Monday, September 13, 2010

Smash, Crash, and Dash

I called Anna to see if she confronted Elise at work but she wasn’t answering her phone and I decided to drop it. She’d call me when she had something to say. In addition to that, Suzy and Dina were both invited to interview with Veronica so I’m really excited for them. I really hope they both get the jobs that are open because I don’t really know when we’ll have another permanent open writing position and I really do miss seeing them every day. Steve and I have come up with a general policy guideline for the paper but it’s still under review by Veronica and her bosses (we were supposed to have our two interns helping us with it, but they were put to use elsewhere instead). We’ll get any edits, suggestions, or comments on it soon.

Now that we’ve covered all the bases I guess I should get to what I’ve been up to over the past few days: I’m going to dump Sean. We’re done.

I went to his apartment last night because he had a gig-free night and I decided to cook him dinner. When I showed up to his apartment (with my new key) and a bag of groceries he was in the shower. I decided to be spontaneous and left the groceries on the counter, snuck into the bathroom, and tried to join him but he didn’t look too excited about it. He basically got out less than five minutes after I jumped in which didn’t set a very good tone for the rest of our night. When I came out of his bathroom he had already started chopping up some of the vegetables.

“How was your day?” I asked sliding my hands around his waist from the back.

“It was fine.” I let go of him.

“Is something wrong?”

“No.”

“Well then why are you being so cold and short with me all of a sudden?”

He shrugged.

“Do you regret giving me a key?” I asked. It was the only thing that had changed between us since I saw him last.

“What? No!” Sean turned around from his chopping.

“What did I do?”

“You didn’t do anything…”

“Sean!” I said exasperatedly, “What is the problem? Will you please talk to me?”

He stared at the floor.

“I should go.” I made to walk to the bathroom where my clothes were waiting for me.

“Gerry wants me to end it.” I stopped.

“End what?”

“This….our relationship.”

“I see,” I blinked hard.

“I told him no and he said he was going to have me replaced if I didn’t get my act together. He’s already talked to Guy about kicking me out of the band.”

“Can…can he do that?”

“Well, we all started it together so Gerry wants all the guys to agree to it before he makes the final decision.”

“Will they?”

“I don’t think so.”

“But you’re worried they will. Which means…”

“I am not considering Gerry’s demands, Faith.” He looked at me, leaned on the counter, and crossed his arms.

“Demands…as in more than one?”

“Yeah. Gerry wants me to stop seeing Dr. Deerhorn, he wants me to break up with you, and he wants me to sign over the copyrights to one of my songs so some other band under his label can use it instead.”

“But if Jake and Eddie knew what he was doing they wouldn’t stand for it. Why should Gerry have a say in your personal life?”

“Gerry’s job is to make sure the band stays intact. He says that I’m not as focused because of you and Dr. Deerhorn and it’s putting the band at risk. If he convinced Jake and Eddie about that….I don’t really know what they would do.”

We were quiet for awhile. I didn’t really know what to say.

“I’m going to try and convince the guys to look into a replacement for Gerry instead. Either that or I could just lie about you and Dr. Deerhorn and sign my song over to get him off my back.”

“Sean you shouldn’t have to do that.”

“What else am I supposed to do Faith? If I follow through with what he wants I’m going to be losing one of the best relationships I’ve ever had. Where does the line get drawn? What happens if we do break up and I find someone else and Gerry doesn’t approve of them? Does the band have to be sacrificed just so I can find happiness? To Gerry it does. Everyone else is allowed to do what they please except me!”

Sean was getting upset and I walked over to him and gave him a hug.

“This is one of the best relationships I’ve been in, too.”

“Even with all of my…problems?”

I nodded.

We stood in his kitchen embracing for awhile when I asked, “So what are you going to do? I don’t want you to give up your job to be with me. I won’t let that happen.”

“I’m going to talk to Jake and Eddie about it first. If I have them on my side, I’ll be able to better assess my options.”

“Okay.” I said.

Sean gave me a kiss and then turned around to continue chopping vegetables while I went to get dressed. Our dinner was ready in a few minutes after that and we sat down to enjoy it. Sean told me about a song he was trying to write and I told him about work and feeling good about the policy guidelines Steve and I were writing. Then we decided to go see a movie and when we got back Sean was in a very frisky mood.

