Monday, April 11, 2011

Gotta Love Your Friends

I went to see Bridesmaids with the girls (except Anna who stayed home with the twins) last night and it was hilarious. We all had a great time and afterwards we stopped for dinner at a Chinese buffet. I told them about Sean’s visit and eventually got to Guy cheating on his girlfriend.

“Yep. So he isn’t going to say anything to her.” I said angrily sticking my fork in my beef fried rice.

“Why are you so bothered by this?” Molly asked me skeptically.

“Because Guy is lying to his girlfriend and Sean is basically helping him do it by not saying anything.”

“Oh...so you’re not upset that Guy cheated on his girlfriend.” Zoey said.

“What? Yes I am.”

“No. No you’re not. You’re upset because you think Sean is helping him do it and that somehow means he’ll cheat on you and expect his buddies to lie about it, too.” Zoey said taking a bite of orange chicken.

“That’s ridiculous.”

“No, Zoey’s right,” Molly said, “You’re more upset with Sean’s reaction to Guy’s infidelity than the actual dirty groupie sex. It reminds you that Sean could cheat on you and that upsets you. Totally makes sense.”

Zoey and Molly high-fived while I sat there and stared at them.

“Guys, I am NOT worried about Sean cheating on me. I never have been.”

“Whatever dude.” Molly got up to go get more from the buffet and left Zoey and I at the table. She was giggling at me.

“Zoey, you know about Sean’s problems with sex, why would I be worried about Sean sleeping with someone else when he had a hard time having sex with his girlfriend for the first few months of the relationship? He can’t get it up for one night stands.” I whispered.

“Faith, calm down. If you aren’t worried about him cheating on you then just drop the Guy thing. It’s none of your business and it’s none of Sean’s. Sean was right, it’s not his information to tell and it’s not his business to get involved and destroy his co-worker’s relationship.”

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

“Faith, seriously. He’s going to be on tour for months. Do you honestly think breaking up Guy’s relationship by essentially tattling on him to his girlfriend is going to be conducive to living on a tour bus with each other? Sean has to think about his job with this and telling Guy’s girlfriend would not be in the best interests of the tour, the band, or Sean’s music career.”

“But-”

“Guy is a slimy jerk, Faith but it is not Sean’s place. This isn’t a black and white decision and I’m sure Sean would tell Guy’s girlfriend if it wouldn’t make everything else in his life so incredibly complicated.”

I sighed. Zoey was right. Molly came back with a plate of food and I got up to get more and to be alone with my thoughts. I don’t think Sean will cheat on me…I mean…he can’t physically-speaking but our conversation made me wonder why I am so bothered by this whole thing. I just can’t explain why it bothers me so much. It looks like I’ll need to bring this up to Dr. Sheehan at our next session.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you make it hard to believe this is fiction, especially when you throw something "real" out there like the bridesmaids movie lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even knowing that Sean can't physically cheat on her, it's easy to see why Guy screwing around on his girlfriend is upsetting Faith. She wants to know that, even if Sean COULD physically do-the-deed with someone in a casual way, he wouldn't, and that he wouldn't even want to. Nobody wants to think that her/his lover could possibly be tempted by someone else, or even be interested in the slightest way. It's the whole atmosphere of women throwing themselves at Sean and the others, and the fact that Faith has to picture those situations in her head. It would take getting used to. I still think Sean would have been better off not mentioning Guy's idiot behavior to Faith. Now she has that mental image in her head.

    ReplyDelete