'm sure the list goes on and on and in her super dramatic mind she goes to the worst case scenario and then she had 5 days to convince herself that it was reality. Is it realistic? No. Healthy? No. But in terms of her and her past experiences I can see how it would happen.

    As for the book, I don't see it working out. I think it will cause some problems for both of them but maybe it will allow her to grow up and it could be somewhat cathartic for both of them. I could see Faith's mom reading it and it causing a whole new debacle in their relationship at some point, but we shall see.

    Great posts del! I'm happy to see some fun twists and turns and am excited to see where it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ADAM I REALLY LIKE HIM!!!! Also, Faith's reactions are true to her character, and I like the consistency, and also her growth as a person to apologize to Adam and insist on him taking the job. Keep up the good work! :) -Lux

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to know what Sean has been up to. Of course I don't want him back with Faith, but just an update. Is he a good father? Is he still with Karen? I wonder if Faith would accidentally bump into him one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love adam! he is so perfect for faith!

    ReplyDelete