He basically pulled me to his bedroom as soon as we walked into his apartment and I was giggling because Sean wasn’t usually like this. Within a few minutes we had our clothes off and were getting busy but as soon as Sean lost it there was a brief pause and before I could register what had happened Sean punched his fist into the pillow my head was lying on and scared the crap out of me. Without reacting to how close he had come to hitting me, Sean rolled off of me and sat on the opposite side of the bed. He was breathing hard and I wrapped myself in a bed sheet trying to figure out what to do.

I got up and edged closer to him; trying to put my hand on his shoulder.

“Sean it’s-”

“NO IT’S NOT!”

He threw my hand away, stood up, and kicked a box that was lying on the floor across his room. I slid off the bed and pressed myself up against the opposite wall, still wrapped in sheets, and absolutely terrified. Sean started pacing in his bedroom while I slowly started picking up my clothes and putting them on; he barely noticed. I grabbed my shoes when he punched his bedroom wall and ran out of his apartment, hailed a taxi, and immediately started trembling with shock and fear.

To top things off, Sean came to my work today to try and explain himself but I had Steve send him away without seeing him. I’ve never been so scared in my life and I don’t want to be with someone who loses their temper that fast and nearly hits me which is why I’m going to call him tonight and tell him we’re over.

11 comments:

  1. That's so sad, I can understand Sean's anger because of the pressure of not performing and that stupid Gerry. But I can understand Faith too, it's scary when a guy freaks out like that. Guess she has to do what she feels is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Gerry. I feel bad for Sean, it feels like he is doing his best but there is only so much a person can take at a time. I can understand Faith's decision to break up with him, she needs to look out for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand Faith's fear of being hit but Sean's anger is more toward hismelf than anyone else. He is frustrated with his inability to perform in the bedroom and is under stress from Gerry. He has given no indication that he is a violent person or that he would turn abusive. If those signs creeped in then I would say RUN but they haven't thus far.

    It sounds like Gerry wants to control Sean as much as keep the band together. Because the rest of the band seems to be free to do what they please. Gerry even wants Sean to quit seeing his therapist, which is intended to better Sean's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys punching walls is one thing. Yes stupid and I don't really understand it but the pillow your head is on... that would scare the crap outa me too. I don't know if its forgivable or not, even though I do feel really sorry for Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the pillow-punch was a bit over-the-top. I'm normally attracted to more passionate personalities, so my tolerance for that is probably a little higher than some; I wouldn't want to deal with anything quite THAT volatile, though. It did sound like he got really close to Faith's head - an inch or so off and he could have accidently hurt her. He should have just stuck with punching the wall.

    The poor guy is under a huge amount of pressure, though. Gerry sounds like a diabolical control-freak who's honed-in on the unfortunate Sean to manipulate. Either he doesn't want Sean having other influential people in his life (like, Faith and his therapist), who might convince Sean to call him on the crap he's pulling professionally, (trying to strong-arm him into signing over one of his songs for another band's use? Lame!)...or he's got a more personal interest in Sean. Like, maybe he's gay, and doesn't want Sean seeing a therapist to "fix" his problem with sexual performance. Either way, Gerry's a sleeze. Gross. I hope the band gets rid of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it sounds like they were getting busy when he lost his mojo. So I if he was on top him punching the pillow makes sense. If had hit the pillow out of anger instead of frustration I would be more worried about Sean becoming violent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking that too...about Gerry being gay, or that he has some personal thing towards Sean. Why else would Sean say " Everyone else is allowed to do what they please except me!” Its like Gerry is focusing only on Sean's personal life...
    And about punching the pillow...i dont think he would have really hit her. He is under a lot of pressure, both in his personal and professional life.He just wanted to hit something out of frustration and he hit the pillow, and Faith's head happened to be on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there is a lot more to the relationship between Gerry and Sean than has been revealed. We don't generally try to control someone that we are just 'friends' with. Put that together with Sean's bedroom issues and I think the answer is staring Faith in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah, I think you have a very good point there, Hope. I don't know whether Faith can handle something like that after Dean and Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definitely see why she would break up with Sean... and probably would do so myself. But I do hope that she doesn't take the 'chicken' way out and do it over the phone. I think she owes it to Sean.. not to mention herself.. to speak with him in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Stupid Gerry *shakes fist!*

    Im not sure how to feel about Seans reaction of pillow punching, but based on everything that he has dealt with during this relationship, I think he was at a breaking point. Faith certainly should be concerned, if not a little scared. Obviously I wouldnt know how ED would effect a man's mind, but that CANNOT be an easy path to be on. Poor guy...and poor Faith. They were a really good couple for the most part.

    Seriously *shakes fist at Gerry*

    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete