Tuesday, April 5, 2011

He's Home

I decided to make Sean a home-cooked meal for when he got home. I’d been cooking a slab of roast beef in the slow cooker all day and just popped the stuffed mushrooms Sean loves out of the oven. I put them in the microwave so they would stay warm as I finished mashing the potatoes, making the gravy, and putting chocolate brownies in the oven. I was wearing a black, form-fitting dress with the music note necklace Sean got me, some red pumps, fishnets, and my hair was up in a half pony. I looked good and Sean walked in the door as soon as I closed the oven.

He put his black duffle bag down in the foyer and called for me. I came around the corner and we basically made out in my foyer for 10 minutes. We probably would have had sex right there on the floor if dinner wasn’t ready and waiting. Sean looked tired so I told him to go put his duffle bag in my room and relax while I set the table.

“Are you sure? I can help.”

“No, go relax. You’ve been on a tour bus all day.”

I set the table and put all of the food out before calling him over, he was practically nodding off on the couch.

“This looks amazing, Faith, thank you.” He said while pouring me a glass of wine.

“You’re welcome, I’m sure you’d want some real food after living off of fast food and diners.”

Sean told me about the tour and how it’s been going.

“At first, it was exciting but now, we’ve been on the road for nearly a month and it’s sort of turned into this blur of performances. I don’t even know where we’re going next.”

“Oh.”

“I mean, this is great for all of us and our careers but it’s already started taking its toll.”

“How so?”

“Well Karen’s boyfriend dumped her a few weeks ago. He couldn’t handle the time apart and Karen can’t just leave in the middle of the tour. I mean she’s our manager and practically the tour manager, too. He did it via text message. She’s been pretty broken up about it.”

“Text message?” I said wide-eyed.

“Yeah. Apparently they talked on the phone one night, got into a fight, and he ended up giving her an ultimatum: quit the tour and come back or break up. She said she needed time to think and he hung up on her. The next day he sent her a text saying it was over and that she needed to come get her stuff. That’s sort of why we have these three days off.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah, I mean we had a scheduled break soon, so Karen just switched some dates around and moved up our small break.”

“Wow, so where is she staying now?”

“I think her parents’ house? She organized a storage unit to put all of her stuff while she’s on tour and towards the end she’s going to have her sister find her an apartment so when the tour ends she can just move right into it.”

“Poor Karen, is there anything I can do?”

“I don’t think she really wants the attention right now. Oh…hey why aren’t you wearing your engagement ring?” Sean looked at my hand with confusion.

“Oh, I forgot to put it back on. I didn’t want it to get dirty while I made dinner, so I put it in my jewelry box for safe-keeping. I’ll go put it on right now and take the brownies out of the oven.”

I gave Sean a kiss and then went to my room. I slid the ring on my finger, popped the brownies out of the oven to cool, and then grabbed the vanilla ice cream hanging out in my freezer. I cut us both out a square of brownie and topped it with ice cream before coming out and setting them on the table.

“Yum!” Sean said.

I waved my left hand around in a flourish and Sean laughed.

“What a GORGEOUS ring, Faith.”

“I know, my fiancé picked it out for me,” I said smiling, “Isn’t it perfect?”

“It is. A perfect ring for a perfect lady.”

“Well, the ring may be perfect but my fiancé is really the perfect one.”

“Okay…even I’m getting grossed out by how cute we’re being.”

“Me too.”

We laughed and dug into our dessert while I told Sean all about the girls and the issue I’m having at work.

“She just keeps avoiding the meeting. It’s not like her, something is up. Steve told me she could be fired.”

“But Steve is a gossip, right? I mean how does he know?”

“Some of the higher-ups have been coming to our office and meeting with Veronica. Everyone has been talking about it.”

“Yeah but that could be for any reason. The news has been all over the place lately, maybe they just want to be more involved with what is being covered?”

“I guess that’s possible.” I said.

“This brownie is awesome, what did you put in it?”

“I used white chocolate chips in addition to milk chocolate.”

“Nice choice.” Sean said, “So…I have a really important question.”

“Okay.” I giggled.

“Why haven’t we had sex yet? I’m about to rip that dress off of you.”

“I still have the dishes to do,” I said standing up and reaching to collect the plates.

“Leave them I’ll do them later.” And then Sean chased me into my bedroom.

1 comment: