Sunday, October 9, 2011

Breakfast Companions

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door. It sounded important by the way they kept hammering on. I wrapped myself in a robe and stumbled to the door with bed-head and bleary eyes.

“Randy?”

“Faith, I’m sorry did I wake you?” He asked.

“Uh, no, I was just…”

There was a beat. Randy decided to get to the point.

“I was just called into a huge meeting at work and-”

“It’s Saturday…” I said yawning.

“I know, apparently a huge client came into town and wants to have a meeting with the majority of the staff working on their dime. I’m one of them.”

“Okay…” I said not following where he was going.”

“Look, I normally wouldn’t ask this on such short notice but my babysitter, Stacy, can’t come in today. Do you think you could watch Teddy for a few hours?”

“What?” I said a little more awake.

“It would just be for a few hours and he’s still sleeping. I’ll get back as soon as I can.” He said urgently.

“Um…okay.” I said hesitantly.

I looked down at my clothes. I was wearing fuzzy bunny slippers, pink checkered pajama pants, a lacy camisole, and my silk robe. With no bra. This wasn’t exactly how I planned to meet Randy’s son.

“You will!?” Randy said ecstatically.

“Sure. Let me go change my shirt and brush my teeth.” I said wiping sleep out of my eyes and turning around in the foyer.

“You are a lifesaver, Faith!”

Ten minutes later I was sitting on Randy’s couch with a cup of coffee. Randy gave me a kiss on the forehead before he left. I must have drifted off because the next thing I knew I woke up to a pair of big brown eyes staring at me. I jumped.

“Whoa! Uh…hey there Teddy…”

“Who are you?”

“I’m Faith. I live upstairs. Your dad asked me to watch you for a little while so he could go to a meeting.”

“I’m hungry.” He said shrugging his shoulders, climbing onto the couch, and turning on the Saturday morning cartoons.

“Um. Okay. What would you like?”

“Scrambled eggs!”

“Okay.” I said getting up and going into the kitchen.

It took me awhile but I found everything I needed and within 30 minutes there were scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast sitting on the dining room table with two glasses of chocolate milk.

“Okay. Breakfast is ready, Teddy.”

I heard his footsteps running towards the kitchen and saw him bounding around the corner. He looked really excited.

“My dad never makes scrambled eggs!” He said excitedly.

“Well, he’s a busy guy.” I smiled and started spooning eggs onto his plate.

“My mom used to make them all the time.” He looked down sadly.

I didn’t know what to say so I changed the subject.

“Do you want butter or jelly on your toast?”

About an hour later Randy came home.

“Hey big guy.” He said when Teddy ran up to him and gave him a hug, “Faith treating you okay?”

“She made eggs!” Teddy yelled happily.

“She did? Well did you say thank you?”

Teddy suddenly looked shy, turned towards me, and murmured a “thank you”. Randy told him to go play with his toys in his room and he was gone in seconds.

“He’s cute.” I said.

“Thanks for making breakfast. You really didn’t ha-”

“I wanted to.” I said, “There are some leftovers if you’re interested.”

Randy nodded and I went to heat the eggs and bacon up while a piece of bread was working in the toaster.

“Thanks.” He said as I poured him a glass of orange juice.

“How did the meeting go?” I asked.

“Really well. Thanks.” He said as I put the plate down in front of him.

We talked for awhile before I decided to go back upstairs. Randy walked me to his door.

“I really appreciate this, Faith.” He said holding my hand.

“No problem.” I said smiling.

He leaned in and kissed me softly. We broke away and he looked down.

“Cute slippers.”

I laughed and then turned to leave. He followed me out into the hallway and closed the door behind him.

“Faith, I’d like to take you out on another date sometime soon.”

“Sure. Just call me later, okay?”

“Um.” Randy was blushing.

“What?”

“I’m thinking about asking Stacy to stay the night with Teddy. W-would that be okay with you?”

I looked down and blushed.

“That would be fine.”

7 comments:

  1. ahh i hope it works out with randy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as Faith is honest with Randy....she needs to figure out what she is doing!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, and see i was worried that randy was knocking on the door with chris still in her bed!!

    lets hope she realizes randy isnt just a no-strings-attached / friends-with-benefits (oh hey, look, the title of two movies that came out that had the same exact plot haha) type of guy and she doesnt break his and teddy's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Faith is creating a huge disaster for herself. She thinks she's casually dating, but what about the guys. Especially Randy. I think he's getting pretty serious about her and would be devastated to know she's dating and sleeping around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that Faith's actually spent time with Teddy, she's probably going to realize that the little guy (who sounds adorable) and his dad shouldn't be trifled with. She's basically a kind, considerate character, so I can't imagine her only thinking about her own agenda without caring how her actions will affect the father and son. It'll be interesting to see how that translates to their future (assuming there is one) together. This could be a great storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's time to do what Randy did and tell him her situation so that when he comes face-to-face with Sean at Faith's door - assuming he EVER comes back to pick up his belongings or try for closure - there isn't yet another awkward situation that needs to be explained. Randy seems like a very decent person and Teddy will be an interesting addition to the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for the next post! I like Randy a lot.

    ReplyDelete