Sunday, October 30, 2011

Birthday Barbecue

Zoey’s birthday was a smashing success. The barbecue was great, Wesley really knows his way around a grill and Molly even brought Calvin with her. Anna and Theo came with the twins which was a nice surprise. I figured they would have gotten a babysitter but it was fun having the twins there. Calvin is really hot. He has dark hair and eyes and he’s pretty buff. He talked about some of the shows he’s been in and it sounds like he’s really starting to make a name for himself in the city. At one point in the evening Molly and I were alone in the kitchen putting the candles on Zoey’s cake per Wesley’s request and I decided to ask about Calvin.

“So since he’s your date does that mean you two had the big important talk about being a couple?” I asked counting out the candles.

“No.” She said, “I just thought he’d want to come and get free food.”

“Meeting the friends is a big first step.”

“I guess so.” She shrugged.

“I don’t get it. How can you guys be in such a non-committed relationship?” I asked.

“I don’t know. It just works for us.”

“Is he afraid of commitment?” I asked looking for a lighter in one of the drawers.

“No.”

“Are you?” I asked finally finding the lighter.

“No. We just…aren’t labeling what we have.” She said.

“But are you seeing anyone else?” I asked.

“No. We’re comfortable, Faith. We’re comfortable with where we are right now and we don’t need to label it in order to make it what it already is. You know?”

“But how can you both be on the same page if neither one of you ever talk about your relationship?” I asked lifting the cake and carefully walking to the dining room door.

“We just know.” She said.

A round of “Happy Birthday” followed and Zoey opened her gifts. Everyone started mingling again and I continued my conversation with Molly.

“I just don’t get it.” I said, “Randy wants to have that talk with me, about being exclusive, but you and Calvin just know? And you’re okay with that?”

Molly thought about it before answering.

“I really am. I don’t know what’s going to happen between Calvin and I but I think what we have right now is on a good path and I don’t want to think about the future. I like what I have right now and I’m fine with us not having the big talk.”

Just then Calvin came over and Molly started talking to him. I went to go play with the twins. About an hour later everyone from the party dispersed and wished Zoey a “Happy Birthday”. I find Molly’s relationship so odd but I probably shouldn’t be judging her relationship since I’m sick of people judging what I do with mine.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Hope things have settled down and you can enjoy the holiday. I'm glad that Faith acknowledged that she shouldn't be judging Molly. The first part of the post, I was thinking that she was the pot calling the kettle black. She was in no position to give Molly grief about a committed relationship when she, herself, is still juggling two men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont really understand what Faith's deal is. Not everyone sits down and has the relationship talk. and yes, some people are just on the same page without having to have THE TALK. and some people need it more than others. why on earth is Faith harping on that?!

    great post, glad to have you back, you were greatly missed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you're back, Del; hope your mom is feeling fine. Happy Thanksgiving, Ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Del, I hope everything is going okay and that you had a lovely Thanksgiving! I really miss reading the blog.. it is the only good fictional blog that I know of that is still around.

    ReplyDelete