Monday, September 27, 2010

Movement

I called Anna to see if she’d confronted Elise at work but she just wasn’t answering her phone; it wasn’t until late last night that she finally called me back.

“Where have you been? I feel like I’ve been trying to get a hold of you forever!” I said choosing to forgo a formal greeting and cut to the chase.

“I know but I’ve been really busy.”

“Did you do it?”

“Yeah.” Anna was silent and I started to get very irritated.

“AND?” I pressed her.

“I think we should just drop it.”

“Wait. You confronted Elise at work about her flirting with Zoey’s boyfriend and now you want me to drop it when you were the one who involved me in it in the first place!?”

“Faith, don’t get mad. I talked to her about it and I think it was just a misunderstanding. We all should just move on.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Anna wouldn’t listen to me when I tried to talk her out of confronting Elise or trying to find a reason behind her flirtatious behavior before she did it. I was at a loss for words.

“Look, I talked to her about it and I really don’t think she was doing it on purpose. She said she felt like the three of us were neglecting her and it was a defense mechanism; that she felt horrible after it happened and decided to take some time to herself to assess why she did it. I believe her so we should just move on, okay. She seemed really remorseful about it.”

“Was Zoey around?”

“She wasn’t in earshot and she was talking to Wesley at her table, she didn't notice if that's what you mean. So, anyway, I told Elise that you and I would have a girl’s night with her this weekend. I think she’ll really like that Faith. You’ll come, right?”

“I wish you would have asked me first,” I sighed, “but yeah, I’ll go.”

Anna squealed with happiness and I had to hold the phone away from my head to avoid hearing damage.

“It’s going to be really awkward, though.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Well, she knows I know, right?”

“Yes…”

“I never got the chance to talk to her about it because she’s been avoiding my calls. Now there’s going to be this big elephant in the room.”

“I’m sure it will be fine, Faith.”

I love Anna, but her optimism was bordering on denial at this point.

After we talked for a little bit longer, Anna had to go, Theo had just arrived with some food she’d been craving and she couldn’t bear to hold off from devouring it any longer.

I laughed as I said good-bye and then realized Sean had sent me a text:

I’ve been thinking about you. Love you. –S

I smiled and replied with an “I love you too” text but felt a touch of disappointment while doing so. Ever since Sean and I had decided to stay together, he’d been really reluctant to become physical. It’s gotten to the point where I can sense he’s uncomfortable when I kiss him. I know it’s because he’s afraid that any hint of intimacy will lead to sex and he might actually end up hurting me but I’m still disappointed. We’d been making all of these steps forward and I thought, maybe stupidly, that now that we had both expressed being in love with each other Sean’s impotence would magically disappear like he expected it to. The truth is I’ve been able to coax Sean into having sex twice since that day and both times weren’t any different than before. Granted, he didn’t fly into a rage but we were both disappointed about it and I could tell he was trying hard to not let it get to him.

We’re supposed to go on a date tomorrow and I think we need to have “the talk” about where our relationship is headed. I think it will help Sean in some way if he knows that I see a future with him.

4 comments:

  1. I think it'd be best for Sean to take the meds. I mean this impotence thing is causing all sorts of stress between them, what's the harm in taking a pill. He can still go to therapy to get to the route of the problem. Sexual tension is really stressful, and Sean is probably having a worse time because of the pressure, even though Faith is being very understanding. Anyhoo on to Anna and Elise, I don't know if I'd just drop it like that, I think Faith should talk to Elise herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously therapy isn't going to be miracle cure they expected. And so far the situation has gotten worse instead of better. Maybe he should just take the pills, it may at least lesson the pressure he's probably feeling.

    I don't care if Elise was feeling left out, what she did was shady and wrong. The adult thing to do is bring it up with your friends, not try to hit on one their boyfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise sounds like a trainwreck. Feeling neglected makes you lash out at your friends by coming on to someone one of them cares a lot about? Weird - and destructive.

    I think Faith is being overly optimistic about these issues with Sean. There's a deeper problem causing his impotence. A pill might be a temporary fix, but that's not going to really solve anything.

    Story development is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,I'm new to the story and have just finished back reading all the posts. I haven't read all the comments, so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said. I think Faith needs to talk to Sean openly if she really wants this to work. Gerry is gay and in love with Sean. Sean may have had a gay relationship with Gerry in the past and could have been the "loving" relationship he is referring to when he said he didn't have trouble performing in the past. It would explain a lot of Gerry's bitchy attitude and manipulative actions as well as a good portion of Sean's "issues".

    I love the story and I'm happy to be here, thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete